Aaron Ramsey

Looking like a setback, he trained the day before the PSG game but not on Friday or today.

With any luck itā€™ll be season ending.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the spirit!

:poldi:

Arsenal Mismanagement of soft tissue injuries what a surprise.

1 Like

The demands and situation at CM were very different when Ramsey was at his best there. Our wingers are no longer wide playmakers (whom you could say were slightly short of pace you associate with wingers) like Cazorla, Rosicky and Wilshere. With Giroud up top, Ozil behind the striker and Arteta in DM, Ramsey had the perfect set up for him to be the late runner in behind whilst his team mates conjured up chance after chance. Not only was he the best option at the time to play the killer ball to, but also the only real effective option. The way his confidence sky-rocketed that season was extraordinary. Goal after goal after goal. A really potent goalscoring attacking midfielder at his absolute best. Rare to see such a quick burst to stardom.

Now as many have said before, without a withdrawn DM that has the ability to keep the play ticking like Arteta (although Xhaka could potentially be that man if used correctly) and creative midfielders out wide, the CM role is completely different now. Facilitation, control etc. None of that marauding stuff will work at the minute unless our wingers and DMs adjust.

What a great job Cazorla is doing too. When he and Coquelin went down last season things really went to shit.

At the moment with Ramsey, Iā€™d be more than happy for him to play on the right for us as it has proven to work time and time again. Our best performances as a team in the last few years have been with at one attacking midfielder being on the wing as well as the usual winger/forward. The only other system I could see him fitting into is a genuine midfield trio with two of Coquelin/Xhaka/Elneny beside him. Ramsey needs the freedom to burst forward to ever recapture a glimpse of his best form. Otherwise he will never fit in at Arsenal from here on.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see what happens when Ramsey comes back. Ever since the spring of 2013, the pattern with Wengerā€™s usage of Ramsey has been pretty consistent: If he is healthy, he starts. I donā€™t really expect this to change.

There are really three options in my view, also largely contained in Hassanā€™s post.

(1) Wenger could play him RW with Alexis LW and Theo/Perez/Giroud up top. Essentially, Ramsey takes Iwobiā€™s spot in the team. This is the least disruptive way to integrate Ramsey, although obviously tough on Iwobi given his form.

(2) Wenger could play him CM, probably alongside Xhaka, and hope that he has learned enough discipline and tactical restraint to play in a midfield two. This is kind of an odd scenario - basically, Wenger would have two different CM pairings, Ramsey/Xhaka or Cazorla/Coquelin for different matchups. I donā€™t think it is sustainable in the long run but I could see him toying with this idea in order to see if he could make the Ramsey/Xhaka pairing work, which still seems likely to be his not-so-secret dream.

(3) Wenger could play a 4-3-3 with Ramsey and Cazorla as the dual 8s and Xhaka behind, with Ozil now on the wing. Against weak opponents I donā€™t like this notion, as it decreases Ozilā€™s influence, but I think that midfield combined with a fluid, fast frontline of Ozil-Sanchez-Theo/Perez is a fairly intriguing idea in big away matches where we plan to play on the break a lot. We had a few notable successes with that formation in the 14-15 season (such as the 2-0 at the Etihad) and I think having Xhaka and another quick forward like Theo or Perez would address some of the problems that developed for us when we played that way in the past, such as having a deep midfielder who couldnā€™t pass and start transitions and playing on the break with Giroud as our CF.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Tilley_96/status/779036374301302784

:joy::joy:

2 Likes

I wonder if he wanted to move clubs. I know he got injured in all but when he did the way he was looking at Wenger was as if he wanted to kill him, he is around so many great players in this squad but looks like his mind is elsewhere, why dont we sell him if that is the caseā€¦he is not a player we need in the squad really if we can get some money for him why not promote someone like Jeff as a midfielder and let him slowly get into the 1st team, he looks more assured than Ramsey does most matches.

1 Like

1 Like

Ruled out for the Basel & Burnley game as well. Expected back after international break.

1 Like

Perhaps when he comes back from this injury, and then realises that he will spending most games starting from the bench, he should concentrate more in becoming a better footballer than worrying about what colour his hair should be and his dream of playing for Barcelona.

We have plenty of players that can do what he does, and most of them better, so get 30m for him and put it towards getting a decent striker.

2 Likes

Crockety crock

1 Like

Well its not like heā€™s needed at the moment so he can take all the time he needs.

2 Likes

Lol more of the same from this guy. Well good thing weā€™ve got depth in the team this year.

1 Like

A thought dawned on me. If Ramsey had played today, would we have been as fluid and direct if heā€™d played? I canā€™t help but think he wouldā€™ve slowed things down. Ever since heā€™s been injured, it feels like we havenā€™t really missed him. I guess it helps for once we have some depth at long last where we donā€™t want to see him urgently back.

Yeah starting to think his injury made selection simpler for Wenger.
Hopefully Wenger sticks to this side even after his return.

At least this way he gets to spend more time petting Rhinos and playing golf, while we get to keep winning games.

1 Like

Yeah based on our current form I wouldnā€™t be starting him straight away when he does eventually return.

Back in training. Swansea will be to early.