Theo Walcott

When Zouma’s back he will be dropped. Average defender. Chelsea fans hate him lol

Why the fuck are you writing like that? It looks like you’re trying to write a haiku but don’t really understand what that is.

Yeh yeh, keep trying to divert attention from your Cahill-esque gaffe.

I literally stand by it lol.

Just because I occasionally don’t allow black people on trains doesn’t mean I give a fuck what Chelsea fans think. I think he’s a very solid defender and is at the misfortune of his clubs lack of stability.

Once you accept it’s past tense all will be well.

He shouldnt need all that to look competant, which he really didn’t at times last season.

I bet Cahill would have been shit for us. John Terry made him look a lot better than he really is.

So Hazard is literally done to you after last season?

Credit where is due. He has been very good for us recently, especially in front of goal, not his best strength.

Er, no, if anything my bias is pro English players. Just ask Jack Wilshere. It’s not my fault that English football culture/development is bad. Calling a fan from Madrid who supports an English team and follows English football more than spanish football anti-English is weird, if you actually think about it, especially if you’ve paid attention to how I back young english players, sometimes against my better wisdom, until they show me I can’t anymore.

Well, that’s the thing, Theo even when he’s effective sometimes doesn’t look particularly competent. Which is the source, as I’ve always said, of the well OTT criticism of him. He’s a player that is more effective than he looks, as a rule, and when he’s not effective, he looks totally incompetent.

Setting aside the incredible tournament Hazard had at the Euro’s him and Cahill are two very different propositions.

The real question here is Cahill better than Jonny Evans? That would be some partnership.

1 Like

Nah, he deserved every piece of it last season.

1 Like

A little bit of revisionism is afoot.

Not at all, lol. I was saying literally the exact same thing last season. Revisionism is what would be afoot if I quoted your OTT comments on Theo from last season, or quoted you banging on about signing Kante, or Schneiderlin, or Fellaini.

How is that revisionism? Am I denying I heavily criticised him or wanted to sign those players at some point?

Enlighten me bro.

You’ve baited AC better so I’m not going to indulge.

I think the system must have a major part to play in it. I genuinely don’t think he would have had the belief, time, space and service he has been afforded had Giroud still been playing up top and we were using last season’s system. His confidence has grown through this season as the play creates regular goalmouth action for him.

Arsene Wenger spoke about balance in the press recently regarding his team selection and it’s really starting to become clear what that entails for a team that plays like we look to do. Walcott just can’t be involved in a sterile side that struggles to create cutting edge in front of the opposition’s penalty area. He’s been the perfect outlet for an incisive game for us since the day he joined even with his form, confidence and effort dropping to zero.

When Alexis plays up top, Iwobi plays on the opposite flank and then with creative players like Ozil, Cazorla and Xhaka involved, Theo is truly in his element. We play quick, forward thinking passing football. Iwobi in particular seems to connect with Theo at just the right times, we’ve needed a quick playmaker like Iwobi for quite some time now and those two could prove to be a lethal combination when Arsenal are in form.

And while a player like Walcott fits so seamlessly in such a system as a constant outlet, he’s a massive goal threat.

3 Likes

There could be lots of things that are helping him but the main one is that he’s simply trying harder. Good for him and good for us.

2 Likes

Bang on. His work rate was fantastic tonight - finally seems to have grown some balls. I won’t hold my breath, but if it continues, we are going to be formidable.

1 Like

Just seen the 2nd goal again on MotD, and it’s really a perfect summary of Theo at his best: picks up the ball on the right, has a decent enough first touch and cut to the left to retain possession, returns it to a more technical player. Then times a really clever run between full back and CB as Özil receives the ball, where Özil actually could’ve picked him out, but didn’t see him. Continues moving, vacates that space as Iwobi receives, Bellerín moves into it, Theo drifts into the middle, ball gets to Bellerín, and tap in.

5 Likes