Burnley vs Arsenal (Premier League)

The key to many games like this is not conceding a silly goal, because generally if you plug away you find the back of the net at some point.

Didnā€™t really see the game, it doesnā€™t seem like we created much? Whatā€™s the analysis from you lot, why was that? Has the shine come off this front 3 a bit after the Chelsea and Basel matches?

1 Like

We were absolute dog shit but in many ways this is a bigger result than the two you mentioned. We all know we can do a job against a non Mou Chelsea should we feel like it - the 5 - 3 a few years back for example, and beating a team like Basel at home means next to nothing.

What we did today was we showed that when everything went our way outside our fixture we were willing to step up and do what was necessary. I know itā€™s a cliche but victories like that are what title campaigns are built on.

Also Theo, Iwobi and Ozil were absolute shit.

So just a sort of off-day from the key attacking players? Or something more structural?

Tbh, weā€™ve been banging in so many goals lately that I guess itā€™s inevitable weā€™d have a match where we struggled to find the back of the net.

Generally the game was one to forget, with few chances. Burnley organised and defended well, they look in better shape to maybe stay up for a change.

Itā€™s the scrappiest winner from us in a ling time, but for the momemtum of our season, itā€™s absolutely massive. Given we only took 1 point from the first two games, weā€™ve recovered quickly in the last month and right back up with City pretty much now.

Mustafi/Kos partnership continues to grow. Alexis up front wasnā€™t the best today, mightā€™ve been a game where Giroud was perhaps better suited up front. Iwobi looked bright as usual, loved some of the runs and skills he was making.

An important win in the end. So annoying we have another bloody international break to deal with again :xhaka:

I think a bit of both, Burnley really blocked up and made it difficult to into key dangerous positions but also when we did have the chance our passing and movement was a bit off.

I donā€™t think itā€™s an off-day kind of thing. Arsenal really struggles against team who pack the box with 6, 7 or even 8 players. Thatā€™s what happened today. Burnley gave our fullbacks and wingers some room to roam with the ball, but as soon as the ball went to centre off the pitch it was full with Burnley players and we couldnā€™t get through. Tactics other teams have also used against us with some success.

Hard to tell because our basic passing accuracy and decision-making was shambolic. Iā€™d chalk it more up to too many players playing terrible than anything else. Burnley were tough opposition as well, but meh we were dire.

I did say in my OP that this would be one of our hardest games for the next several games so Iā€™m not surprised that Burnley gave us such a tough time of it.

We prevailed and Iā€™m sure weā€™ll carry on our winning form and momentum in the next few games.

1 Like

Probably our boys suffered the lack of conditions and the bad performances by Xhaka, Mesut, Iwobi and probably Theo Walcott :-1:

Iā€™m in love with Kostafi :heart_eyes:. Finally weā€™ve a strong defense, not slow, good enough to every types of games. They can compete against pivotal strikers like Vokes or Costa and rapid strikers. :+1:

3 points are a gift for us judging the late goal, but we need to remember two or three important chances missed (apart Sanchez with the volley and the long shot of Theo Walcott, I remember the mistake to not pass the ball to Nacho Monreal when he was completely free to cross or shot).

Burnley set up brilliantly. Many might call it negative but at the end of the day they donā€™t want to go back down and essentially could have had a very big point, not to mention in the past we would probably have conceded at least one with being so fixated on attack. Itā€™s no surprise that Liverpool lost by 2 to them. Mustafi and Koz do look a force and Cech is simply just there when called upon.

Alexis worked tirelessly, it really seems heā€™s instilling a belief from the front that the likes of Giroud canā€™t seem to muster.

It was definitely an off day for our attackers but you do worry about us on days like this, we love to be the masters of our own downfall and games like today are usually where we throw away the title.

All in all itā€™s a nice way to go into the international break.

2 Likes

They concede very few at home and have a well drilled unit, there wonā€™t be many going there and scoring 3 or 4.

If they had more of a goal threat youā€™d back them to stay up, but Iā€™d still say theyā€™re relegation bound.

1 Like

Walking away with 3 points seems ludicrous but weā€™ll take them any which way after todayā€™s showing. Iā€™ve not seen much of it but Burnley looked very stern defensively and looked good for a point. I love, love, love that we got a late winner though, a massive up yours to shit tactics, especially being the home team. Funk that.

I think we seemed somewhat jaded from the overload of football played in such a high intensity over the past week or so. The interlull is almost welcome at this stage as it gives some players a chance to cool off. My only hope is that we get used to playing games on the front foot more often; dealing with lots of fixtures soon enough as Christmas looms ahead and keeping up a good consistency overall. We still have a couple of offensive options to work with in Giroud (I know) and Lucas so thatā€™s a positive.

Today could have easily been one of those days where we get brought back down to earth with sobering effect and walked away with nothing or a point which would underpin the fantastic work weā€™ve recently put in. Confidence shot and a step back. However, we go into a two-week break on a high, two points behind Man City, squad in good shape, confident and in decent form still, bar a minor? blip today. Swansea next.

I think playing fairly badly and stealing the three points so late on in fortuitous circumstances could be even better for morale and momentum than if we had won more comfortably, in a way.

Iā€™m going into the interlull pretty satisfied.

2 Likes

Yeah they just need a Defoe type player that Sunderland had last year.

Read, see a proper replay. Letā€™s debate after that :slight_smile:

It looks like Iā€™m in the minority but I didnā€™t think we played that bad. They parked the bus and we actually created a bit more than we normally would under those circumstances. We moved the ball a lot faster than normal under those conditions. They just did a fantastic job defending but I feel like we deserved a goal. We kept them pinned back in their third for sustained periods, and they never really created anything. Deserved result imo.

1 Like

What do you mean. You think that youtube clip is fake? You can see he strikes the ball, itā€™s not that hard to see. All I can read in your link is Ox saying he thinks both of them hit the ball, which is probably the case.

1 Like

Canā€™t really make out from the video on whose foot it hit. Most other angles and replays suggest it was Kos who kicked it up onto his own hand and even if it was hit by Fraudlade thank fuck Kos was there cause the ball was heading out.