January Transfer window thread

The thing is a 32yo Aubameyang maybe better than any of those versions of Morata

5 Likes

Yeah they do wayy too much drugs down there.

3 Likes

City donā€™t want Evans anymore because they want Aymeric Laporte apparently.

-Alexis
-Walcott
-Coquelin

+Mkhitaryan
+Aubameyang
+Evans

Thatā€™s a window I could live with.

11 Likes

Having Ozil to sign the extension would be the key and most important in this window.
If Ozil does not sign in January, technically it means we are losing 4 and getting 3 back.

2 Likes

we need a centre back but I really hope itā€™s not Evans

1 Like

I really donā€™t think this is the case. From the second the transfer window opened Mislintat has identified two seperate groups of players as transfer targets. The first group being players in their early 20s just about to enter their primes, and the second group being immediate starting xi type players to fill the holes in the team.

As much as you want to build for the future the present is still massively important for our stature. Even though weā€™re still a big time club, we donā€™t want to spend too much time out of the CL for obvious reasons.

I donā€™t get the outrage on Evans. Kosh has been injured a lot, and we need a solid CB for the rest of the season until either Chambers or Holding can make the step up and become a first teamer. Heā€™s costing very little, we will have plenty to spend in the summer.

1 Like

Iā€™m against Evans because I believe we need a world class centre back, if we get him that will be it due to numbers in the squad. Iā€™d rather wait until the summer and splash out on a top tier defender as this season is already a write off and a stop gap Jonny Evans isnā€™t going to change that.

The truth is there isnā€™t many truly world class defenders around. Clubs now are investing in younger CBs for high fees in hope they will come good. The games changed and they dont make defenders like they used to.

Bailly 30m
Sanchez 42m?
Vdv 75m

Even Mustafi cost us 32m ish and isnā€™t a world beater. It is an area teams are struggling to fill hence why I would not be against a stop gap like Evans till we can find a long term replacement for Koscielny.

4 Likes

Spending on the defense is worthless. Like I said in another thread (or maybe this one) there is not a foursome throughout history that would not get exposed by the current iteration of Wengerball.

1 Like

Not really though. The year we finished second to Leicester we had one of the stingiest defenses in the league. Think we only conceded like 38 goals that year, not having a striker that could put the ball in the back of the net cost us dearly.

The difference was we had a maybe just slightly less than world class Per, and a Kosh at the height of his powers. Itā€™s not a secret that Wenger isnā€™t some defensive minded genius but having some solid defenders and a general on the pitch like Per, doing all the organizing, can make a big difference.

Edit: Also realized this was the season Coq was having his worldie, a top notch CDM canā€™t be understated either.

1 Like

Sven is not the reason we were interested in Mkhitaryan. We wanted him in the summer he signed for United and got him now because heā€™s surplus to requirements at United. And letā€™s be serious, Wenger has been a big Aubameyang fan for a long time.

I am optimistic about the future with Sven and the new team but letā€™s not act like he identified Mkhi and Auba and pushed Wenger in the direction of signing them. When itā€™s been well documented weā€™ve been interested in them for years now.

Well, most of our defenders arenā€™t really reliable and some of them are even injury-prone so despite not being what we need, Evans is still ok.

Manchester City are keen to sign Athletic Bilbao centre back Aymeric Laporte, according to Sky sources.

Pep Guardiola has said that he wants to sign a central defender - and theyā€™ve also been linked with a move for West Bromā€™s Jonny Evans.

Sky in Italy is reporting that City are considering paying the Ā£60m needed to trigger Laporteā€™s release clause. If they do it would make Laporte the worldā€™s second most expensive defender.

Looks like Evans is ours if we really want him. Man City going for the expensive ones again. Unsuprisingly.

Poll timeā€¦

How would you rate this window if we signed Mkhitaryan, Evans and Aubameyang?

• 4 and below

0 voters

Signing these players doesnā€™t mean there isnā€™t any room to build on the future in the meantime.

4 Likes

If we addressed our limp attack with two quality attacking players and added a good quality CB like Evans to help mould our youngsters (Holding, Mav and Chambers) then I think weā€™ve had a good window. As good as we could have ever hoped for. And at the very least it means in the summer when weā€™re adding 2-3 players weā€™re not in as big a hole as we anticipated because we did business in the winter window.

5 Likes

I wouldnā€™t complain about Evans, I think he could do a solid job for us and would like to see him come in. But to say there is not much else available is wrong. For example, Ingio Martinez has a buy out clause of Ā£28m.

Evans, Mkhi and Auba would represent a good window though. Especially as Arsenal are usually the butt of all the transfer window jokes ā€“ you know, the images of ArsĆØne locked into a room at the other managers, or ā€œtoday is transfer deadline day, or as Arsenal fans call it - Mondayā€.

Iā€™d rate the window a 7 because like it or not we still have lost a top 5 player in the league this windowā€¦ it all comes down to wether we can sign Auba as at least heā€™s a top quality replacement.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Like I said before, pure reactionary management by Wenger.
We havenā€™t seen this sort of transfer activity since the 8-2 thrashing by Man U, when almost exactly the same situation situation happened and our two best players left.

These are the sort of transfers we should be getting most seasons, not just because we are in a crisis.

Itā€™s strange, that everyone except Wenger knew we needed to buy top quality players, and only in this window has he done something about.

But make no mistake, this isnā€™t a change in direction for Wenger.
There will be very little transfer business done in the next window, unless Ozil leaves, and even if he does, there wonā€™t be a world class replacement.

For every other top European club, buying two quality players isnā€™t unusual.
For us it is like the best transfer window we have had, except unlike all the other top European clubs, we have to lose our best player for it to happen.

Other successful top clubs by quality players to play alongside their best players.
We just replace ours.

1 Like

60m on Laporte is probably better value than 30m on Evans.

Mkhitaryan was a swap we were half forced into (and even then Wenger is an admirer and if itā€™s true that we got money in the deal too then he was cheap) and Aubameyang is a world class forward. Theyā€™re special cases.

I still canā€™t see Wenger paying what WBA would want because Evans is nothing more than a solid defender and at 30 I canā€™t see us justifying that spend. Maybe in the summer as he goes into his final year theyā€™ll be willing to talk but now I donā€™t think itā€™ll be for us. We should right now have the entirety of Arsenal and Dortmund and maybe even Barcelona scouting knowledge and I donā€™t know if the result of that is really Jonny Evans?

1 Like