Manchester City - Arsenal (Premier League)

Wenger sends the team out with little or no instruction and does subs on or around 70 mins regardless. If it works hes a genius if it doesnt hes a fool. Yesterday we score early and then appear to not know what to do next. City sensed this but at half time u think we might do it. But no they come back and allow themselves to be out muscled . You can blame the officials but we were shit too. nothing will change though. Wenger simply doesnt motivate them and they are so precious and cosseted that they will never withstand any pressure.Similarly there are times u need a leader on the pitch to rally the troops . Wenger doesnt like strong leaders as they might conflict with him as they have done in the past . It shows !

2 Likes

Yeah I remember that :joy: Iā€™ll predict 3-0 losses everytime now

I was thinking I might start predicting losses tbh. Last two calls have been abysmal.

The mentality is a big, big thing for us and itā€™s so noticeable. I also believe that we need almost all the components on the field to be able to play the way we want. Mustafi, weā€™re missing this guy a lot. He can thread a pass from the back straight into the final thirds feet in a switch and I think we desperately missed this trait yesterday. And whilst he may not have been the overall factor of a result here, our efforts in changing the game and hoofing it to no one was a complete waste of time.

Very frustrating week for us.

2 Likes

I want to see a clip of that one particular phase of play where Arsenal lost possession more times than any phase of play Iā€™ve ever seen.

It was the most open big game of the season and perhaps the easiest away game we will play all year. It would have taken only 6-7 passes to unlock the door. Yet we couldnā€™t control the ball enough to manage even 3-4 passes for most of the match.

Iā€™ve rarely felt so physically sick watching a football match. How can our team perform that far below its ability? The ability is there to carve City to pieces, but the execution of the passing, touches and dribbling were frighteningly poor under the slightest bit of pressure. When you hold any kind of expectation for the side in terms of its basic technical ability, it was a horrifying sequence of broken, disjointed and non-cohesive play. I donā€™t care how big a pessimist you are, the quantity and manner of turnovers will have shocked the hell out of you.

I genuinely donā€™t give City any credit. This match was one of the clearest definitions of a thrown game as there has ever been. No other team in the Premier League would lose that game once asserting that much exploitive and incisive superiority.

I can barely stomach watching Arsenal again after seeing that. Does Wenger have any motivation left other than to continue making a massive yearly salary? If heā€™s human Iā€™m not sure how he could. He truly had no idea what to do last night when the team couldnā€™t pass and control the ball. Heā€™s so weak and dishonest to mention the offsides.

8 Likes

Not as weak as he was saying we have put in a good performance thats why it is very difficult to accept coming away with nothing.

Havenā€™t read a single AKB defence attempt since this match yet as well, so either this one result was particularly shambolic (even for FreddieKlein, JohnnyH, Kaner and co.) or else the hardcore AKBs are becoming a critically endangered species.

3 Likes

Missed the second half. First half I watched in a long time and we were 1-0 up against City! I guess Iā€™m a good luck charm.

That or weā€™re just shit and shit eventually runs downhill.

Yet another shambolic performance. Wonder where that mental strength was that Wenger goes on about so much?

Pathetic 2nd half. Sat deep the whole half and just allowed the pressure to build. Its a crazy way to play especially when you have the players to hurt their defence, which isnt the best. Instead we didnt create one chance in the 2nd half. Im surprised we even won a tackle we were that poor

Trying to walk it out on the edge of the area when surrounded by City players. Just clear the fucking ball and set up again to defend. Dont fuck about trying to walk it out and then lose the ball. Lost track of how many times we did that

Ozil was just an embarassment 2nd half. He wasnt alone but if he is wanting a certain amount per week then he really needs to step up in a game like this. Probably touched the ball twice in the 2nd half and id be amazed if he even broke in to a sweat

The last 2 results have been coming. Results have papered over some truly shocking performances. I heard Cech say after the game that he thought we were in control 2nd half. Iā€™d love to see it when he thinks we are struglling and under pressure

A total lack of guts from our team yet again. Weā€™ll get slaughtered in the papers and rightly so. Every year we bring this on ourselves with our lack of fight and passion

Oh and yes the 2 goals were offside (first one could of gone either way) but that doesnt hide the fact that we didnt have one shot on target 2nd half, showed no fighting spirit and no desire to get back in to the game

Still, we have a few quid in the bank and have quaified for our annual exit in the last 16 of the CL so all is great!

Oh and one more thing, the players who didnt go over to the away fans at the end should be ashamed. No matter what happens on the pitch they should always go over to the away support. Our away support is superb, even when we throw up dross like yesterday

5 Likes

This interview sums up why we are not winning the league again. What a shit mentality.

3 Likes

Why does the website waste time and space with shit interviews like that one? Jesus that was a tedious, albeit very quick, read.

2 Likes

on whether we can still close the gapā€¦
Yeah, weā€™re gonna keep on going, fight until the end and see where we go. Weā€™ll just have to continue how we were playing at the start of the season.

on what happens nextā€¦
We just have to continue the way we were playing at the start of the season. We just have to get that back and kick on now and prepare well for the next game.

Making use of his wide vocabulary there I seeā€¦

1 Like

Certainly not all footballers are word smiths lol

He is right we need to look forward, winners are defined by how they handle the tough times and all that. He is not right they were unfortunate imo, they were shite, nearly all of them. They lost pace, accuracy, movement, marking, passing, spirit, attitude, everything. Fuck it, we couldā€™ve scored another 2 and won it 3-2 if we had the drive Everton showed a handful of days ago, City werenā€™t even good, thatā€™s why this defeat is so frustrating.

A full resting week, then some easier games, 4/5 of the last games have been away, time to get some wins going.

1 Like

yeah biggest failure for me was that City were there for the taking and looked weak and brittle at the back and we didnā€™t take advantage or get on the front foot and crush their neckā€¦ it was a limp response to getting ahead and an absolutely abominable second half.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think this team knows how to be ruthless it isnā€™t preached or drilled into them. In the very few cases it happens itā€™s the exception not the rule.

Going up against City they looked lost as to what to do after going 1-0 upā€¦it was almost sad watching it. This is one of the reasons Fergie was so great, personell came and went but one thing that was constant was the killer mentality of United, if they smelled blood in the water they would finish you. Hell, most teams had already lost the mental battle before turning up.

And in the event that United were behind they just kept grinding and grinding until they broke you, we donā€™t have any ounce of that kind of mental fortitude and Wenger is to blame.

1 Like

Spot on about Fergie - guy was an absolute maniac about winning and delivered.

And then get thrashed at the Bridge :wilshere:

lol yes something like that. Or we beat them again, they win the league, we beat the winners back to back again like last season lol

1 Like

we have ~6 fixtures that are very winnable now - does feel a bit like 16-18 points minimum needed to try to narrow the gap a little bit. Chelsea will have another wobble, but their overall defensive solidity and number of talented attacking players makes me a bit worried. We need them to hit injury crisis.

1 Like

Well, it would be typical Arsenal :wilshere:. Beat Chelsea, then lose at home to Hull.

1 Like