General News

What does this sort of message send out to good looking girls, from wealthy families and good prospects?
It’s ok if you have a row with you boyfriend, just stab him and you’ll be ok.

I would have thought being brought up with the sort of advantages she had would mean they should have more self control and self awareness, not less.

Ironically the profession she is in requires her to use a knife.
I would suggest to her work colleagues not to get on the wrong side of her while she is working.

Saudi Arabia becomes the final country in the world to allow women to drive cars

3 Likes

Blimey.

What the hell Is your job?

About time.

Jokes about women drivers are about to soar in Saudi Arabia.

1 Like

The first post I saw on Twitter was “Saudi Arabia is about to get a lot less safer” :smirk:

2 Likes

That’s all well and good but as you said unfortunately the same considerations aren’t applied across the board.

I’d happily admit I’m wrong but the domestic violence the article mentions, wasn’t that commited by her rather than on her? That’s what one of the previous articles said.

Anyways, being a doctor (or teacher etc.) isn’t the same as any other profession. You will have the trust of very vulnerable people and will have to deal with very stressful situations and if you can’t handle that you shouldn’t be in that situation in the first place.

I do sincerely hope she continues to get help and get better and makes the most of this second chance she has got. Especially if she just gets a fitness to practice and is still allowed to practice.

Needs to count herself lucky as not everyone is afforded this. Or has articles written explaining away what you did because it was only surface wounds and that you were drunk. I mean that makes it ok I guess :arteta:

Also

The fact that this is your reaction to what Kaner said says a lot. Believe it or not, that actually happens.

1 Like

How do you know that happens? Or are you jumping to a conclusion just as you were earlier?

FYI, the fact you jumped to a conclusion here says an awful lot about you and the way you falsely perceive the world, so if im wrong lets educate eachother

Unless you think people plead guilty against their lawers advice what explanation would you give for more people of colour pleading guilty to their charges than a white person?

Pleading guilty leads to lesser sentences, the issue iirc is that people of colour plead not guilty.

You honestly don’t get the legal system do you?

Exactly, whitch is why a lawyer would advise someone he thinks is more likely to be found guilty to plead guilty so they get a lesser sentence,

The lawyer knows the minority person is more likely to be found guilty so will give advice on that basis regardless of wether he person is actually guilty

Studies have supposedly found BAME are more likely to plead not guilty. Which is a factor in their demographic having longer sentences, you seem to feel it’s the opposite though? Can you elaborate

Should we go to PM before Jake gets upset again?

Where did you see these studies? I highly doubt that’s true but if it is maybe it’s because they actually were not guilty but were arrested and charged anyway?

Why did you bring up the issue of people pleading guilty in relation to minority’s being convicted at a higher rate then white people for the exact same crimes? (Something that definately has been shown in lots and lots of very credible studies)

PM :slight_smile:

as long as your willing to debate properly I don’t think jake will mind. @JakeyBoy ?

I wasn’t asking for permission to post here. I am encouraging a private discussion to save the rest of the forum from another dreary back and forth.

You’re about to back up one of your claims, I don’t think you should deprive those of us who read the rest of this back and forth that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2014/11/20/why-innocent-people-plead-guilty/

https://theintercept.com/2014/11/07/how-the-innocent-get-screwed/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/crime/judge-plea-deal-process-fixed-article-1.1806358

It’s got nothing to do with being upset and you know this, its because it was just a “dreary” back and forth with little attempt to actually debate, which is why I suggested you either stop or have an actual discussion that people wouldn’t mind reading.

So if you’re having a discussion about something related to current affairs in this thread, you’re free to continue as you please.