Julian Draxler

That’s the attitude of most footballers today tbh.

It’s nothing new, that’s just modern football.

He’s an interesting and skilful player but he wouldn’t really solve our scoring problems so we’d need someone else to come in with him. Anyways he’s linked every window and it never eventuates lol.

IT’S HAPPENED AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN
IT’S HAPPENED AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

JU-LIAN DRAXLER LINKED TO ARSENAL, IT’S HAPPENED AGAIN!

That’s some solid level of bullshit he’s trying to pull off and every club and fan base would be absolutely up in arms after reading it. No fucking idea what he was really expecting, especially knowing that he had solid offers in the past and could have just moved from Schalke straight to one of his desired clubs.

His transfer from Schalke always seemed like a residual effect of the money from the KDB move to City. I can’t understand it from his perspective and I certainly don’t understand it now. Could simply have been a case of the kid being pushed out as the offer was too great. Arsenal and Juve showing interest in him isn’t the same thing as us putting in a legitimate bid.

Wenger does like him but he’s courted Gotze for a number of years and we’ve never really went in hard for him either.

Playing better football usually also leads to more goals which he can provide.

I thought we were really rubbish and ineffective with our possession last season. We really need to work on that. It was not just not being clinical enough in front of the goal.

1 Like

You know, I’m somewhat undecided about this. General consensus among fans is that players and their agents have too much power and force transfers despite contracts they’ve signed. But just look at the Schweinsteiger situation. He has a contract with United, yet they clear out his locker and demote him to the reserves. Obviously, they don’t value him any longer and want to force a transfer. The same can happen to a player: Draxler has seen that Wolfsburg lacks ambition, sells their best players (Kruse to Bremen today) and maybe one year with Hecking is enough to realize he’s not going to take a young player to new heights, as well.
I think he saw WB as a wealthy and ambitious club gunning for the CL qualification every year and maybe they’ve told him they’d strengthen the squad. Instead they’ve finished mid table, sell all their best players and it doesn’t look like they’re getting any good alternatives. Of course he wants to leave. And I’m pretty certain the club he wants to join is this one. Not the greatest career play, though.

1 Like

Maybe the Volkswagen emission violations and the fines they had too pay have an impact on the football club and their ambitions? But they did have a bad season last season indeed.

I thought to have read the pressure at Schalke got too him though and maybe he didn’t want to leave Germany a year ago. Wolfsburg made sense from that perspective.

@CunningLinguist

here’s the bild interview

[quote]BILD: Der verlängerte Urlaub ist vorbei. Haben Sie die Enttäuschung über das EM-Aus im Halbfinale schon überwunden?
Julian Draxler: „Das Turnier ist für mich abgehakt. Für mich persönlich ist es ganz gut gelaufen, aber es ist natürlich schade, dass wir im Halbfinale ausgeschieden sind. Wir müssen uns aber keine großen Vorwürfe machen.“
Manager Klaus Allofs und Trainer Dieter Hecking haben sich öffentlich festgelegt, dass Sie beim VfL Wolfsburg bleiben. Schaffen Sie mit dem Klub die Rückkehr ins internationale Geschäft?
Draxler: „Bevor man sich öffentlich festlegt, hätte man auch mal mit mir selbst sprechen sollen. Bei mir ist es so, dass ich mich nach der EM gegenüber Trainer Dieter Hecking klar geäußert habe, dass ich den VfL Wolfsburg verlassen möchte. Der Trainer weiß seit über drei Wochen Bescheid. Mich überrascht doch sehr, dass seit Wochen rund um meine Person in den Medien kommuniziert wird. Das habe ich anders erwartet, z.B. dass mal jemand auf mich zukommt und fragt, wie sieht es bei Dir aus.“
Hatten Sie seit der EM keinen Kontakt zu Klaus Allofs?
Draxler: „Wir hatten während der EM nur kurzen Kontakt per SMS. Gesprochen habe ich nur telefonisch mit Trainer Hecking. Zwei Tage nach dem Halbfinal-Aus bei der EM habe ich ihm gesagt, wie ich die ganze Situation sehe und was ich mir wünsche – nämlich den Verein zu verlassen. Jetzt bin ich wieder hier in Deutschland und wieder redet man über die Medien mit mir – anstatt mit mir persönlich zu sprechen. Jetzt möchte ich auch dazu was sagen.“
Was meinen Sie genau?
Draxler: „Trainer Hecking sagte in einem Interview, dass Spieler und ihre Berater zu viel Macht hätten. Natürlich vertritt mein Berater Roger Wittmann meine Interessen. Dennoch treffe ich eigenständige Entscheidungen. Im Übrigen hat Roger Wittmann großen Anteil daran, dass ich vor einem Jahr nach Wolfsburg kam.“
Warum sollte Wolfsburg Sie gehen lassen? Sie haben Vertrag bis 2020…
Draxler: „Mir wurde bei meinem Wechsel im August 2015 mündlich zugesichert, dass ich den Verein verlassen kann, wenn sich dazu Möglichkeiten ergeben. Sowohl von Hecking, als auch von Allofs. Es war klar, dass der VfL Wolfsburg für mich damals eine gute Perspektive, aber auch ein Sprungbrett sein sollte. Es war immer klar zwischen allen Beteiligten, dass ich zu einem internationalen Top-Klub gehen möchte, wenn sich die Chance ergibt. Es war besprochen, dass wir vernünftig miteinander reden, wenn andere Vereine Interesse zeigen.“[/quote]

Not sure if it’s really so much about ambition from Wolfsburg, but more a bit of a delusion that he may leave at any time, which obviously was never going to happen. He talks about Wolfsburg being a stepping stone, but as you say it was always a poor career choice if he intended to move to someone bigger.

Of all the players linked to us this summer he is the most talented and exciting one. If we sign him and he stays fit ( wich is both unlikely) we could still play with giroud and be dangeorus with him alexis and ozil. I really believe with him and a solid CB we could seriously challenge for the title

Draxler over Mahrez?

It might not be popular opinion because mahrez has already proven he can tear the premier league, but if fit, my opinion is draxler can be at lest at the same level and in time even better

1 Like

I like him too, Draxler is a strangely majestic player. He’s stuck in football purgatory atm and I’m not sure how he’s going to get out of it. I know it’s a little early to say but I think Mahrez is the finished product in terms of his ability, Drax has a little ways to go and I’m not sure if Arsenal would be able to faciliate the patience he needs to grow.

Saying that I’d like to believe he could do a better job for us out wide than insert anyone who isn’t alexis

1 Like

Always got impression Draxler could be the striker convert a la RVP.

Sign both Draxler and Mahrez.

1 Like

We submitted a substantial bid for him a while back right, summer 2014?

When Wenger is willing to drop that much on a player then you’d imagine he’ would try again if an opportunity arose - and it looks like he’s keen to move.

Based on that, I feel that our interest is real and this might be one that will continue to develop until the last week of the window.

Will definitely be more happy with Draxler Mahrez than LacaMahrez.

Make Sanchez CF.

Sanchez as CF wouldn’t work, instead of trying to make a player an out and out striker let’s just sign one FFS.

Yeah as much as I like the idea of Draxler, I think Laca (seems that is the last plausible striker) is mandatory, then get one of Draxler/Mahrez, and a CB. Sorted even if non-ideal.

It’s funny that yous are talking about Draxler vs Mahrez like we will be getting either.

7 Likes

After years of being an optimistic Arsenal fan I can honestly say that Arsene Wenger has made me a negative and pessimistic fan.

I can’t see us signing anyone of significant and established quality.

7 Likes