Arsenal - West Brom (Premier League)

In contrast i dont know many teams that would break that strategy down.

Its exactly how Chelsea beat Barcelona.

Edit: retrospect? Not contrast

Enough teams do if you have the right pace in your play and some individual quality. It’s only a matter of time if you create chances, but when you don’t do so for the majority of the game like we did it’s difficult.

Our game v Palace will be similar to yesterday with fat Sam there now.

2 Likes

Absolutely right.

1 Like

I left at half time and went back to the pub .I simply couldnt take any more shit. when i got there i met a few who had done the same including 1 man who goes to every game home away europe under 21s ladies etc . he said that the joy of going to football has been totally sucked out of him. i know how he feels. not blaming anyone or anything but ive almost had enough too. modern football is shit . I watched yesterday and we reminded me of schoolboys chasing after the ball like u did in the playground.the atmosphere was appaling empty seats all over the show and judging by the people around me it looked like 90 pct had sold their tics on exchange to far eastern tourists.

Just happy to beat West Brom and Pulis. As expected they were defensive all game, so to ruin 80 minutes of their defending with a goal was great.

1 Like

Giroud started and scored the winner from a cross

why then do we spend 80 minutes going pass-pass-pass-pass around the edge of their box?
Why weren’t we having Bellerin / Gibbs producing crosses on the overlap all day long? That was clearly the most likely way to score a goal and once we did score it transformed the game

Was very similar to the Burnley and 'Boro games, we were very fortunate to get the 3 points at Burnley with a dodgy 95th minute goal too

Seriously need to come up with better ways to break down these park the bus teams because everyone now has 3 perfect training videos to watch on how to very nearly stop us scoring and sooner or later they’ll nick a goal on the counter before we do score and in our battle to win 3rd or 4th place that could be vital.

1 Like

Didn’t see the game.

Delighted to see us win, 3pts massively needed after two defeats on the trot. Don’t really care how, not surprising it was decided by a late late goal. WBA are hard to break down with that cunt Pulis in charge, coward. All their hard work got undone by a great Giroud header. Fuck them.

Palace will be a similar game, possibly even harder since they have more individual quality to punish us. And it’s Allardyce, another cunt. Must win.

it wasn’t really that hard work though, it was a tactic ‘here have the ball, we don’t mind, we don’t think you can score’

and they were very nearly right, all the hundreds of little intricate passing and 1-2s never looked like producing a goal and they knew that was the likely scenario before kick off

it was only when a ball was lobbed in areially that we did score in the 87th minute - why did we wait til then to try that? They could decide pre-match that 50% of attacks will result in a cross or something
we are very predictable and teams are working us out, cannot keep scoring late winners

1 Like

The other c9mmon denominator being Wengers lack of nous to break down average teams.
How come were doing good when we beat these sides, but if zlatan scores against them their shit teams.

1 Like

While we struggled to break them down, a lot of teams have that issue against a team basically determined to deny you. Chelsea had the same issue against West Brom just a few weeks ago and they arguably have a better team offense to deal with that sort of thing. Our crossing just isn’t good enough reliably enough and Giroud hasn’t been playing as much, so our trust in him wasn’t quite there until Ozil’s bit of magic and Ollie’s quite excellent finish (that was a very difficult finish).

I don’t have too many issues with our performance really - thought defense was excellent - Gabby had his best game, Hector is showing signs of getting back to his attacking form (even though the final product was lacking), and we were buzzing around and basically dominated West Brom. We got a boatload of shots off and many on target - and yeah, maybe there weren’t that many great chances, but give some credit to WBA and Foster - they played well.

Better from Xhaka even though his shots were comical and Sanchez lively as ever.

One gripe is really that we still need a little bit more urgency and magic and are missing that one additional attacking piece (dead horse, I know)…

3 points were what were key and we did the job - hope to see more fluidity in the coming games. Would absolutely love to see us find top form against that troll Allardyce.

1 Like

I’m less concerned about Palace than I was about WBA. They’re more porous at the back, although they have a bit more nous up front. And I think Hennessey is a lesser goalie than Foster.

1 Like