Alexis Sánchez

You cant believe wenger and the board have got to this situation.
Why is that so unbelievable? theres a reason contracts are typically 3-5 years and not 10-15 years long.

Us not being able to achieve top 4 without them.
we managed it fine before.

Us not being able to attract talent without them.
Again, we managed it before.

lastly, these fabricated assurances we must have made. wheres the evidence??

oh no infact, the ‘why would anyone come to play with Giroud Ramsey etc’… those are EXACTLY who Ozil and Alexis came to play with ffs.

1 Like

I do agree. Let him see out his contract. It would be more helpful than losing him for 26 mil.

1 Like

The club doesn’t even know its manager for next season yet…you cant expect players to start signing contracts during this mess we are in.

If its 26m or nothing, you bet your house we are selling. All about the numbers here, plus we never keep players against their will.

1 Like

Do you seriously believe that if Ozil and Sanchez left we would replace them with the same quality of player?

We should be getting more players of that quality.

If they leave, we won’t even be able to replace them, let alone get a quality striker or winger as well.

The reason I believe that they had assurances that we would be strengthening the first team is because if we had, I doubt that Ozil and Sanchez would be reluctant to sign new contracts.
If it’s so great here, why haven’t they signed?

I don’t think it is enough to justify selling and maybe losing CL Football. CL Football is worth 25million per season before you factor in the TV money. In 15/16 that earned us £53.4 million.

When we sold Cesc for a knocked down £30m CL earnings were around 21m. So even selling at knocked down prices like we did with them you’d expect it to be 50m-70m, ie a price of a CL place for a season.

All that aside there will be bigger bids and his performance levels would put him in demand if he is sold.

If we get 50-70m offers imo we should take them and try and get Mbappe to replace him. The same with Ozil, sell and bring in Isco or buy a DLP and move to a proper 3 man midfield.

1 Like

Wenger just needs to announce his intentions now.

There are players that of course are desperate for him to stay but I suspect one or two others that would be more conducive to staying if they knew he was off. Problem is that some of the players I’d be happily rid of are in the former category, while I think Sanchez might be in the latter.

£26m for a player we bought for £35m (?) and whose valuation in normal circumstances must be north of £50m would be ridiculous.

If the Club wants to make £26m so badly, sell fucking Ramsey + some squad fodder

3 Likes

Whilst your argument makes logical sense in numbers, you haven’t factored in players’ emotions which are a totally different ball game.

Keeping players against their will just ends in tears, unless there is a strong manager in charge to change them (which Wenger is not). If Alexis wants to go and there is an offer on the table, we should take it. Granted he is our best player, but there is no point keeping an unhappy player for a whole year to then lose him for free.

.#playerpower

Alexis not signing a new deal probably saves us like 5m in the wages we wouldn’t have to give him for that final year. It’s worth keeping him on the offchance we could convince him to sign. If we’re top of the league and our CL group under Allegri in December 2017 maybe he’d consider whether he really needs to go to insert club here to get what he wants.

Him leaving triggers another transition phase so I’d rather hold on to him as long as we can.

5 Likes

yes i do. because when Ozil joined there was no other world class player.

much in the same way Chelsea, City and PSG acquired names, money is all people really care about.

1 Like

When I seen 19 new posts on here I knew it wouldn’t be good news :cry:

It’s true Ozil joined when we had no world class players.
But he was surplus to requirements at Real Madrid who needed the money to get Bale.
So he was too good to turn down, and we were the only big club that came in for him.

I agree that money is all these players care about, and that is the problem.
To replace either Ozil or Sanchez is going to cost a lot more than the 30m or 40m we paid for them, and knowing our board, that isn’t going to happen.

Also we need a world class striker and winger, as well as keeping hold of the only top quality attacking players we have.
So for us to realistically challenge for the PL and CL, we need to get more top players in.
But instead of that, we will probably be losing two players of that quality and getting none in.

2 Likes

Right but we’re also not selling our best player, who nets marketing money and CL money for a packet of pork scratchings because ‘he’s not happy’. There’s somewhere in the middle called negotiating. Fine you can leave if we get market value and in a market where Sterling costs 50m, KDB 60m, Sane 40m and Bale 90m then 50m is below market value anyway.

We’ve kept unhappy players in the past. Cesc wanted to leave for years. Vieira wanted to leave at times. RVP likely wanted out the season before he left. These are professionals and even if they felt unhappy they’d need to play well to earn their next contract.

Costa was convinced to stay twice, the first time after Chelsea finished 10th in the league. Payet and many others have left, so yeah player power is usually the winner and it’s usually money that dictates everything

I think in our case with the new manager hopefully coming in we have more leverage to get him to stay, especially if it’s a winner like Allegri. I’m now of the opinion that we need to lose the uncertainty, speed up the secret hotel meetings with Allegri :sunglasses: and get Wenger onboard with that, because he’s just dithering now.

In turn that gives Sanchez more motivation to stay. I don’t see him as ever going on strike, he just wants a lot of money and a manager who is going to improve the team around him. Arsenal are capable of fulfilling both of these in 2017

3 Likes

Especially with Trion gone you know it’s not going to be complete nonsense about about Wenger.

How are we supposed to convince players to stay with our tight wage policy and lack of true ambition?

It’s probably too late to sort this situation out. Even under a new manager it could take a season or two to get things ticking and be able to bring in the right personnel. I really can’t see any benefit for Alexis of taking the risk of giving it one more shot especially seeing how frustrated he gets after our awful performances.

1 Like

Our board/ ownership are a disgrace they will sell him for what ever fee is offered, they won’t risk losing him for free. We really need to get silent Stan out of our club as fast as possible.

2 Likes

Özil will be the same… Ox, Wilshere, Ramsey soon (not sure if 2018 or 19), Szcze at some point and probably some more I’m forgetting. There must be some stupid amount of belief in this club that most of them will re-sign whenever they’re being given new contracts or else we’re burning money/value for nothing.

That’s as much we’d get from within the PL but given that there’s only one year left on the contract I doubt it’s going to be more than 35-40 from the continent. I honestly don’t think that would be worth it for another season if wouldn’t somehow end with success.

1 Like

Alexis and Ozil leaving would be a PR disaster and a football disaster too.

The last time something like that happened was when Fabregas and Nasri left and that was the window we desperately grabbed at Gervinho, Arteta, Mertesacker, Andre Santos, Park Chu Young. I don’t trust this club to replace them both with genuine quality in one window at short notice when we’ve been looking for a forward for years.

A miserable Ozil probably isn’t worth keeping but a miserable Alexis would be fine. We cashed in on Nasri and van Persie. If a genuine offer isn’t on the table we should be able to take the financial hit this one time. He’s basically the closest thing to a “talisman” we’ve got. We can’t just throw that away again.

11 Likes

Either a huge paycheck or realistic ambition can keep Sanchez (and/or Ozil).
If Wenger stay, we’d better sell him when he still worth something. I don’t believe he will sign the extension if everything remains the same.
If we do change manager, we should keep him for the new manager. If we improve under the new manager, we still have a chance to convince him to stay.

1 Like