What we need in the summer (probably not gonna happen though)

Horn or Leno would be great as goalies.

Over exaggerated bs

Yeah, to be fair, I was just quoting Fergie ā€“ but actually, I remember reading somewhere that despite saying that, his title winning sides never had the best defence in the league (though they were still high up).

I donā€™t think itā€™s supposed to be completely literal though. Itā€™s more that you wonā€™t win a league title with a rubbish defence, but you can win a title without a formidable attack ā€“ 1-0, 1-0, 1-0 etc

What is over exaggerated bs?

The team that wins the league almost without exception will be ranked either first or second in terms of fewest goals conceded.

Defence alone wonā€™t win you titles but the team with the best defence generally wins it.

1 Like

I believe in

Defence make sure you donā€™t lose, attack wins you titles

Barcelona are not heralded for their defence, they are heralded because even their fullbacks are amazing at attacks.

World class defence allow clubs like Athletico Madrid to win titles once in a while, World class atack like Barcelona makes sure you always win titles.
There is a reason attackers go for 4-5 times more money than defenders

The centre of midfield is such an issue for us. If Jack is fit then that mitigates the need for a Cazorla replacement slightly but nobody should bank on that (and he hasnā€™t signed yet!).

So much work that needs to be done before we can even think about getting close to City:

• Cech replacement
  • Cazorla replacement
  • CM partner for Cazorla replacement
  • Mertesacker replacement (possibly even 2 CBs if Mustafi goes)
  • Welbeck / Iwobi upgrade too whilst weā€™re at it

Can see barely even half of that happening.

1 Like

Itā€™s not though, is it?

I might do a statistical analysis or something to prove it.

@Trion my bad you were right

https://www.premierleague.com/news/464218

Better attack has been more likely to win the title than the best defence.

Colour me surprised. @Sol

1 Like

We need a starting Keeper, 2 Centre backs, A full back, Ball winning Defensive midfielder & A winger.

2 Likes

So to splash the cash. Can our greedy board do it? I donā€™t know.

Absolutely no chance.

We definitely donā€™t need two CBS. One will suffice

2 Likes

Who of our current Centre Backs do you think is starting 11 material at a top European side ?

We donā€™t know what could happen to holding chambers mavropanos or Mustafi under a new manager.

Thereā€™s no way we need to sign 2 new CBs when we have Chambers, Holding, Mav, Mustafiā€¦ having 6 CBs is beyond overkill. We just need one high quality CB and Iā€™m sure one of the other 4 will step up to the plate to be a good partner.

5 Likes

The only genuine class CB we got is Mavro, the others are either shite or past it. Hoping for 2-3 new CBs, but its probably gonna be 1 experienced guy ala Sokratis.

We need a stand out centre back. Sell Mustafi to raise funds towards this.

3 Likes

Get one established very good CB, I believe Mustafi still has good in him.

Chambers is looking ready tbh whilst Holding needs a lot of work. Mav is a great prospect but canā€™t be relied upon just yet.

4 Likes

The bare minimum would be a top quality CB, who is also captain material, a top quality GK and a CM replacement for Cazorla.

Kos is clearly is only going to be used sparingly, if at all, and Mustafi might turn into a better defender with a new manager.

It would be nice to get a winger or another attacking player like Martial but realistically we arenā€™t going to have a net spend of much more than 100m, so the defence is the area that needs the most amount of work.

1 Like

How can you tell heā€™s genuine class already? Like what are the signs heā€™s looking likely to be at that level consistently?