Shkodran Mustafi (We got himmmm!)

How are you even a fan?

3 Likes

That’s a tad over dramatic…

Some are acting as if Wenger has killed their healthy mother.

2 Likes

This is fascinating.

First we leak that we’re exploring alternatives like Simon Kjaer. Then Arsenal via David Ornstein leak that the reason for the stalling is to spend more money on a striker. Mahrez signs a new deal at Leicester and Valencia leaks that they’re exploring alternatives like selling Mustafi to Liverpool.

Today we leak that we’re looking at other options.

I wonder if this kind of negotiating has worked for Arsenal before. I can’t remember it working in the past.

Probably this man, Kaveh Solhekol, has linked 10 defenders during last week.

Have we even placed a first bid for Mustafi?!

1 Like

Who the f*ck knows? Hoping we have some top qualiteeeee rabbits out of hats very soon, but it is feeling like an absolute second shambolic summer in a row, which is inexcusable given our status and funds.

1 Like

Would be fucking hilarious if this didnt happen and he went to someone else. Would totally sum Wenger and his penny pinching way up

1 Like

Why are we looking at alternative options other than Mustafi to save the extra for a striker.

This is rubbish.
We aren’t going to spend that much on a striker anyway, if at all, so we might as well get a decent defender.

The joke is, we spent almost nothing last season so we should have at least two windows worth of money to spend in this one.

In two transfer Windows we have spent around 40m at an average of 20m per window.
We act like a small club struggling to beat relegation, rather than a top European club.

2 Likes

I think people get too hung up on the whole submitting a bid thing. We can still be negotiating without making an official bid.

For example, what’s the difference between:

(i) Submitting an official bid of ÂŁ25m that gets rejected; and
(ii) Making an inquiry with Valencia where we say “we will bid £25m” and they tell us to fack off?

There is no difference. Making 2 or 3 further bids which ultimately lead to an accepted fee is no different to having protracted negotiations that leads to the same outcome.

The real problem would be if we aren’t submitting any bids and we aren’t engaged in ongoing negotiations with respective clubs…

4 Likes

The problem here though is that the fee is the issue. we know the bid that needs to be submitted to get the player and we aren’t doing it. If personal terms weren’t agreed or something else then I would agree with you but that’s not the case. Make a bid, force Valencia to see a check for 20 million in front of their face and reject it at the very least. They are in financial difficulty…why are we letting them boss us in this deal?

I get where you’re coming from Sol. However the difference being that one opens up a dialogue and shows a bit of etiquette. We need to do this as we arent an oil club that can just throw big money that a club will find hard to refuse.

Furthermore we are known for not disclosing fees. This is because we try and incorporate clauses into the fee… such as ‘x amount after x appearences’…bonuses for winning trophies etc. I believe the deals we do are far more complicated than most as we can’t stump huge amounts upfront so have to contractually oblige to further payments down the line - hence strung out negotiations.

The more it drags on the more chance of shit happening. Tottenham were pretty sure they had Willian in their hands until Chelsea came along.

We’re supposedly the only decent club in for him, but we’re only in for him because Mertesacker came down with an injury. So what happens if Cahill or Bailly get taken out for 6 months this weekend? Maybe they’ll go on the market and see that here’s a decent player at an affordable price completely available, he’ll do.

1 Like

We may go back to Evans in the end…

We can’t? Or we won’t?

No club pays huge amounts upfront…

When Madrid signed James Rodriguez, the €75m transfer fee was paid over 3 instalments, €25m after his registration, €25m the next year and the final €25m was paid last month.
Leaked document

This is the norm, even for transfers involving smaller fees.
Bernardo Silva

3 Likes

If anything our large cash reserves mean we can pay more upfront than most clubs

I’m sure we got santi for so cheep coz Malaga needed £15m quick to stop going bust and we were the only team willing to pay that much in one go or something like that

1 Like

I think Valencia have been clear: we have never bid for him, just made an enquiry.

Valencia need to sell Mustafi to stop the problem with the FFP and buy the replacement. If they will sell Abdennour, they will solve the problem with Uefa but they will be not capable to buy a serious replacement and will be costricted to play with Santos. The hen with golden eggs is Mustafi.

Arsène knows that and is waiting the right moment to sign the german for a less fee than Valencia are requesting at the moment.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see what we do with that 1 million euros that we’ll end up saving.

9 Likes

Maybe Mustafi was just a smokescreen and Evans was the CB that Wenger was really after :grinning:

1 Like