Arsène Wenger

David Moyes won it with United. Leave it at that shall we.

1 Like

The 6 subs thing is an odd one, but in reality it is an official honour.

I see no issue with there being a minor trophy such as this. As long as winning it is not taken out of context; or rather winning it counts for sod all in contrast to the other honours.

That’s my point. It’s bullshit when people list it as an achievement of other managers, so I remain consistent and completely disregard it in our case. Where were the people on here listing it as a major honour when we hadn’t won it for ages?

It is merely a slightly glorified friendly. What kind of honour or achievement is it meant to be when almost every fan cares more about winning the single league match that follows it?

If you were down the pub with a bunch of mates who support various teams and you started talking about how many CS your team had won as if it mattered at all they’d laugh in your face.

1 Like

@JakeyBoy The premier league is more important than the CS and there is nothing wrong with that.

No sure prioritisation of the biggest trophy in the country is fair reason to question it’s status.

IMO, of course it is reason to question it. We’re talking about one single league match out of 38 compared to a major honour, right?

I know they aren’t sequential in the same way. But if you asked me whether I’d want a win in the CL Final or first league match, the answer is CL Final. FA Cup Final or first league match of the year, I’d want to win the FA Cup Final. That even goes for the league cup final too.

Community Shield? Absolutely not.

I can’t see how that is not reason to question to status. If it was a trophy worth the slightest fuck I’d absolutely prioritise it over a single league match when everyone else will either have 3 or 1 point on the board afterwards. But none of us do, not to my knowledge anyway.

3 Likes

I suppose that does make sense. I have thought about it though, and I don’t know of a single fan that prioritised the league game ahead of our CS outing against Chelsea.

Who was the other one in recent memory? I am mightily hungover and cannot remember so can’t really remember the build up or anticipation for it.

Edit: No scratch that I actually think I do remember the match day thread and that was one hell of a mixed bag.

Very good point when in the community should who would rather win that game over collecting maximum point son Match day 1 ? Absolutely no one so that sums up how important the community shield is.

1 Like

Chelsea was very much special circumstances imo. The fact that Wenger had never, ever beaten Mourinho before added a significance to that game for us that it has never had otherwise. We were all so desperate to finally see us defeat a Mourinho side that the game became one much more important than usual.

After hat match I was happy because Wenger had finally beaten Mourinho, I didn’t care at all bout the trophy. I also remember thinking that I wish he had beaten him in a league match, because that would have much more significance. I’m pretty sure that would have been a popular view. Of course I can’t prove that :slight_smile:

I think that particular CS was an anomaly, not one that can be taken as a typicle example.

I don’t know about the prioritization thing. It’s the first two matches of the season, the priority should be to win them both. As I said before, every time our guys step on the pitch they should be busting their gut to win.

Exactly.
I didn’t really think of that as a proper win for Wenger against Mourinho because it was in a game that didn’t matter.

I agree.
I would settle for six points in our next two games rather than win the CS.
Beating spurs and Man U, is more of an achievement that winning a trophy that no one bothers that much about.
It’s a one off trophy that if you ask any manager, would they swap it for three points, most would accept.

Most managers would rather have a top four trophy than that.

2 Likes

On a side note, I think its lovely looking trophy.
Quite unique actually. Thats the only concession im giving it over any other trophy though.

1 Like

From solely a historical perspective the Charity Shield (as it used to be known) was always a bragging rights game. The FA Cup used to be far more important before than Champion’s League meant qualifying for the top 4 was the best commercial avenue for a club. Back then going to Wembley in the FA Cup final was every kid’s dream, maybe even more so than winning the league because of the occasion of it all.

Back then it was all about focusing your resources on where you could win a trophy so players may have been rested in league games as they went for cups. It was 2 teams with the 2 biggest trophies in the land. And at the very least it ensured bragging rights.

1 Like

Why on earth dosent it count?! Both Wenger and Mourinho played to win that game and there was absolutely nothing friendly about it.

I agree they both wanted to win it but I bet they would rather win the PL game next week rather than that.

The three points you get from winning a PL game could be the difference between winning the league, or even getting CL football.

All the CS Trophy proves is the winner of one domestic trophy beat the winner of another in a pre season friendly.

That may be the case but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s still an official FA endorsed honour of the English game.

We field weak teams in the league cup and would clearly rather win league games, I guess that too isn’t a real trophy?

The community shield follows the ‘super cup’ format, which is a legit setup found in football leagues the world over. It may not be a long drawn out competition, but so what?

1 Like

It is a real trophy, even if it is not particularly prestigious.
But the difference between that and the CS, is that the League Cup has every league club in the competition, but the CS only has two, and is played out of season.

It’s only got the best two, and you have had to accomplish something to be there lol. It’s basically a +1 game.

It’s a ‘super cup’, that’s the point. To gain entry you have to beat every team in the FA Cup run or play 38 league matches and finish first.

This is honestly getting a bit boring now. Most football fans all over the world will favor a league win over a cup and super cup win. Unless we’re looking at some heated rivalries that adds importance to this game it’s really just a glorified friendly with a day’s celebration to it.

1 Like

I understand how it works, it’s just that I don’t believe that because the two teams that won the PL and FA Cup, then go on to win another trophy because they won one of those trophies, that it is much of an achievement.

Being top four in the PL is much more prestigious, and there are no trophies for three of those places.

Do you think that any player that is asked what he has won in his career would seriously include the CS in his list?
It would be embarrassing if he did.

1 Like