Arsène Wenger

for gawd’s sake just go, you’ve sorta rescued (but not really) a shocking season where we’ve been smashed up by WBA, Watford, Crystal Palace and failed to qualify for UCL, so leave on a high

let’s have a fresh start, spend a good few quid strengthening up and let’s see if a new man can get the squad playing consistently

unless it’s a 3 year deal in which a completely transformed and radically improved squad can be created I don’t see the point of staying even 2 years & 1 year would be a joke.

Like a new man in please

4 Likes

Would be the smart thing to do, but I still believe his ego won’t let him leave until he wins the PL title again. I’m sure that result agaisn’t Chelsea will have him thinking that next season we can do it. I’m hope I’m wrong cause I’ve always stated that Wenger has been our biggest stumbling block to taking that next step for years now, and winning three FA Cups out of the last four is a great achievement, it shouldn’t paper over the cracks of how he’s failed in PL and CL. Best thing the board can do is to let him walk out with some dignity, Unlike one or two on here saying they will cry I be relived he’s gone and excited for our future.

2 Likes

The only realistic replacement is Tuchel so Wenger has to stay.

While it was great to see him hoisting a trophy over his head and flashing that smile of his, I still don’t feel that this is worthy enough of him staying, IF, there are better managers out there.

The FA Cups have been a great accomplishment, but in today’s world of club football, the FA Cup takes a back seat to he Premier League and the Champions League, and there should be zero debate about that… And it’s also no argument that we’ve been shit in both of those competitions for nearly a decade. Our last true title challenge was in 2008, CL in 2009. Personally, I think him seeing Leicester City win it last year convinced him that anything could happen and that the 2nd place finish, despite it being handed to us by Spuds, was an indication that we weren’t far off.

Bottom line, if we cannot hire someone heads and shoulders better than Arsene, then his new contract should be an absolute transition period. Give him his two years, but it has to be clear that if we do not put up a title challenge next season, he does not get his second year.

3 Likes

Fuck the Premier League title. Arsenal should fully focus on the Europa League. There is no way we’re going to get close to the Premier League crown anyway.

For people saying the EL is worthless; Wenger has never won an European trophy, we haven’t won an European trophy since 1993 and winning it gives us direct entry in Champions League. Those three reasons are enough to prioritise Europa League over the Premiership.

6 Likes

If you do that though, we could be right back at square one in 2019 when we’re out of the Top 4 and KO’d in the Champions League…

…unless we fall to 3rd in the group stage in 18-19 and go on to win the Europa League for a 2nd year in a row. I could handle being the new Sevilla for two seasons. :smiley:

I do want to see Wenger gone. I wouldn’t be that happy if he is still our manager in 18/19. But Europa League should be our priority next season. With or without Wenger.

The attitude towards it coming from some people supporting a club who only won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the Cup Winners’ Cup, boggles my mind.

5 Likes

No to this on both accounts. Saturday was great but cant hide over the constant failings. Also theres a world of managers out there who would be tempted into a club like this and hefty salary to boot.
Peoples attitude are still on cloud 9 from the weekend in some cases but need to remember the bigger picture.
That condescending attitude to the fans in the interview tell you were we are with the man.

2 Likes

The Times now reporting he’s set to sign a new 2 year contract. Announced on Wednesday.

1 Like

Sorry but disagree totally! He is quite right to say behaviour of some of the so called fans has been disgusting & shows a total lack of respect! We are all entitled to our opinions, but these should be stated with decency & respect at all times! Of course winning the FA Cup isn’t the be all and end all but it proves he is still capable of winning things! Remember only 1 club can win the League & CL and we have to compete with clubs spending millions! No club is entitled to anything and it’s important to have realistic expectations always!

1 Like

Club have left it late in the day to hire a replacement. There needs to be a handover period & it’s important AW is there to see this through. Whatever happens I would like him to always have a place at his beloved Arsenal as he has proved his worth a million times over & loves our Club with all his heart & soul!

1 Like
7 Likes

That’s true but when spurs and Leicester are finishing way ahead of you, as well as Liverpool, then something is clearly not right.
They spend a lot less than us.
We finished behind five clubs in the PL, and all of their managers have only been at those clubs for 1-2 seasons, so Wenger doesn’t really have much of an excuse.

I don’t agree with supporters abuse of Wenger, but this situation has been going on for several seasons and the stagnation of the team has been steadily getting worse.

It’s ironic that after all those seasons of watching Wenger repeating the same mistakes, in the last few games of this season he has changed things around, and it’s transformed us into a winning team.
So why, after all that time, did he change?
Was he so desperate he tried something new?

Supporters have every right to criticise him, as long as that doesn’t turn into abuse.

1 Like

I feel that he absolutely wants to stay but that he has been deeply affected by the behaviour of some of the so called fans, and that the Board haven’t given him their full backing. He is a very proud man & such things are bound to have got to him. I desperately want him to stay but fear he may have had enough! Him criticising the fans, taking sly digs at the Board & keeping his FA Cup medal (he has never done this before) all indicate he will go. He would never and has never done these things before. Really hope I am wrong & he will stay with us & get the chance to rebuild the squad…he deserves this…

1 Like

Trollol?

1 Like

Yes of course supporters have every right, but they don’t have the right to be abusive & disrespectful! Instead of blaming Mr Wenger, what about the Board & the players? I think the Board just see the club as a cash cow& aren’t interested in winning things (icing of the cake for them). Many of the players have let the team down at times & have just been coasting…

1. List item
1 Like

Agree - nobody should have to put up with this type of behaviour! After all what has he done to deserve such vitriol - he hasn’t murdered somebody for goodness sake!! So called fans need to get a true perspective on things! He has borne all of this with fortitude and strength when a lesser man would have been felled by it!

2 Likes

I think the board are more to blame than Wenger, in fact I have nothing but contempt for Kroenke.
A few seasons ago I wanted Wenger to stay, but I also wanted him to change his attitude towards transfers and persisting with certain players.
This didn’t happen, and the performances became predictable and stagnant, like Wenger and the team, and consequently we have dropped out of the top four places.

I also agree that several players have let the team down, but Wenger buys those players and coaches them so he should be responsible for those performances.
Wenger is also the person who persists with those players even though it’s obvious they’re not good enough.

At some point Wenger has to turn round and admit he is responsible, and that it’s not the media, or ref’s, or the supporters fault, but he has never done this.

I’ve never heard him admit he has been at fault for the mistakes he makes, and keeps making.
If he did, perhaps supporters would have a bit more sympathy.

1 Like

Agree with some of what you say but at the end of the day, it’s the players who play the matches. The Manager obviously sets the side up & gives tactics, but if the players don’t perform on any given day, what can any Manager do about that!? Mr Wenger has written to me many times & I can tell from these letters how he feels & where his heart and soul lie believe you me…

1 Like

Bollocks. Do you have this high moral stance when our fans abuse opposition players or fans. No you dont. Oh and by the way has any fan tried to assault or throw anything at him. I only respond with that because of your Wenger hasnt murdered anyone shout.

1 Like