Arsène Wenger

One of the things that has always frustrated me the most about Wenger is that he so often doesn’t adapt our tactics to our opposition but the reason that annoys me is that on those occasions when he does prepare and properly set up and change things for particular opponents he’s absolutely brilliant at it.

I honestly believe he’s one of the most tactically able managers in the sport, but so often he insists on sticking rigidly to his own game yet, like yesterday, when he doesn’t is when we often get the best performances.

1 Like

To me, he wants to stay, but he knows it’s up to our board.

1 Like

Absolutely agreed.

The thing is though for anyone willing to look, he has tweaked and tinkered with tactics consistently for years.

We often dropped into 3 at the back when we had possession during the Arteta years for example.

The issus has always been as you say, rarely is it carried out, or perhaps its rarely has it come off this well.

So, if you had to guess now, do you think he’ll stay? Not what you want, but what your hunch is.

#Will Arsene stay?

• Yes, he’ll stay.
  • No, he’ll go.

0 voters

That’s bittersweet as the FA Cup can be the perfect ending for him. We need to start winning the league now.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s really the right time for him to leave. He can’t do more for us.

1 Like

I’m almost flip-flopping again now, that vote is currently 11-0 but should really be much closer than that.

All about Gazidis now, does he back down now Wenger has the momentum of a cup final win? Or does he stand his ground and effectively force Wenger to walk

I just cannot believe how we’re back in 2014 again, although with the crucial difference of the loss of CL football.

I’m curious to see how this ‘saga’ will influence our transfer dealings. Especially with the very slow, reactive nature of this club. Because of Koscielny’s chronic injury and Ramsey and Giroud not being good enough we need to rebuild our core, most important part of the team. That’s not something we can take lightly. Apart from that we don’t even know if Sanchez and Ozil are going to stay… We need to make 3 to 5 transfers this summer. And not just a sub-striker or third keeper, but actual funtamental blocks.

3 Likes

Wenger and Cashly have both won the FA cup a record 7 times.

1 Like

I have a small feeling he might go you know.

Why would he go? If he in any way intended to go, he could have so easily just said it after the game without repercussions.

FA cup, 75 points, new formation that may have legs… I think they’ll let him have his 2 years. As usual this guy doesn’t properly succeed but he also never fails enough to get himself the sack.

If Klopp, Pep, Conte, Poch or Mourinho had our season then there’s no way I’d be saying any of them deserve the sack, it’s just with us you know this isn’t the first step on the road to something special, this is just the same old so there’s no point continuing with things as they are.

6 Likes

Me too.
I have thought this for a couple of weeks, and after what he said about the supporters yesterday, it makes me think he’ll go.
I would love to know what they are going to be discussing when he meets the board.
Is it about the rumoured director of football, transfer funds or something else, and how much bearing that will have on his decision.

Personally, I think after winning the FA Cup but seeing us drop out of the top four, and possibly losing his best players, he might think he has taken us as far as he can go.

The bookies make him favourites to stay but I think he might have had enough and leave.

I think this result might make him think, plus no CL football so he can put out a 2nd string team in the Europa League (which I think he will do in the group stages), he probably think he can do a Chelsea or Leicester next season and win PL. He definitely will sell it to the board, probably tell them he won’t spend to much either (which will be words to the boards ears not the fans). I agree with you he so badly wants to stay, you can see it. But I do think the board is split on it.

I think it’s another false dawn if he stays, but he always gets a FA Cup or Top 4 that saves his ass from getting the boot. If he stays, I don’t see a massive summer spend, he will stick with a lot of these players and he will bottle it again come the new year. Then you will see the in fighting with fans begin again.

1 Like

Maybe with the current formation and 2/3 good signings we can compete with the other big teams.

1 Like

Honestly, do think it will change. I don’t see him making the right decisions or getting us over 30 wins to get us a league title. This side is a great cup side, I could see it winning a League Cup or FA Cup maybe a Europa League. But over a long season, I don’t think he can deliver us a Title. Really depends on what fans want from our side, I personally wouldn’t just be happy with a Fa Cup and League Cup. I would like us to compete for and win titles, but maybe others think differently. If he stays for another two years, i see him winning us another FA Cup maybe get top 4 again but don’t see him winning us a title.

3 Likes

Well, finishing 4th again and winning two cups next season would make me very happy. I would consider it a progress.

His comments, in the public, regarding the uncertainty of his future, how it has affected the team from the turn of this year are surprising and almost make me think like he’s giving his position some thought. He’s an optimist at heart and everything you read from him; pre/post-match, soundbites, interviews in all stages of an ‘Arsenal’ season are full of positivity and he never lets on that there could be a rift amongst the club or any gory details of who got bollocked for this or that.

The one fundamental catalyst, or part of it at least, that has borked this league campaign (and CL to a degree) and airing it infront of everyone is kind of telling to me that he may well consider his time here.

However, he’s just won the FA Cup for a record seventh time in his career and a record thirteenth for Arsenal, he might think “fuck all of that, I’m in” :wenger:

The majority of the league dont play in europe but dont win the league. Lets get the league and europe out the way by february and concentrate on the cup again. Worked in 3 of the last 4 years.:smiling_imp:

A wise man would walk away now. He’s the only manager to win 7 FA cups. That record will never be broken.
He can walk away now and be remembered for winning 7 cups or stay and be ostrichsized for being a dummy.

1 Like

If the club don’t have a replacement, or if that replacement is Eddie Howe, then he shouldn’t leave.

If he is given two years, he should set those 2 years up to give the next manager something to work with. If we win a title in there, then that’s a bonus.

EDIT: I still think he will announce he is leaving on Wed/Thurs.

If he does announce he is leaving I will cry and applaud the sheer amount of joy and emotion he has given me over the last 20 years he’s been involved. Wenger brought beauty and class to a club and a league that more commonly associated with muddy socks and long balls. Arsene, thank you.

6 Likes