Arsène Wenger

Honestly anyone who would go into any match and not care about winning would make me question their love and or intensity for the game. Especially when there are bragging rights and an actual trophy up for grabs. Sanchez is the kinda guy I love, he’s always giving maximum effort.

You’re sort of a dick if you brag about winning the Community Shield.

6 Likes

Yeah but a trophy should be a result of a long tournament.
Getting trophy for couple of matches between couple of teams is ridiculous.

I don’t think even Club world cup is that legitimate.

If you get on the field as an Arsenal player, and you look across at your counterparts on the Chelsea team, and you aren’t out there trying to destroy them, then IMO you are in the wrong business.

1 Like

We couldnt compete for Hazard at the time that was double our transfer, they beat us to Mata, they picked up half of Europe’s top youths. They did Costa/Fabregas the summer before they won the title, that was the first summer we spent a decent amount in. The Ozil summer we only spent 30m net. In the last 3 summer’s before this one we spent around 100m net, that’s on average 33m net per summer. It does take a while for the accumulation of spending money to bare fruit.

So Jose has already won a trophy at Man United then, why is everyone laughing at him ?

3 Likes

Youve basically described how we actually performed against Chelsea for most of the last ten years.

7 Likes

Chelsea was just an example, that should go for any side we come against. Still thats the point im making. The CC is a match between basically the two best teams in the league. So what’s all this bullshit that the CC isn’t a competitive match?

You literally are the only person that thinks this. It’s a pre-season game with a trophy at the end like the Emirates Cup

2 Likes

It’s nothing like the emirates cup tbf.

The more I think, the more value the CS has, TBH.
You need to be a winner of the league or FA Cup to play in the CS.
Let’s say you have 10 CS titles (or just play 10 CS games), means you had won either the league or the FA Cup 10 times…
If you aim for the CS, that also means you are aiming the league title and/or FA Cup…

Correct me if I am wrong.

2 Likes

That’s the point… You got into the game because you won the bigger competition. I mean in certain circumstances you don’t even have to have won anything to participate in a Super Cup, which makes no sense at all.

1 Like

Yep if a team wins the double they just slot in the team that came second in the league. They could easily remove the trophy element and no one would give a shit.

that is not quite usual in the past 10, 20 years… it is more difficult these days to achieve that.
If every time you get into the CS as #2 in the league, well… sorry for the bad luck, hahahaha…

Its more usual in the last twenty years than all the years before that though. :slight_smile:

2010 was the last time the league runners up appeared in it.

1 Like

Start counting from 95-96
There were only 4 double winners… 3 happened in the last 20, and only once in the last 10
United 95-96
United 98-99
Arsenal 01-02
Chelsea 09-10

Arsenal 97-98.

And united 93-94 which is close enough to be counted.

1 Like

Funny how I didn’t see anyone on here defending the prestige of the Community fucking Shield before we won it a couple of years ago.

4 Likes

Yeah but when you see bullshit online about SAF and he’s won 1,890,827 trophies they always count the CS in that. So Wenger should get credit as well. As it’s been states you aren’t plating for the CS unless you’ve done something to be there. It’s not a nothing achievement.

Without the trophy element they might as well eliminate the whole thing. I like it personally. It rings in the new season and brings a lot of excitement especially if your team is in it.