Julian Draxler

Why is this term only used at Arsenal? It’s just another excuse for not strengthening imo.

2 Likes

I never think signing a wide player is our priority this season.
CB, striker a must.

However, when using the term “luxury”, at least we have both qualities and quantities on one specific department.
We have a bunch of wide players, yes, but qualities? Besides Sanchez, no one is up to the standard. It is not limited to Draxler/Mahrez, if having a player that is better than what we have, even marginally better, it is not luxury. Better is better.

3 Likes

But unfortunately, whether you like it or not, we operate on a budget.

And, as almost all Arsenal fans have begged for since January 2015, it is striker that hits priority behind our desperate, injury-forced, need for a CB.

Therefore, being outside our immediate priorities, the winger is a luxury-signing, particularly when you consider Arsenal’s spending habits.

There is no point complaining about our policy, as it will just exhaust you, and I.

If we get another wide player, we can sell, right?
But you are right, we do have a budget. If we can’t sell, it is difficult for us to buy.
Then my questions would be, why do we have that many wide players, taking up a lot of spots and eating up a lot of salaries? We have Sanchez, Theo and Welbeck (both can play as strikers but they are most like wide players than strikers), Ox, Campbell, Iwobi, Gnabry, and Wenger likes to insert Rambo and Jack as wide players also. It is not more than enough, but way more than enough. Oh, I forget, Gibbs, sometimes used as LM/LW also. Santi, would be another wide player if not playing as CM/AM.

Your frustrations are valid.

But I think it is time to give Ox a solid run of 15-20 games, and see if he comes into form.

He’s our only hope…

…unless we sign another.

2 Likes

Bullshitter site. I hate it.

1 Like

Yeah, we don’t have much choices left.

Wouldn’t hold my breath tbh muscle injuries going around like a common cold atm

Wolfsburg did by saying that he’s definitely staying, which makes this agent talk as far as I’m concerned and someone trying to buy him that isn’t us.

1 Like

Next article: Draxler pens new 4-year deal with Wolfsburg

11 Likes

Would be a typical Wenger signing though.

Needs a defender. Needs a striker. Buys another attacking midfielder.

1 Like

Could also be another typical Wenger missed out

“we were so close to sign him…”

2 Likes

Is true the news about Volkswagen who are ready to start the spending review and want to reduce the funds destined to Wolfsburg?

1 Like

Winger is not a luxury.

Last season Alexis was shit. Had to play him though, because he’s the only good winger.

On the other side, Theo was shit, nearly every game. Ox was getting worse, but continued to get picked until he was injured because there was nobody. Campbell impressed with his work rate but couldn’t get picked.

Iwobi made some good impact, can he do that every season now? Gnabry has had a good summer, are we just going to pin our hopes on him and roll the dice? Hope Jack does well there, despite being lazy? Hope Ramsey can do a job?

We’ve needed quality in this position for years too. If we want to win the league, this is one of three positions that need strengthening to get there. Sure a striker might make more impact, but it still won’t be enough alone.

14 Likes

I read he’s trying to get out of Wolfsburg, he would seem a pretty no-brainer signing for us, no?

1 Like

Which automatically means we won’t be signing him lol.

If I recall he was trying to get out of Wolfsburg over the summer. Wolfsburg 15th in the table right now, not sure they’ll be willing to get rid of Draxler now but then again I’m not really sure how relegation finances work in Germany. Maybe now would be a good time to get the club’s wage bill looking leaner in preparation for some down years.

They have hinted (Klaus Allofs, specifically) that both sides want to part ways. Wolfsburg have to reduce spending big time and Draxler can’t be bothered to turn in good performances after the differences in the summer. He’s been god awful so far, no assist or goal to his name, and I’m beginning to think getting him would be an actual gamble instead of the no-brainer it used to be.

3 Likes

or maybe he is purposefully playing shit so they will sell him, and as soon as he gets his move you will see the good performances again.

That’s not the type of professionalism I expect from young players.