Shkodran Mustafi (We got himmmm!)

Maybe or maybe not.

I’m surprised that a hugely successful guy from the city like you, that deals with billion dollar contracts every day doesn’t care about a couple of million saved.

1 Like

I work in investments. Money saved is money not making (much) money. If you’re worried about a couple of million at a company/entity that turns over 300 million plus A YEAR and is pulling in net straight profits of about 25 million a year then you’re doing it wrong. That couple million is much better off being reinvested than saved. It’s even better for a soccer club to use it to buy a player because you know what AKB’s like to do, they like to amortize EVERYTHING. A couple million on top of a 20+ million fee is nothing when you amortize it out.

2 Likes

What about inflation? Arsene never seems to talk about that beyond saying prices went up.

The £150m sitting in the bank is probably going to be worth less next year because fees just keep going up!

3 Likes

It’s not even really “inflation”…inflation as an economic tool is amazingly low at this time…it’s just a general COLA at this point for lack of a better term (Cost of Living Adjustment). Like I always say, a can of Coke cost 50 cents 10 years ago, it costs a dollar now…there hasn’t been any real inflation in that time period. The spread between what things cost and the value of money however moves in tandem, Coke would be stupid to sell their cans for 50 cents right now when there is so much more money to be spent.

Times are good right now I think we’ll be looking back in a few years asking ourselves why we didn’t build during this period our money is as valuable as it’s ever going to be imo. A nice balance of spending and saving would be perfect right now but we’re not spending anything.

2 Likes

Yea, but that idea doesn’t really work with buying players. That additional X million spent on players is gone when you have the player (it’s not going to give you any additional dividends). You’ll maybe pay a million less on taxes but that’s it.

In general I agree though, but if we are to spend a majority of the money (yea, I know) paying 5m less if you can is still going to favor the club, which basically is my argument. That’s not saying that I agree with having 200m in the bank, but that a million saved is a million saved.

Also regarding inflation, there’s definitely inflation on the market the club is acting on, which makes any amount on the transfer market worth considerably less in the coming years. As you say, it’s better to spend it now than having it sit around for no real reason.

It only doesn’t work if your goal isn’t to win everything, which the club have stated is the goal.

It’s not inflation though, there is more cash available to clubs than there has ever been in history, players cost more than they ever have in history…it really makes perfect economic sense. Wenger just doesn’t want to buy players for what they are deemed worth by the market, he just wants to use the players he thinks he got good deals on.

2 Likes

We’ve basically been holding that money so we can all be fucking told “told you so” when we need it because we fall out of the cl…even though we won’t even actually need it then either.

3 Likes

Well said, Morris.

The other thing to note is that even though Kroenke doesn’t “take any money out of the club”, he still uses that massive cash reserve and insanely great financials each year to get loans, to get credit, to leverage better deals on everything else he is doing including building a massive stadium in LA to do the exact same thing to those American Football fans as he’s doing here. I’m sure he’ll find a coach/front office for that team to run things exactly Wenger and Gazidis do it here.

The thing is there aren’t many Wenger’s out there, so the likelihood that things won’t get shaken up pretty well if he leaves is pretty small for me. The manger is easily changeable, which is why I want Wenger out, it’s nothing personal really, it’s just the only piece of the puzzle that we as fans can steal to poop in the ownerships punch bowl.

1 Like

true true

I guess that could be another full discussion on how much prices have gone up to how much money the clubs do have now, but at least to me it feels like transfer fees have gone up highly disproportional to how much the TV deals added.

Anyway, I think we should just let this rest for now. No need to make this into a “Not the Mustafi thread”.

2 more weeks until this gets sorted on deadline day.

I didn’t said that, but I posted an hypothetical scenario at the end of this transfer window. I repeat, we need to wait 13 days to judge without be populist.

Well then you’ve nothing to worry about do you.

1 Like

I hope that if this move happens we announce it with the hashtag #shkodgoals

3 Likes

My mate sent me this tweet :facepalm:

He has 35k followers and probably the half of them are Arsenal fans who trust in him after one million bullshit tweetted.

That is actually quite good Jake lol.

I wonder what the founders of arsenal would have thought of Arsene Wenger

FF name if he signs :ok_hand:

1 Like

They’d probably think he smells quite nicely for a start.

1 Like

It’s gonna be his 3/4 medicals :wilshere: