UEFA Europa League

Better start getting comfy here. Hello new home

Also 09 July 2016

:santi:: unreal prediction lol

1 Like

So when are we gonna start? Excited by this new adventure :smiley:

I would be excited by it if we were tackling it under a new manager.

1 Like

Isnā€™t there a big chance we miss out on this as well?

1 Like

Weā€™re 10 points above West Brom with 2 games in hand so itā€™d be some collapse to finish 8th!

Unless Leicester win the CL then 7th place is defo in the EL.

A weird and not important question, but if we do finish 6th or 7th and have to start our season in June/July, will the Emirates Cup be cancelled again? :grin:

Iā€™m looking forward to the Europa League and some new destinations. Luckily my OH feels the same way. Iā€™ll goto them all in the unlikely situation we can both get time off work. I just hope Wenger will give it a go and not decide its ā€˜beneath himā€™

Mourinhoā€™ managed to win a domestic cup and go deep into Europe so for those that like winning stuff over mere league position then itā€™s doable

1 Like

I donā€™t buy the EL difficulty hype. We are better than every team left in the EL apart from United (arguable but Iā€™d say we were better) so thereā€™s no reason to think if we were in it that we wouldnā€™t have a realistic shot at winning it even with Wenger. Heā€™s won 2 FA cups and this is just another knockout tournament.

There is no Bayern Munich and no Barcelona in the EL. We wonā€™t be 5-1 down from the first leg and then game-over for the second leg. Weā€™re not going to have 29% possession against any EL team. Two legged ties give you the chance for redemption and we came close at times with Bayern, Milan, Monaco and weā€™d build some momentum with Rostov and St Etienne.

Even if we faced some of the ā€œbiggerā€ teams like Villareal weā€™d have to be really down in the dumps to not fancy a win over two legs.

As a neutral I love to watch some EL knockouts as itā€™s a competitive tournament with some good football but at the end of the day itā€™s a competition for 5th/6th placed clubs and CL dropouts. As an Arsenal man Iā€™ve looked down on it because weā€™re neither of those things but now weā€™re going to deservedly be a 5th/6th (right now it feels like 6th) team then this will be our level and in that case Iā€™m all for it.

3 Likes

OH FFS! Letā€™s try to be positive about the Europa League at least, lol!

I think Lyon would definitely beat us at the moment and Schalke Oh Vier as well

I think Manchester Unitedā€™s tag as favourites is based only on club size and on form I think itā€™s Lyonā€™s to lose. If we were there in place of United Iā€™d have us 3rd favourite of 8

Not if we are getting Goretzka from them :santi2:

I will take 3rd favourite of 8 over getting beaten 10-2 in the Round of 16 in the CL.

2 Likes

I feel like the Europa League is a touch underwhelming this season, which might mislead us into thinking itā€™ll be a walk in the park. But last season, Sevilla, Liverpool, Villarreal, Athletic Bilbao and Dortmund were all in the last 8. I wouldnā€™t fancy us against any of those teams right now.

Cā€™mon! We are not good enough for the Champions League, but if we canā€™t really match (match, not beat) all the teams you have listed we truly deserve to disappear.

I genuinely do not care about this competition. It lost a lot of its former glory when they changed the UEFA Cup to this.

Itā€™s certainly underwhelming going from the Champions League into this, although thatā€™s hardly been a pleasant experience in the last few years.

Not sure Iā€™ll have the stomach to sit down on a Thursday night and watch us play away in Ukraine or somewhere (but lets face it I probably will :joy:).

Cā€™mon boys! We have a final to get a revenge for :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S75hTDHl7nc

1 Like

WTF in Lyon!? Crazy scenes!

Besiktas fans throwing ā€˜missilesā€™ down upon the Lyon fans from the upper tier so the Lyon lot just walked onto the pitch to protect themselves.

https://cdn-e2.streamable.com/video/mp4/sjem7.mp4?token=1493319650_3b4278a930e198f679693c47e2d3b0967850b9ab

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/steward-hurt-violence-ahead-lyon-besiktas-185018557--sow.html

Turkish supportes :xhaka:

Last year might as well be the exemption though. Dortmund usually is in the Champions League. Same goes for one of Sevilla/Villareal too.

We donā€™t need to fear Bilbao.

1 Like