The randomly nothing thread

Might as well.
It requires as much as skill as gaming.

Despite @Trion explaining it in a pretty crappy way, I generally agree, regards to that esports shouldn’t be considered a future Olympic sport.

Let them have their own major competitions and all that stuff, but it be really weird having that sorta thing at the Olympics. Why does it even need to be one, or even part of it? Once you let a thing like that in, you may as well start including other things like, board games. You’re just going to open pandora’s box with things like that. Keep it simple.

2 Likes

I could be wrong but I feel like some of you may not be looking at this discussion from the right angle. I don’t think it’s really about e-sports being a sport, but rather about whether the Olympics should evolve into hosting electronic events, as well as sporting events. It’s about hosting a whole new branch of competitive events at the Olympics, not about adding e-sports to the list of sports involved.
The rights and wrongs of that are the question at hand here, not if e-sports can be considered as sport. By dictionary definitions, e-sports and sports are different things anyway.

You can say it would open up a can of worms but the difference between this worm compared to the other poor examples mentioned here, such as Cluedo, is that e-sports has actually proven to generate massive global interest and revenues worldwide. Audience figures and money always talk and even the great Olympics can and will evolve.

1 Like

Yep I think you have it right there.

I have the solution though, The E-Sports Olympics (™ me). It would mean they could have much more games involved and it would also mean countries like Ireland might get to host an actual Olympic Games.

That’s just a reverse way of saying the same thing or You are saying “The question is not whether esports is worthy of Olympics, rather if Olympics is worthy of esports” which is even worse.

Revenue & interest shouldn’t dictate the format of an ancient event like Olympics. We are diluting the integrity of the event to make more bucks.
Olympics is a celebration of human accomplishment over physical limits.
running in record time, jumping the highest, jumping the longest, swimming the fastest, etc. These all are physical activities which are rightly admired during Olympics.

We have already diluted that with addition of lame ‘sports’ into the rooster but atleast for them, there is an element of ‘Let’s give these smaller sporting events some exposure, it will be good for its development’.
Gaming on other hand is making good bucks and gamers are earning well, so they don’t need to be involved in Olympics.

Also there are issues with Gaming.

• There are no national teams. current teams are comprised of multi national players.(Apparently incorrect…my bad)
  • Which game is the right indicator of the skillset? FIFA? DOTA? LOL?
    It will end up being like swimming with several branches but unlike swimming it won’t have one main branch because no game maker will consider their game inferior.

Adding a big revenue making sports has not worked out for Olympics so far. Addition of Basketball, Football, Cricket did nothing for Olympics. The audience interest is still low.
Big sports always end up being it’s subset version in Olympics.

We only end up adding new sports into Olympics and making a haywire of the whole show. There are only so many channels which can cover the matches. We end up not giving proper coverage to any event. There is no buildup for even the finals of a sport. There is no romance to the sports unless you have charismatic figures like Usain Bolt in the event.
Imagine adding seven more layers to that with gaming because you have so many games out there and new games will push for the spot as well.

Coverage becomes a big issue. It won’t do justice to existing sports and e-sports.

He definitely didn’t say/imply that.

That’s good.

Yes accomplishment over physical limits. Nobody should be able to dance so fucking amazingly while twirling a ribbon all around them, that should just not be humanly possible!!

giphy

Covered.

Excuse me but there most certainly are national teams! I’ve been in one.

Trion, do some research on the topic before discussing it please. Every issue you have seems to stem from your unwillingness to accept something you don’t know about.

1 Like

I mean I don’t see why esports should be in the fucking olympics lol. Why not have chess in there. And that’s not me knocking it I follow the league of legends prof. scene.

I’m sure the esports scene can get together and have an esports olympics though. Which would be the first logical step for it to take.

My bad. I was checking the other gaming events, saw teams unrestricted to nationality and read somewhere that most gaming teams comprise players from different nationality.

Regardless rest of the point stay.

can you clarify what they are? because I haven’t seen anything thats really made me think otherwise.

Of it not being a sport to begin with.
That’s where logical discussion should end but alas we all have our biases.

Are you aware of why they call it ‘e-sport’ and not just plain old 'sport?

No. Tell us why.

I think you are big enough to put a square peg in a square hole. But here, you big baby.

This is from same wikipedia

Labeling video games as sports is a controversial point of debate.[49][50] While some point to the growth in popularity of eSports as justification for designating some games as sports, others contend that video games will never reach the status of “true sports”.[51] However popularity is not the only reason identified: some have argued that “careful planning, precise timing, and skillful execution”[52] ought to be what classifies an activity as sport, and that physical exertion and outdoor playing areas are not required by all traditional or non-traditional ‘sports’. In a 2014 technology conference, when asked about the recent buyout of popular game streaming service Twitch, ESPN president John Skipper described eSports as “not a sport – [they’re] a competition.”[53][54][55][56][57][58] In 2013 on an episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel the panelist openly laughed at the topic.[59] In addition, many in the fighting games community maintain a distinction between their competitive gaming competitions and the more commercially connected eSports competitions of other genres.[60] Video games are sometimes classified as a mind sport.[61] In the 2015 eSports World Championship hosted by the International e-Sports Federation, an eSports panel was hosted with guests from international sports society to discuss the future recognition of eSports as a recognized, legitimate sporting activity worldwide.

I see nothing in that page that explains why Gaming can’t just be called Gaming, rather than the insistence of calling it an Esports.

There is nothing in there to explain why it should be called Esports?

I request you to elaborate.

You expect clarification from my side of argument, so I believe you could do the courtesy of elaborating what makes Gaming an esport or any sort of sport; and why it should be included in Olympics?

Throughout the thread, apart from revenue & interest, I have not come across a single valid reason why Gaming should be considered as sports & be included in Olympics. So help me out.

don’t cherry pick to suit you. Paste the entire segment or paste nothing. further, differentiating between sport and e-sport should be all the fucking knowledge you need when classifying it.

This?

In 2013, Canadian League of Legends player Danny “Shiphtur” Le became the first pro gamer to receive a United States P-1A visa, a category designated for “Internationally Recognized Athletes”.[63][64]

In 2016, the French government started working on a project to regulate and recognize eSports.[65]

The 2007 Asian Indoor Games was the first notable multi-sport competition including eSports as an official medal-winning event alongside other traditional sports, and the later editions of the Asian Indoor Games and its successor the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games have always included eSports as an official medal event or an exhibition event up to now. Moreover, the Asian Games, which is the Asian top-level multi-sport competition, will also include eSports as an medal event at the 2022 edition; eSports will be presented as an exhibition event at the 2018 Asian Games as a lead-in to the 2022 games.[66] The organization committee for the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris are in discussions with the International Olympic Committee and the various professional eSport organizations to consider eSports for the event, citing the need to include these elements to keep the Olympics relevant to younger generations.

As I said, There are no reasons given.