The Emirates XI (2006-2016)

For those who may remember on the old boards I was also a sucker for lists and whatnot. So I wanted to put together a list to celebrate 10 years at the Emirates.

It’s a team of the very best 11 players to have played at the Emirates.

Before I collate the list into a team, all I ask is that you use one of two formations;

• 4-2-3-1
  • 4-3-3

The above are the two most famous formations used by Wenger during his tenure at the Emirates. So I’d like you guys to use that to make it easy when I’m collating the results into a cohesive team.

It does not have to be a balanced team or anything of the sort. Just the best 11 players in each individual position.

So I’ll start:

- Cech

Sagna - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Monreal

Santi - Fabregas

Hleb            Ozil            Sanchez

RVP
2 Likes

I’d have Gallas above Per personally, yeah he sooked etc but I still think as a player he was a better defender than Per.

So put your team together then bro. So I can put it into a list in a few days.

1 Like

Fuck me, we’ve had some bloody awful players in the last 10 years. This is harder than I thought it’d be. Henry and Ljungberg only played one season at the Emirates but I don’t care, I’m having them. Was going to pick Bergkamp as he had his testimonial there but I thought that might be pushing it a bit :grin:

Cech

Bellerin Gallas Kos Monreal

Santi Fabregas

Ljungberg Özil Alexis

Henry

1 Like

Lehmann
Sagna
Kolo
Kos
Clichy
Nasri
Santi
Ozil/my change would be fab for ozil
Sanchez
Van persie
Henry
4-3-2-1

Subject to change.

Edit… Having Gallas was bugging me…so will change to Kolo.

1 Like
                          Cech

Sagna - Mustafi - Koscienly - Nacho

Santi - Fabregas

Nasri - Özil - Alexis

Van Persie
1 Like

Do we consider Henry at his 06-07 level ? Or just his level overall ? I assume because it’s the Emirates era it’s the 06-07 season alone ?

Overall…same as all the players…he was still playing at top level…06/07

Yeah that’s the problem I had. But he still had it during that season, still produced a decent games to goals ratio. Anything to not have to put down RVP.

It’s whoever you think are the best 11 players to play at the Emirates. I sided with RVP because his overall contribution since 2006 was greater IMO and his peak here was better than Henry’s sole season at the Emirates.

But that’s my opinion

Cech

Sagna - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Clichy

Silva - Fabregas

Hleb     -       Özil     -      Sanchez

van Persie
1 Like

I’ve gone for one which I think would be the most balanced - midfield of Santi/Fabregas is terrifying and Flamini was amazing in his first spell. Also think that Ozil on the right in a free-ish role would be pure sex with Santi and Cesc.

2 Likes

If it’s only counting 2006 onwards I’m going Cech, Sanga, Gallas, Kos, Monreal, Fabregas, Cazorla, Nasri, Ozil, Sanchez & RVP.

1 Like

Great thread by the way :smiley:

1 Like

My finished selection… No turning back now…

http://startingeleven.co.uk/user-formation/166385

1 Like

…Cech…
…Sagna…Clichy
…Kos…Toure…
…Cesc…Cazorla…
Nasri…Ozil…Sanchez
…RVP…

I would have liked to have Henry and Ljundberg but they were not the players they had been, and there was no way I could have Gallas, although Verms was a decent CB.

1 Like

Seems the problem with people not picking Henry is because they think he was finished, He wasnt,he went to Barca and if im not wrong did pretty well… And when he came back and was still better than some of the chaff we had playing… Anyway thats why i picked him… Still dont forgive him for missing 2 sitters in the CL final though…

Alumnia
Hoyte Djourou Senderos Gallas ©
Eboue Denilson Song Traore
Bendtner Park

An era defining 11.

2 Likes

I have it down to the fact that we got nearly 100 league goals and around 140 appearances from RVP at the Emirates. His final two seasons were outstanding. Whereas with Henry we got about 17 league games and 10 goals. That’s my rationale anyway.

2 Likes

Oh for the days we could put 2 teams out…