Arsenal Captaincy

Aubameyang is only obvious candidate

Based on?

Proven
Experienced
African Player of the year
Liked by all
Can single handedly win us games (sometimes)

If someone can manage to befriend a rival striker, that’s a testament to their willingness to bring people together as a team.

If you noticed my previous reservation about him as a player, you would know what I said here is not bias speaking.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of forwards being captains

1 Like

Sokratis is the best option by far. Only guy on our team that has a balls to the wall mentality, sadly he’s only been on the team for a year. That further highlights the sad state of the pampered footballers the club employ.

2 Likes

Sokratis is also fucking average and doesn’t inspire
In modern era, captains are only there to inspire.

Sokratis will be there brooding while losing, will be there brooding while winning. You rather stare at the wall.

Can’t think of anyone other than Xhaka.

Will probably play nearly every game
As shit as he is, he’a a leader type player
Plays in midfield which is a good position for a captain, don’t like forwards as
Isn’t he already captaining Switzerland? Not sure

I don’t love it at all, but I have to say Bellerin.

Sokratis seems to have the right attitude, but he’s new to the club and ideally will be got rid of in a year or two.

I think the club captain needs to be someone who “gets it”, someone who knows what it means to play for Arsenal, someone with some sort of connection to the fans. Bellerin has been here since he was a kid, he’s got that nice little cockney/catalan hybrid accent going on, he’s as close as we’ve got to a local lad. Also, I know many have doubts over him, but he’s one of the few players in our starting line up who could feasibly be here for the long haul.

So yeah, for me it is probably Bellerin. But if we had any half way decent leaders in this squad you wouldn’t consider him for a second.

But I simply cannot abide the thought of that useless, bogey munching cunt Xhaka being our captain. I’d rather re-sign Gallas on a one year contract and give him the armband.

I’d say Sokratis for now. He’s not the best defender in the world but he has the ability to lead by example. Also from past reports in Dortmund he was always looked as the father figure in the dressing room.

He’ll be gone in a season or two but it’s either him or Xhaka really (even though the latter is one of my least favourite players).

The others just fail to inspire for me.

1 Like

The idea is being a professional and playing hard and having some respect for yourself and the club. Sokratis is lighter on his actual ability but a guy like Bellerin, who has bags of talent and could be one of the best Rb’s in the world, needs to take a lesson on how to conduct himself on the pitch. If Bellerin had as much focus and drive as Sokratis Barca woulda bought him from us by now.

2 Likes

Probably Sokratis or Xhaka but I wouldn’t mind Leno actually. I think he can rise to the occasion.

1 Like

I liked it last season when he was about to smack Salah for diving.

Sad that we don’t even have a competition for a leader in this team.

To me, the only player who is currently captain material is Sokratis and he hasn’t been here long enough. But he is the only guy with the right traits (from what I can see).

Xhaka tackles like an idiot but I still think he is soft and abrasive rather than actually tough.

3 Likes

Our candidates make me feel absolutely ill, I’m not even going to bother voting.

1 Like

Leno shoulda been a candidate as well. I like him a lot. Isn’t it interesting that Sven not only brought in some valuable pieces to our team but he also kind of identified players with a strong mentality? I can see Leno, Sokratis, and Auba all being captain types and even Guendouzi in the future tbh.

Captain Sok!

1 Like

Lacazette? I even thought about him as a decent captain material way earlier… He was the captain in lyon, seems like a guy who takes responsibility on the pitch, doesn’t go down when things aren’t the best…

But in the end, it’s very hard to get a good picture from the outside about these kind of things…

EDIT
Man, I forgot about bellerin… Yeah, considering the group he’s definitely one of the top candidates.

2 Likes

When we had the Invincibles team, there were eleven captains playing for us, in every game.

The team we have now doesn’t have a single player worthy of wearing the captains armband.

There are simply no leaders at the club, and that is why we’re in the state we’re in.

1 Like

not that it makes much difference with this squad at the moment, it has to be hector for me

Shame on the four members who picked Xhaka for captain :arteta:

We really are so incredibly short on viable captains right now.

1 Like