Theo Walcott

I agree.
When things are going well for Walcott, it’s usually when the whole team are playing well.
What we need from players like him are to take the game by the scruff of the neck when things aren’t going so well, like Henry, Bergkamp, Pires etc used to do, and players like Sanchez, Ozil and Cazorla do in this team.

A few games into a new season and people are talking as if he is the new Henry.
If he is that great, why doesn’t he show it more consistently?
That’s what great players do, and until he does that he will never be considered anything more than a good player, who lacked the winning mentality and consistency to become anything more.

1 Like

Yea we do though, see Coquelin, Elneny, Ramsey that’s the whole point of their role, to cover as much of the pitch as possible constantly winning the ball back and to an extent and they all need a technical midfielder next to them because their passing isn’t good enough in itself.

[quote=“AbouCuellar, post:317, topic:89”]
Agreed with all of this. Campbell did play better than Theo last season, but overall the appraisal of their comparative abilities was all out of whack among Arsenal fans, and Campbell was overrated a good bit/much more of a mystery than what was necessary was made out of Wenger looking to give Ox/Theo opportunities to improve and finally Iwobi a chance instead of playing Campbell every week. [/quote]

Campbell alongside Iwobi was our second best winger last term. His creativity, link up, tracking back and finishing were all good. But when it comes to attacking potential he’s below all the others. Part of his problem is he isn’t home grown too so uses a foreign spot. I also read something from an ITK years ago who reckoned we had a falling out with Campbell, could be BS ofcourse.

He definitely wasn’t average in 13/14 though was he? In theory Ramsey makes a good partner for Xhaka. Xhaka can sit deep and dictate play, while being an aggressive ball winner, as Ramsey plays 1-2s and makes runs into the box, while having good enough stamina to press high and make recovering runs. It’s all about his discipline though.

He was much more disciplined though in the last couple of months when paired with Elneny. The thing is, he isn’t great on the right wing either. He’s another player like Theo we’re wishfully hoping he returns to form. Theo ofcourse has managed it thus far.

Theo really isn’t a scruff of the neck player imo. He can’t create something out of nothing, but rather is a niche type of player that if certain pre requisites are met, make him one of the most dangerous right wingers around.

Oddly, Michael Owen mentioned something that really resonated with my feelings on Theo, it was along the lines of Theos style of play often makes him look ineffective, however he is a dream for midfielders to play with, and a nightmare for defenders to play against.

His ability to find a 1 on 1 with the keeper is almost in paralleled and he really does perform in big games, but like most of our players, they need everyone else to chip in with something if they are to get a goal.

My understanding is that the individuals capable of ‘scruff of the neck’ football are Alexis and Ramsey in all honesty, what do you think? Maybe Ozil in a sense? He owns the midfield, just, not at all in a combative way.

No one can know the future and there is no harm in having an opinion on a player based on what you know and have seen here and now. Things turn around very quickly in football, it’s a lesson that sports teaches us time and time again. You have to remember that when someone thinks a player won’t make it or should be sold, they’re not privy to the dramatic shifts in form and circumstance that can and do occur. It’s a very unpredictable landscape.

I have been an advocate of Theo Walcott for years and have never once remotely agreed with the notion that Walcott has done nothing in ten years. In fact I think that notion is point blank stupid. However, the manner in which players like Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Ramsey played between December 2015 and May 2016 inevitably influence my negative outlook on their standing here at Arsenal. I am now happy that the man who knows these players better than anyone has found a way to get this team and this player many of us lost hope in to perform.

It really doesn’t have to result in a “haha you were saying” pissing contest. What is over the top and what isn’t is also each person’s opinion. We all predict things horribly wrong often with almost zero reason to have thought otherwise and also get things right on occasion too. Backing something blindly is just one approach to being a fan, it’s not the only approach. A little understanding goes a long way and ultimately we should always give credit where it’s due.

3 Likes

It’s not a certainty any of those three are going to be on the pitch regularly, if our midfield is going to be Xhaka, Cazorla and Ozil. Banking on a 31-year old (32 next season) as the creative hub of our team just doesn’t seem that smart too me.

I definitely missed the meeting/memo where 31/32 was declared as old for a footballer. Or maybe im just more aware of such declarations now that I’m 34 myself. :grin:

[quote=“Oliver, post:324, topic:89, full:true”]
Theo really isn’t a scruff of the neck player imo. He can’t create something out of nothing, but rather is a niche type of player that if certain pre requisites are met, make him one of the most dangerous right wingers around.

Oddly, Michael Owen mentioned something that really resonated with my feelings on Theo, it was along the lines of Theos style of play often makes him look ineffective, however he is a dream for midfielders to play with, and a nightmare for defenders to play against.

His ability to find a 1 on 1 with the keeper is almost in paralleled and he really does perform in big games, but like most of our players, they need everyone else to chip in with something if they are to get a goal.

My understanding is that the individuals capable of ‘scruff of the neck’ football are Alexis and Ramsey in all honesty, what do you think? Maybe Ozil in a sense? He owns the midfield, just, not at all in a combative way.
[/quote]This is the problem with Walcott.
He might be difficult to defend against and great for other midfield players to play with, but in games where we are struggling he becomes almost ineffective when the opposition play with everyone behind the ball.

I agree, he isn’t the type of player to take a game by the scruff of the neck, but that was my point, that only players that are described as great can do this, and why I think that, although he is sometimes a very good player, he doesn’t fall into the same category as these other world class players.

I was one of those who said he would have a great season, last season, and that he was one of the best finishers at the club, and was one of the most dangerous on the counter attack, but after so many seasons of inconsistency, as well as injuries, I’m not sure he is the player that can be relied on.

Vote Theo Walcott for Player of the Month below! :theo:

1 Like

I dont think I can do that tbh

5 Likes

Poor Theo Walcott didn’t make any impact in World Cup Qualifiers

1 Like

Predictable, isn’t it? He is just a very limited player. Useful in particular situations, but limited nonetheless.

4 Likes

He just lives on some good moments. Never trusted him that much.

Im glad he had his bad games for England , this can serve as a kick up the backside and spur him on to keep working hard for us !
My problem with Theo stemmed from last year when he was lazy and clearly wasnt giving it 100 pct.
He’s upped his work rate he just need’s to find consistency !

Very system dependent. Unless a manager makes it a priority to get the best out of his limited attributes, he is just not useful on his own.
Even if Theo has a good season this term, I want us to buy a quality right winger for good this Jan/Jun.

3 Likes

It’s weird because he used to play average for us and come to life with England. Maybe he’s sorted his priorities out!

I agree.
If we sold Walcott, we could easily afford to get a wide player like Reus, who, like Walcott, could also play upfront as well.

I really thought Walcott was going to prove that he had what it takes to make it big in the PL, last season, but his injuries, which have led to inconsistency, have proved we can do better than him.

The only other option would be to sell Chamberlain, buy Reus and keep Walcott as a very good option on the bench, but I don’t see Walcott tolerating being a squad player.

Guy is a good player but a walking injury. Not worth it IMO. Would prefer Fekir

Dont they sorta play in different positions though? Thought Fekir was more of a CAM and Reus more of a forward/winger…suppose they are good enough though to play anywhere in attack.

Fekir over Reus is madness tbh.

I think he started out the season as a right winger and since Lacazette got injured has a more central position. But for us they both would be considered for Walcott’s position I imagine.