General News

Here we go again.

1 Like

:grimacing:

Probably a cheque by Stan for some decent investment.

1 Like

Horrible. I go to Genoa 4 times per year so this thing hits me very hard.

I’m sure he’s going to make lots of friends in prison

I’d take Rust Cohle’s advice and kill myself at the first opportunity I got

3 Likes

Metro is now the biggest paper in the UK cause its free haha

Who the fuck made these stats. Pure bullshit! :mustafi:

FT is the only newspaper I’ll read these days.

2 Likes

You just hate any kind of stats don’t you :rofl::rofl:

No. Not at all. I was just parodying myself there. :slight_smile:

I have no fucking clue what the % in those is supposed to mean though.

Edit: Oh. I get it now that I’m viewing it on mobile. Those down arrows didn’t translate well to desktop. Haha

1 Like

With such decline you can see why they try so desperately to polarize opinion.

1 Like

which restricts their reader base even more.

honestly, good riddance. this is what happens when you throw facts out the window and report sensationalism and whatever your editor/owner wants completely unchecked.

1 Like

City AM is a dreadful paper, not surprised to see them last.

I’m happy to see readership of the tabloids going down but I’m not sure if the alternative is better. People just read a lot of shit online now

3 Likes

You can see this even more explicitly in the U.S. I saw the news yesterday where American papers printed ads saying things like - journalists are not the enemy. Then an interview piece where some women actually argued that the lives of journalists are at risk on the basis that no one believes them anymore. Insane reductionist outlook. Just tell the news properly lol, and stop making up rubbish.

3 Likes

This is in direct to response to Trump painting them as an enemy of the people.

Considering what happened at the Capital Gazette, this is a bit of a strange statement to take exception to.

Now don’t get me wrong. Trump and I actually agree about CNN. They’re trash and haven’t been real news for 20 years. The day Tony Blair stepped down and Gordon Brown took over, they were showing Britney Spears going to jail on a loop.

Outside of tabloids, most Newspapers have always been more thoughtful and thorough in their reporting. Most local newspapers do good work. Real journalism. Yet, Fox, MSNBC, and CNN are still going strong… go figure.

1 Like

That’s why Trump’s message about the news media resonates with people, even those outside of America.

Because, sadly, there is a lot of truth to it.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that. Perhaps I shouldn’t comment so strongly on affairs I don’t follow at all closely. What I would ask though is this: if Trump calls them enemies of the people, and they (i.e. the papers you mention) do produce essentially fake news, then does my point still hold? Does the first responsibility not lie with the quality and integrity of the journalists? People don’t just consider news fake in a vacuum.

I wouldn’t doubt the quality of some journalism or some particular journalists, my meaning was more the general trend of poorly researched, uncritical journalism which clearly pivots around a particular narrative - the type of journalism which has made ‘fake news’ a sometimes legitimate statement. It’s probably always been this way, just nowadays with social media you can see through it easier and interact with those who are equally sceptical. That Trump is a blatant hypocrite is not something which I am disputing.

1 Like

:joy: