Theo Walcott

This guy needs so more love been performing consistently so far; definitely missed him against psg

Finally started playing well again, awesome stuff

Its great to see. Iā€™d love to know what has made the difference for him this season, he looks like a different player.

2 Likes

Indeed. He looks tenacious in every department. I think the wing benefits him so much more than it does if you popped him as a CF where he looks lost and adds nothing to the team. Now, heā€™s forcing more positive runs, really working that wing well, getting back and making incisive tackles. Proper performances so far and would love him to find some of that golden form weā€™ve seen from him in the past.

3 goals and 1 assist so far for him out there.

This isnt a pisstake, i think it came down to being out of the WC and maybe even been told his play isnt good enough for the time he has been here. I reckon maybe he started to feel that he was in the last chance saloon for his place at arsenal and that if he didnt do something he could fall down the pecking order and maybe out of the club. Maybe seeing someone like Wilshere going on loan he thought ā€˜oh shit i thought he was a guaranteed starter here and he is gone, better do somethingā€™

Credit it where itā€™s due heā€™s been doing very well as of late, similar performance to that of United at home last season where he pressed and defended all game.

Hopefully he can maintain consistency because we need a constant goal threat on the wing considering how Sanchez is being deputised up top.

Think heā€™s done well this season so far, as his stats clearly show. Heā€™s also tracking back a hell of a lot moreā€¦lets just hope he keeps it up!

Was mighty impressed with him today. When he plays hard you can paper over the cracks of his sloppy technique and his pace was definitely on show today.

Iwobi on the other wing is an absolute must when Theo is on the pitch if we want to play our game, as far as Iā€™m concerned Iā€™d happily not see Ox play this season again.

1 Like

Think itā€™s pretty simple:

1. Playing in a team that has something resembling a midfield again (he started well last season when we still had a midfield)
  2. Not playing on the left wing in a situation thatā€™s totally not suited to him, where heā€™s facing the play and actually asked to make a lot of decisions with the ball, and pass it, and dribble it, instead of just doing his instinctual run and cross and shoot game
  3. Not in poor form

You forgot

1. playing against a non Mou Chelsea. Heā€™s literally that clubs boogey player.

Haha yeah (heā€™s got a pretty good record against big clubs in general).

But the performance today was in line with what weā€™ve seen from him all season.

1 Like

Meh, I donā€™t buy into the hype heā€™s some sort of revamped beast this season, in the past heā€™s actually been much, much better with cleaner fundamentals to his game.

Though like you say not being in poor form doesnā€™t necessarily mean heā€™s in great form. Heā€™s obviously a confidence player and if we want to kick on with the a title campaign he needs to use this performance today and grow. No point looking like an Arsenal player today only to go missing in our next 5-7 games where we have a real possibility to get some points on the board.

When Ozil/Alexis/Iwobi play like they did today we can afford to have Theo as a passenger and hell he was anything but that today. What we canā€™t have is Ox and Theo on the pitch at the same time. I was very pleased to see young Iwobi get off the pitch early today.

Ox canā€™t be on the pitch, full stop.

And yeah, itā€™s not even like Walcott is in great form, he was still better in 12-13 than this, IMO, today there were a number of frustrating moments, including one memorable one where a shocking first touch ended a move that wouldā€™ve been hard to not end in the 4th goal.

Theyā€™re were quite a few that moments that a greater player would have capitalized on. In all honesty I was genuinely impressed with him today, and like you always say his pace causes teams problems. Not so much in terms of stretching their back line - which did happen a number of times today - but when he actually put pressure on the defenders. Cahill is a top class CB imo and he looked like a bumbling child today because Theo and Alexis were closing down.

Itā€™s one of the reason I never bought into the whole, ā€™ Vardy wonā€™t work for us,ā€™ argument. You use aggression and pace from the front foot and donā€™t allow the opposition to play, then combine it with our deadly precision one-touch football then we can be unplayable.

Today was the first time in a long time Iā€™ve genuinely enjoyed watching us play.

Stopped reading here tbh. :grimacing:

1 Like

Cahill has been poor for a good while, was benched for fun in Mourinhoā€™s last season, wasnā€™t convincing in the Euroā€™s and now makes Luiz look like the better defender and that takes some doing.

So yeah at best heā€™s average these days.

Cahillā€™s a good player tbh, Iā€™d have loved him here. Saying heā€™s looked poor in a Mou breakdown side and when Conte is trying to get to grips with the league is a little lazy. Heā€™s been Chelseaā€™s second best defender for a long time, letā€™s not hold being English against him now.

Fair play to him, I have been very harsh on him recently, but I saw highlights today and he was very good.

Loves a game against Chelsea. Like others are saying, he wasnā€™t AMAZING, but he is doing the basics well enough. Good workrate, and an intention for positive play.

Contrary to popular opinion we fans arenā€™t looking to advance agendas. When a player is shit in our eyes, we will say so, and if he plays well we wonā€™t.

Obviously emotions run a bit higher when it comes to guys like Theo, Ramsey, Ox because of how long they have been at the club and the promise they have all had at times in their careers, so there is real frustration when they donā€™t consistently reach the heights we know they have.

Especially for me, who was on the Theo train ever since he joined till 2014, despite everything.
Last season was more of a gut punch to me and people like me than anyone else. Guys like @SDGooner who never rated him werenā€™t disappointed because they had felt this way for a long time but for me to be fed that shite after so long thinking if he got an extended run was destroying.

Like I said earlier, if I wanted to be a talking head and go after agendas against Wenger or certain players then Iā€™d fly to London and find Robbie to give a 5 minute monologue on my hot take on life and Arsenal.
Or even sign up here in my full name and link to my blog on how ā€˜7 reasons why insert name is finishedā€™ in true clickbait fashion.

But I signed up anonymously, and all I can do on a football forum is post whatever opinion i feel at a time. Iā€™d imagine that is the same for everyone here.

I am wrong a lot, and if me being wrong ends up helping the Arsenal then I am always more than happy to admit it.

1 Like

I wonā€™t hold being English against anyone thatā€™s @AbouCuellar :joy:

1 Like

Not many Chelsea fans would agree with you.

Heā€™s pretty awful, tbh, and has been for a while.

Are you BradyMagic in disguise? :jakey: