2016/17 FA Cup

I would gladly take them. Time to shrug off the voodoo and give southampton the D.

2 Likes

When was the last time we beat them down on the South Coast ? Answer your question about the negativity ?

Well I can only speak for myself, but when we have a poor record at a particular side I quite naturally (imo) consider that to be a fairly shit draw for us.

Not unwinnable by any stretch, but definitely a tough one.

2 Likes

Southampton aren’t the same side we have struggled with in the past. We’ll go through.

I’m relying on this thread for news of the draw so considering you guys have been pretty silent in here I’m going to assume all the big clubs got easy draws?

Since they’ve returned to the PL in 2012 we’ve only played them down there 4 times - all PL games, 2 draws and 2 losses. I don’t know if that’s enough to decide we’re obviously going to lose in the FA Cup to them.

You know you are talking to Aussie right?

It doesnt matter if we draw Bayern or Bristol. We are going to lose.

1 Like

Phoebica is right about their fixture pile up though, they’re going to be prioritising League + League Cup over the Fa Cup at this stage of the competition.

That 4-0 was shambolic though, I think at that point we were all actually shocked by that result, whereas at the moment we’re just expecting a performance like that to crop up every few games or so, or whenever we are “surprised by the intensity” of the opposition I guess.

I reckon we’ll get a replay at worst in the cup, probably then go on to lose comfortably in the league fixture.

1 Like

FA Cup fourth-round draw in full:

Tottenham v Wycombe Wanderers

Derby County v Leicester City

Oxford United v Birmingham City/Newcastle United

Sutton United/AFC Wimbledon v Cambridge United/Leeds United

Liverpool/Plymouth Argyle v Wolves

Norwich City/Southampton v Arsenal

Ipswich Town/Lincoln City v Brighton and Hove Albion

Chelsea v Brentford

Manchester United v Wigan Athletic

Millwall v Watford

Rochdale v Huddersfield Town

Sunderland/Burnley v Bristol City/Fleetwood Town

Blackburn Rovers v Blackpool/Barnsley

Fulham v Hull City

Middlesbrough v Accrington Stanley

Bolton Wanderers/Crystal Palace v Manchester City

Looks like we got the hardest draw of any of the big teams… no real glamor ties at all in that round. Can see City, ManU, Chelsea, 'Pool, Spurs, and Arsenal all going to the 5th round.

1 Like

We are a better side player for player than them so we are not defiantly going to lose but its a harder than your average draw is what Im saying.

Meh. Bit of a shit + boring draw for us.

Finally got to watch the highlights to our Preston game - was away at my own tournament and couldn’t watch… FFS we absolutely were unbelievably lucky not to be down 2-0… not quite sure how their player missed that pass - would have been easiest tap in ever. Obviously only highlights and we looked better in second half, but were we really that bad in first half???

2 Likes

Yes.

No. We were a lot worse! :laughing:

Probably the worst half we’ve played all season, even worse than Bournemouth!

1 Like

So bad. I was more laughing than mad! :joy:

You say 2-0 it could have easily been 4-0 they missed two sitters and got another goal harshly ruled out.

PNE did turn into Barcelona tbh. Credit where its due.

But yeah our football was comical. I even text my chelsea mate and told him to watch, it was just an absolute train wreck of a half.

1 Like

Need a full team out to beat saints. Has to be treated as a priorty game.
Rest players in the league game week before if need be.

2 Likes

I see Bournemouth and Eddie Howe are getting a bit of a kicking for the whole making 11 changes thing.

Ok 11 changes might be a bit OTT but the moaners can’t seem to accept that it’s a squad game. You have a lot of money, you have a big squad (all 20 Prem clubs can now be considered ‘rich’), you use the squad. Simple.

At Arsenal these ‘squad matches’ are also now priced appropriately (e.g. £10 vs Reading in the League Cup) and I’m sure it’s the same at all other Prem clubs. Can’t see what all the fuss is about.

Liverpool pulverised Plymouth for 90 minutes with a young team and just got unlucky in not being able to get the 1 goal they most likely needed. Doesn’t mean he was wrong to use his squad that way for a 3rd round Fa Cup tie at home to lower league opposition.

The FA Cup just doesn’t hold much value to squads these days. You earn more money from the league and qualifying for Europe so it’s further down on the priority list. Clubs like Bournemouth and stuff realistically know they haven’t got too big a chance of winning the cup so opt to throw second teams out and inevitably get eliminated early.

The cup will continue to be won by whichever big team decides to use the strongest squad.

Take the point on the squad thing but what have Bournemouth got to be scared of.
Their not getting relegated and not making the top 4, so I dont get the logic.
Obviously sticking round the prem for a few years is good but in the long run as a supporter its a bit lacking in interest for me.
Look at the crowds at west brom this season, outside the really big games the grounds not full.
You see it at other grounds too. Portsmouth and Wigan have gone but a section of their fans will always have a great day to remember and talk about.
Id take that than 6 years or so of 16, 17 placed finishes and the then inevitable relegation.

2 Likes