The Academy Awards (Oscars)

Nope, going Monday. Can’t wait.

This year’s nominees.

Has anyone seen Roma?

Last I seen they were 5th in Serie A

3 Likes

Detainment looks like it’s been made in bad taste

3 Likes

Agree. Totally prefabrication according to the man who lead the investigation. Really not fair for the Bulger family to have to endure this IMO.

2 Likes

Seen 0 of the films listed. Feels pretty good.

Not even the German one, even though it’s by the director of ‘The Lives of Others’.

Seen The Favourite, Black Klansman and Bohemian Rhapsody.

The Favourite actually is the favourite, spooky :eyes: It will win stuff, good period romp that has lots of standout features that tick the right boxes, basically an all female cast, the English sending up our own class system, perceptive mood music etc

Bohemian Rhapsody I probably enjoyed the most because I’m a Queen fan but the critics are right: it’s overly engineered by two of the band to be a clean cut biopic of the band and not the frontman

As if Black Panther got 7 nominations lol

Yes
A good film with a great cast just hated the abrupt end

Shambles lol.

I don’t do Awards shows. Load of old backslapping bollocks, really.

1 Like

Bit hard to get on board with the #metoo, liberal smugness you often get at the Oscars when fuckers like Meryl Streep (and many others, not to single her out) stand up and applaud that fucking rapist nonce Polanski

5 Likes

Agree, also I’m torn a bit because they are clearly influencing people since they’re famous so they have some reach to do good no doubt, but on the other hand they literally pretend to be people for fun, their political understanding is usually that of a tomato, most of them hang out in the same niched upper class peer groups pretty disconnected from the rest of the world and then it is just silly to watch them cry for Syria because their PR agent says it’s in right now or w/e, and in the next breath they demand 3 brands of fizzy water on their table by 2 o clock to properly continue to be able topretend to be poeple for fun, or they’ll throw a prop at some assistant.

Whenever I see any of them “being the face” of some help organisation flashing images of them stating the seriousness of the situation in Africa to some background classical music flashing images of some kid with flies on their eyeball all I think is fuck it your Oscars dress/suit cost more than that entire village in the background love. But I guess a few of them actually do something. I think I read somewhere that Clooney for one actually gives a fk but what do I know.

3 Likes

It’s outrageous, if you think about it. Nothing really is sacrosanct anymore. A family’s grief has been manipulated for prestige or, worse still, for the controversy it would incite in order to bring the prestige.

Tbf, biographical films have lost their way a bit anyway. They peaked with Schindlers List and now they’re full of dramatised filler.

1 Like

Can I be controversial about the #metoo movement?

Whilst I have the greatest of sympathy for the young actresses (and actors) whose careers have been significantly damaged by the actions of vile directors/producers (Rose McGowan is a name that immediately springs to mind as someone deeply affected by this)- I tend to feel less sorry for those who have made a career and then decided to speak out.

Obviously, it’s not happened to me, so I don’t know how the brain works after such an ordeal. However, something about the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman and Angelina Jolie speaking up now seems like they have something to gain from it. Not a publicity stunt, but it seems more reactive rather than proactive.

That’s the only “snag” I have with what is a movement that’s long overdue and that more male directors/producers/actors ought to get behind. The cynic in me says the real reason the well known males in Hollywood aren’t getting behind it is because they, too, have something to hide. Makes me wonder just how horrific some of the crimes against women have been in the film industry since before they had a platform to speak up :pensive:

Really want to see Detainment.

4 Oscars for Parasite, 3 for 1917, 2 for Once upon a time… in hollywood.
The Irishman completely snubbed: 10 nominations, 0 wins.

Brad Pitt finally got his oscar :love_you_gesture:

Best Picture
“Parasite”

Director
Bong Joon Ho, “Parasite”

Actor
Joaquin Phoenix, “Joker”

Actress
Renée Zellweger, “Judy”

Supporting Actor
Brad Pitt, “Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood”

Supporting Actress
Laura Dern, “Marriage Story”

Original Screenplay
“Parasite”

Adapted Screenplay
“Jojo Rabbit”

International Feature
“Parasite” (South Korea)

Animated Feature
“Toy Story 4”

Sound Editing
“Ford v Ferrari”

Visual Effects
“1917”

Film Editing
“Ford v Ferrari”

Original Score
“Joker”

Original Song
“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from “Rocketman”

Production Design
“Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood”

Cinematography
“1917”

Costume Design
“Little Women”

Makeup and Hairstyling
“Bombshell”

Sound Mixing
“1917”

3 Likes

Good, didn’t deserve all the nominations, let alone a win.

You say that like he has deserved one. This isn’t up there with Leo missing out every year. Brad Pitt is a pretty average actor :grimacing:

2 Likes