Arsène Wenger

I feel like Wrighty specifically said “he said to me he’s coming to the end”.

Not that many different ways to interpret that in this context.

1 Like

Wright’s original words were: " I feel that he will go at the end of the season. He actually mentioned that he is coming to the end. I have never heard him say that before.
“I was with him for a few hours. He didn’t say to me, ‘I’m leaving at the end of the season’, but I get the impression, looking at him, that that’s it. The players have let him down badly.”

Then on Saturday on MOTD he clarified his comments by saying: “The way the boss was speaking, talking about coming to the end, his demeanour, the way it was going - my opinion is my opinion. It could be wrong but the fact is that’s what I based it on, I stick by it.”

Either way, the night in question was a question and answer evening where lots of people were present. It’s not like Wright was round Wenger’s house for a romantic dinner for 2 so take it with a pinch of salt.

The problem is that he didn’t actually say that when he originally made his point. He gave the whole rumor a lot more credibility by not thinking it through in advance.

He’s not lying and he didn’t want his comments to blow up like this but he’s an idiot for presenting it the way he did. He should know better that he has to be very precise with comments like this as it was very easy to misunderstand his words and especially so for the media, which he is part of.

I think a decent finish in the league form-wise (even if it means finishing 4th) and a decent run in Champions League (beating Bayern and either losing to a big club in noble fashion in quarters or beating a smaller club in quarters to get to semis I think would probably be enough) would be enough to convince him to continue.

Sad because a run in champions league is the only thing I could possibly hope for this season at this point, so it leaves me in a bit of a dissonant state. :confused:

1 Like

If he signs another 2 year deal he’ll be nearly 70 when it’s over. He’s not going to win the league or the CL in those two years so he’s going to get even more shit from fans even if he does a decent job. I doubt he’s anywhere near needing the money as I’d assume he was smart enough to have managed his money and be set for life by now. If I was him, I would just retire.

He was revered for his first 10 years, I think fans were grateful that he kept us relatively competitive for the 5-6 years after that and if he’d gone at any time in those 15-16 years it would have been a big worry. But now he’s already leaving the club with a decent enough team and healthy finances. All staying will do is add 2 years to the “he should have gone X years ago” because I can’t see him achieving anything or improving us in a way that made you think it was worth him sticking around. On this forum over the last few years I’ve seen people drop one by one in support and over another two years is he going to win any of those people back? No. Is he going to have more people reach the point where they’re fed up and turn against him? Probably yes. And all the people at the other end of the scale or in the middle will probably start to resent him that little bit more. Just go man. There’s no win here.

5 Likes

OMFG the emo outpouring of Wenger d-sucking that will happen when he leaves might kill me.

1 Like

Haha

Come on though, you’ve wanted him out for so long that when it happens you should be nothing but happy. Let the “losers” in the battle praise him all they like. That’s kind of how I feel when I see Leavers losing their shit at all the “remoaners” after Brexit. You’ve got what you wanted after all these years, be happy for fuck’s sake! :smile:

We can only hope… :wenger:

1 Like

At that point, I’ll probably just want to take a nap. But it will be a happy nap and I hope I wake up energized for the future.

This is probably going to be the best thing: The Wenger Fundamentalists that don’t really care that much for club history or players that weren’t Wenger players will most likely fuck off and we can get back to being a football club a little more than Wenger’s play thing. So if he leaves and this is goodbye to people like you; then au revoir shitbags.

Have some grace.

Yes, it is about time for him to go, but remember he’s done more for this club than probably any manager before him. And there’s no guarantees about whoever comes next. They’ve pretty big shoes to fill.

Speaking like you do, you come off as a classless prick. Leave that sort of thing to followers of lesser clubs.

2 Likes

I openly support Wenger leaving buddy. Keep up.

Also, wow what a bite!

1 Like

Ugh…I’ll get some grace when Wenger gets some tactical nous.

The post was intended to be humorous, reflecting the kind of attitude long term Wenger Out fans like Morris have. Despite wanting a new manager, I’ll be praising him when he leaves and treating him with respect that he deserves for his role in our clubs history. I’d be one of the “losers” making Morris want to kill himself, just like I’m one of the “remoaners”.

The point I was jokingly trying to make is that people like Morris can just be happy at that point and all the praise others want to give Wenger for what he’s done should be like water off a ducks back.

You could take your own advice and have some grace by not calling people classless pricks, that way you wouldn’t insult someone who you had just failed to understand.

6 Likes

“We can get back to being a football club” when did you start supporting Arsenal?

1 Like

2 points from 2nd, 2 from 6th and 10 out of 1st… I am betting on 3rd or 4th atm, but there is a very real possibility that we fall out of top 4 this year… just like most every other year in the last 10+ (with a couple of exceptions such as last year)

2 Likes

I wasn’t calling you a classless prick, just that what you had said made you sound like one. There’s a difference. Sorry I missed the humour in your post, I guess some things don’t translate in the written word, lacking the visual of a wry smile here and there.

1997… 20 years now!

2 Likes

bye bye old man, thanks for the memories

1 Like

Another wrong line-up. Should have gone with the 4-3-3.