(Spoilers) House of the Dragon/Game of Thrones

Yeah I was completely disinterested until Cersei sat down with the banker and started making wild promises.

The Lanister’s not only have the best actors but the charisma is captivating. I kinda hope they win.

That was one of the best episodes of Game of Thrones they’ve written.

Usually, the dialogue is pretty worthless, but for this episode, the drama was done well; wonder if they changed the writing room.

3 Likes

Cersei was very good. Not crazy revenge, just the kind of revenge most people would want. Proper eye for an eye without going over the top.

And surprise surprise, she foiled Tyrion’s awful plan. Jaime made it very clear all the reasons not to give a fuck about that castle, yet Tyrion manages to convince his queen that’s the place to send her best fighters. I can understand the logic of the terrible plan to not take the capital, but don’t know why she can’t just fly on her dragons and destroy the Greyjoy fleet. Nobody would give a fuck if she roasted it.

It was very annoying that they did that whole Tyrion doing the pipework monologue as a method to bring down a major castle and then in the next scene 10 seconds of marching towards another major castle and then it’s taken, probably with no losses too. It’s very poor writing when you consider Jaime had the exact same fucking army + the Frey army camped outside Riverrun held by Blackfish and 50 men and it was only negotiating that finally got him in.

It’s annoying that they seem to think anything to do with Dorne or Highgarden can just be whitewashed and nobody will care. All of Dany’s alliances have fallen apart in 3 episodes and I’m guessing there will be little retribution such as Dorne giving a fuck that all their leaders have been killed yet again and doing something about it.

But still, a lot of nice references to previous episodes. Olenna confession the icing on the cake.

1 Like

Credit to the writers for making someone as evil as Euron Greyjoy so likable.

“Does she like it gentle or rough? A finger in the bum?” :joy: :joy: :joy:

6 Likes

I think the actor has a lot to do with that. Watched him recently in Ghost in the Shell and he was sublime.

Maybe it’s just me but I felt like he was talking about the future in that scene, even though he spoke in past tense.

Euron is pretty shite in this show, he’s basically cartoonish

2 Likes

I like him but he doesn’t belong in the show and bears zero resemblance to book Euron.

If anything its Victarion we are watching.

5 Likes

Just caught 30 seconds of the trailer and it’s now on my watch list nice one :+1:

Not a bad episode. Nice to see Tyrion finally having something to do, even if his plan was total dogshit and has led to her queen losing all her allies, which is obviously required to bring her and Jon together.

Agree with @Craigie , how come after about 5 years of endless war the Lannister army is suddenly massive and badass. Aren’t they broke? Weren’t they depending on mercenaries? If they couldn’t take Riverrun then how do they storm a massive tower like Highgarden? It’s a bit like how Ramsay Bolton in the middle of a snow storm is somehow able to field a Calvary of knights numbering into the thousands against Jon Lol. Or how does Euron pop up everywhere with the best fleet every built in about 2 days? Ultimately, it doesn’t really matter, but if these things can be done sensibly in the books, delivering the same outcomes, why not here?

It’s good to see Cersei finally making some good decisions.

1 Like

Unfortunately it seems like D&D are just happy to assume the vast majority of the audience don’t notice any of these things and therefore don’t bother. Who’s really going to call them out on these things when the show generates what it does?

2 Likes

I totally agree with you. If I hadn’t read the books I might not even notice, and for a bit of fun, who cares anyway, right? But it does tell me the writers just aren’t very good, and are very lucky to have been given such kick ass source material.

Haha just saw this. Awesome, we really are cunts aren’t we lol?

1 Like

By abandoning Casterly Rock?

I hate how they keep saying ruler of the 7kingdoms when they clearly aren’t. Jon snow has flat out refused to kneel to you in your castle and your like fuck it I’m still gonna call myself the ruler of 7 kingdoms anyway.

Same shit for Cersi as well.

1 Like

Well I cut it some slack when comparing it to the books because it’s an impossible task to replicate that and I appreciate that I might have been a little unreasonable in the past holding it to the same kind of standards, but now I’m comparing it to standards they themselves have set in the show and I don’t think it’s too much to ask for it to be reasonable and consistent.

Their cop out of “oh we never were any good at fighting anyway” is terrible when it was the Tyrell army that defeated Stannis and saved the city, it was the Tyrell army that Cersei had to keep sweet to hold on to power in the city and in season 2 I’m pretty sure they made it clear this was the biggest army in the war, and now they’re either non existent or wiped out (I know Sam’s dad would have taken some of their soldiers but surely not that many).

They shouldn’t one day be rich and powerful and the next be completely pathetic. The whole thing is about lords and war, there’s no way anybody with a big army is no good at fighting when they’re the ones with a castle on their side.

This is a show that a lot of people believe is the greatest ever. It should be held up to high standards.

haha, well yeah possibly, depending on how realistic we want to be with that. A castle is usually only garrisoned by a few hundred men, and presumably all their best fighters were in the war. Can’t see that suddenly swelling their army. But I guess Cersei needs some men from somewhere or else the finale is pointless lol.

True, but not all of those men came from there. I’d imagine it was a collection of the Casterly Rock garrison and men from Kings Landing.

This is why the series would benefit from having far more episodes, because so much has to be cut. I bet they even filmed the assault on Highgarden, but it never made it past editing.