World Cup switches to 48-team tournament

Yis can blame Ireland when this goes tits up I guess. :slight_smile:

Oh shit, I predicted this! Hah

3 Likes

Has 5 countries ever co-hosted the one World Cup? haha. Could be incredible to have a WC on our doorstep!

Nope, not even close. So far, Japan/South Korea in 2002 is the only occasion a World Cup has ever been staged between countries.

Of course the World Cup in 2026 sees the three mainland countries in North America hosting together, so it’s a very rare feat :slight_smile: Five countries sharing the World Cup would be pretty nuts!

Although Russia who just hosted it themselves is bigger than all 5 combined haha. So maybe it’s not so weird then hah

I guess that’s true. It seems like joint bids are going to become a more common occurance. 2030 so far all seems to be made up of joint bids, rather than any country wanting to go it alone. I guess no one fancies building tons of stadiums and then left with lots of empty white elephants after it’s over.

I’m assuming this guy hasn’t pulled these figures out of his arse…

4,000 estimated by 2022. What a sham of a world cup. 2.6 million ppl in that country and 90% are migrant workers who are for all intents and purposes slaves. Think I’ll be boycotting this tbh.

4 Likes

Can’t really care too much either way. Good news is that it should be less likely teams like Sweden, Italy, and Netherlands fail to get in.

It should not. I hope UEFA doesn’t get a lot more entries. Thirteen teams involved in the World Cup are already European nations…

Don’t get me wrong I’m glad the world cup will be going to a new region and will appeal to a larger base, but it is absolutely shameful that Qatar got awarded this. Even more so if them figures turn out to be true.

2 Likes

With 16 more teams? They definitely will. South America get 2, North America 1 or 2, Africa 2, Asia 2… UEFA would make sense - they always have at least one team that doesn’t make it that is better than teams that do.

How have 4,000 people died constructing stadiums? Its fucking 2018 … not 1659 BC ffs. Unreal.

The death toll is not just those working on World Cup facilities, it’s all construction workers in Qatar. But then you could argue, that without the World Cup a lot of the construction work taking place wouldn’t be as urgent – new roads, sewage systems etc.

It’s still a ridiculously high number though. I remember reading a report on it – the workers are pretty much all migrants and can’t leave without an exit visa. They are working in boiling conditions and living in poor accommodation.

Apparently, the number could be even higher – some BBC reporters were arrested when they tried to investigate further.

1 Like

Fixed your post there. I’m sure @Luca_from_Italy would agree :wink:

1 Like

Common sense prevails!!

That’s a shame.
I was looking forward to the thrilling prospect of seeing Andorra v Micronesia playing out a qualifying match in front of some local shepherds and shopkeepers.

1 Like

Now all they need to do is move the tournament from Qatar, it’s as bad as playing a European final in Baku.

3 Likes

Just say you want more money

40 more games than usual. 40!

But at least we’re not having 3 team groups.