Boxing

For me, Canelo hit and moved cleaner. He did get gassed but the compubox numbers showed it to be closer than many people think imo.

Have to say god knows what is in Golovkin’s chin. Unbelievable the shots he took and kept moving forward.

Don’t think it is too hard to see how Canelo won 3 of the first 4 and 3 of the last 4 rounds.

Thought Golovkin won pretty easily on points, and was surprised at a draw.

And that 118-110 :slight_smile:

No he didn’t. GGG missed most of what he threw tonight, boxing is scored on clean accurate punching and effective aggression. Canelo was landing clean, GGG was missing too much or hitting gloves. If GGG walks through a clean shot comes forwards and hits air and gloves he isn’t winning the round.

On a round by round basis Canelo won most of the first 6 making GGG look very 1 dimensional. After that he probably knicked a few rounds on being more accurate.

Fans might prefer the more aggressive front footed fighter, it doesn’t make it a robbery.

GGG won 4 of the first 6 rounds. 3 of the first 6 if you want to be generous to Canelo.

And Canelo showed no effective aggression. He spent much of the fight in the back foot and was gassed by the midway point. So I’m not sure what effective aggression you were watching.

GGG walked him down, forced the fight and won quite handily. That’s probably why the predominantly Mexican fan base booed Canelo. And probably why pretty much every single member of the boxing family seems to believe GGG won handily.

You’re one of the very few who believe the draw/Canelo win was a better decision. And quite frankly that’s the kind of decision that’s killing boxing. Canelo was rewarded rounds off the back of making Golovkin miss rather than actually making him pay.

Although it was predictable. There’s a lot of money to be made in a rematch.

I see the rematch panning out exactly the same, but without the dodgy judge.

1 Like

Didn’t see the fight but half the internet is in absolute meltdown over the decision.

Some are saying the judge was paid off as Canelo is meant to be the future/theres money in a rematch.

I don’t think so.

She’s got a history of strange scorecards in both Boxing & MMA. She’s just incompetent.

Scary thing is, she apparently trains new judges also.

“I’m not going to put her right back in,” Bob Bennett, the Nevada Athletic Commission executive director, said, via the Los Angeles Times.

“She’ll still be in the business … but she needs to catch her breath.”

Byrd has a history of controversial scoring and the GGG-Canelo bout may have been the last straw.

“Like in any profession, you have a bad night,” Bennett said.

“Unfortunately, she didn’t do well. I can tell you she conducts training for us, takes judges under her wing … but her score was too wide.”

Her history of shady decisions is just her corrupt nature. There’s no way anybody who watched that fight could have given Canelo 10 rounds. He didn’t even win the fight, let alone win 10 rounds. She needs to be dismissed for the consistency in which she produces bad scores.

2 Likes

Watched the fight. She is on drugs to score like that.

How did you score it?

Conor MacGregor, Rio Ferdinand, who next? Susan Boyle?!

i.e I see there is money on freak fights, so I want a piece.

Mehh. Conor really doesn’t belong in such list. There have been multiple fighters who crossed over in kickboxing/MMA/boxing. Andy Souwer and Albert Kraus come to mind (dutch fighters). Never this high profile though.

Freddie Flintoff?!

2 Likes

Alan Sugar v Piers Morgan

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

To the sport of boxing – I love you. You’ve been by my side since I was 10-years-old. You’ve taught me so much. You’ve humbled me. You’ve promoted me. I’ve sacrificed a lot for you, but you’ve given me more than I ever thought possible. You gave me a platform, made me a champion and helped me provide for my family. I am forever grateful to you. You and I will always be synonymous, connected at the hip. Thank you for all the wonderful people I’ve come in contact with because of you. I’ve made friends for life. As I walk away from the sport of boxing today, I leave at the top of your glorious mountain, which was always my vision and my dream. I did it. We did it.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone who has played a part in my journey. You know who you are. I could not have done this without you. I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there. If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting. Above all, I give God the Glory, for allowing me to do what I’ve done, for as long as I have.

Andre “S.O.G” Ward

Fair enough, going out on a high as probably the best p4p.

A bit of a shame as I would have liked to have seen him and Stevenson go at it.

However he is smart to go out with his health intact, money made and enjoy his free time.

You say this as if boxers aren’t always fucking retiring and then fighting again later :stuck_out_tongue: