Thierry Henry

Thierry Henry is a retired French professional footballer who played as a forward. He spent eight years at Arsenal where he is the club’s all-time record goalscorer scoring 228 goals (377 caps).

Title wins:
Premier League (2): 2001–02, 2003–04
FA Cup (3): 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05
FA Community Shield (2): 2002, 2004

Individual honours during his time with Arsenal:
First of 50 Gunners Greatest Players
**Ballon d’**Or – Runner-up: 2003; Third-place: 2006
FIFA World Player of the Year – Silver Award: 2003, 2004
PFA Players’ Player of the Year: 2002–03, 2003–04
PFA Team of the Year: 2000–01, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2003–04, 2004–05, 2005–06
PFA Team of the Century (1907–2007):
Team of the Century 1997-2007
FWA Footballer of the Year: 2002–03, 2003–04, 2005–06
Premier League Golden Boot: 2001–02, 2003–04, 2004–05, 2005–06.
Golden Boot Landmark Award 10: 2004–05
Golden Boot Landmark Award 20: 2004–05
Premier League Player of the Month: April 2000, September 2002, January 2004, April 2004
BBC Goal of the Season: 2002–03
UEFA Team of the Year: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006
European Golden Boot: 2003–04, 2004–05
French Player of the Year: 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
IFFHS World’s Top Goal Scorer of the Year: 2003
FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2006
English Football Hall of Fame : 2008
Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 – 2001–02)

3 Likes

What’s a golden boot landmark award?

Funny how this thread was made when Daily Mail published this…

1 Like

I can’t imagine Henry being a very good coach, solely based on the quality of his punditry on BBC & Sky. Don’t mind having him around though because of his presence, as long as it’s not a significant role.

3 Likes

Don’t sky pay him 4m a year or something? Unlikely he’ll leave for much less money and much more hassle. It will be our loss ultimately if we don’t keep him around I’d say.

There’s nothing out of order about the demand for him to quit Sky. If he’s serious about being committed to arsenal then yeah we require total dedication. Plenty of better coaches out there who would kill for an opportunity like this with arsenal.

The nature of his work with Sky undermines the club and prevents him from giving 100% to his role.

4 Likes

Hes working with the under 18s ffs.

1 Like

I’d like to keep him at the club regardless to be honest. More for his presence than anything else.

Thierry Henry leaves Arsenal: Club legend no longer part of Arsene Wenger’s staff after refusing to give up TV role

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/thierry-henry-leaves-arsenal-club-legend-no-longer-part-of-arsene-wenger-s-staff-after-refusing-to-a3293646.html

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/752782215734554624

Wtf?

That article from the standard seems like rubbish. It suggests Tony Adams will be offered the place instead? Can’t see that happening after all the criticism he has given to Arsenal/Wenger over recent years. Would love to have him a part of Arsenal again though.

It makes sense to have him committed to his job at Arsenal. Doing it part time isn’t going to help anyone.

Wenger has always said he won’t create a role just because an ex player wants a coaching job. Frans de Kat left recently to work with the Dutch academy, his assistant Kwame Ampadu was promoted to replace Frans as u18 Manager and the role as assistant was offered to Henry.

A full time role opened and he’s obviously not too serious about coaching to wanna accept it.

He’s always been coming back this summer to work with the u18s, he & Henry were originally going to be joint assistants for Kwame Ampadu.

2 Likes

A fair request in theory but somewhat hypocritical considering Wenger spent the majority of summer living it up in France with a punditry gig.

Like Burgundy said I don’t think it’s a huge loss, my estimation of Henry goes down a little every time I hear him speak.

tbf it’s hardly comparable. One is off season punditry when there’s no one at the training ground and the other is doing punditry 2-3 a week during normal season. I’m sure Wenger wouldn’t complain if Henry was doing similar punditry work to his.

1 Like

Has he? I always thought he didn’t have a role here? This is news to me. Quite pleased by that actually. :slight_smile:

EDIT:

And I completely misread it, Somehow that got completely jumbled up in mind. Pleased that he’s been given a job here.

Surely the point is whether or not it would interfere with his coaching responsibilities. If he was missing games to comment on stoke v Sunderland then obviously thats bollocks. But if he was due to have every Sunday off anyway then I just can’t see the issue.

Did training not start while the Euro’s were still ongoing? I’ve never been a fan of Wenger and his double standards tbh.

1 Like

I don’t know his exact working schedule, but if he’s really being paid 4m a year by a TV company I’d imagine that they would want him available at any time pretty much, which will include preparation and all kind of marketing stuff.

It’s balancing two full time jobs where one party will always feel left out.

It started about a week ago. It will be mostly fitness training with the fitness coach.

Not sure if you’re being serious, but if so surely you can see the difference.

1 Like

It did and he actually flew back to start pre-season training. Sessions he missed by the looks of it were mostly strength and conditioning and I doubt he takes those anyway, there’s people paid specifically for that, he watches over.

1 Like

Working on skysports is hardly rocket science though, like Shamrock said if it’s one or two days a week he’s gone it’s really not that big of deal for the U18s. I’m sure the kids wouldn’t mind either what with him being an absolute legend - potential coaching and tactical ability aside.

It was a pretty bold move by Wenger and I can’t help but feel there is an ulterior motive behind it we are missing. If this was a more advanced position I’d absolute agree with Wenger’s decision in principle but even Neville balanced a pretty important job as the England AM and punditry, granted they were only playing on off sessions but still.

1 Like

Wenger worked with beIN Sports during the Summer, not during the season.

1 Like