Sutton United vs Arsenal (FA Cup)

When the option is for people he knows to earn or lose some money he’s being put in a bad spot by the company offering the bet and he won’t be doing the right thing either way. It may have also not helped an awful lot that a lot of attention was on him to begin with.

Fair enough the flak the lad gets but dont see how him making a few hundred quid gets all this moral outrage, but ST. Messi the multi millionare fiddles his taxes and nobody gives a fuck.
A bit of perspective wouldnt go a miss.

4 Likes

Its a man eating a fucking pasty/pie. No one in their right mind should even give a fuck.

Honestly this whole thing is an atrocious waste of time.

12 Likes

Sutton didn’t beat Arsenal in the greatest shock of all time and the game was somewhat routine and lacking in drama, therefore this story is filling in the gap for the papers. I think it’s all nonsense really, certainly that the guy has to resign over it

Don’t see how it has to tarnish the image of Sutton either, but of a drama queen comment from the Sutton manager there

3 Likes

I understand this line of thinking on a theoretical or philosophical level, but in reality I don’t really buy it. Eating a pie on the subs bench isn’t a normal thing to do. If he doesn’t eat a pie people are hardly going to accuse him of a gambling scam, because not eating a pie in the subs bench is obviously reasonable and totally expected.

Eating a pie however is completely outlandish and will attract criticism and investigations when you admit that you knew your shirt sponsor were offering odds on it.

I don’t think it should be a massive deal and I suspect the controversy will die quite quickly now hes resigned, but you (not you specifically PPB but “you” in the general sense) can’t be surprised or complain at what has subsequently happened when what he did could be verging on criminal activity.

It isn’t, but at the same time eating a pie isn’t football related, doesn’t matter if it’s on the subs bench or out on the streets. The outcome is bound to his own decision over which he can decide for himself and so the bet shouldn’t even exist to begin with, no matter if it’s his shirt sponsor or not. Of course you’re right that they should be looking into this, but at least I think the focus should be more on the betting company and not on him.

That’s honestly taking it a little too far, unless there’s some kind of collusion between him and someone in particular from inside the betting company. Otherwise if there’s no third party damaged I don’t see how it’s criminal activity with how the outcome of the bet was.

I don’t think a player eating a pie is going to tarnish the image of Sutton United.
But I would have thought having a 23 stone reserve GK on the subs bench isn’t going to enhance it either.

1 Like

Well it wouldn’t surprise me at all if there was collusion with someone within the gambling company, this only works for them from a PR angle if the sub keeper actually bloody eats a pie. Sun Bets sponsored them for one single match, and offered a completely out there bet that then actually happened. It’s not much of a stretch to think that the Sun betting wing planned the whole thing when right after the match they tweet about paying out a five figure sum on said bet. It could barely look more orchestrated.

Even if there was no collusion with Sun Bets I thought it could be at least “verging” on illegal for someone to give others insider information that they were going to act in a certain way to influence the outcome of a bet, because that is blatantly what he did. I won’t pretend to be much of a legal expert at all though…

Sutton UTD havent got an image to tarnish…absolute shit hole…Up The Tooting…
Hopefully the 50 grand we’ve donated will go towards making the standing areas steaper so people can actually see the pitch…
As for #piegate,
he ate what he sow(ed).
The pen is mightier than the pie.
He who eats wins.

1 Like

But that’s more of a publicity stunt in the end. I was more thinking about collusion in the way that he’d get anything substantial out of it while damaging a third party behind their back by doing so.

I think something that has to be kept in mind here is if there were any odds on him not doing it. I haven’t seen anyone really saying so, so given that the company took advantage from the PR and the customers got their money I’m not sure it should go further than that.

That’s not me saying that these kind of novelty bets are ok, as they clearly are extremely redundant and easily manipulated, but that the case should be over with him distancing himself from the club and the sponsor taking the responsibility while being warned for the future.

I guess you could say…Wayne Shaw…got pied off? :eyes:
@Oliver

1 Like

‘Piegate’ really sums up how dross the actual game was, when there’s been so much coverage over this whole thing, than what happened on the pitch instead :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And hardly a peep about the bottle thrown at Wenger…

1 Like

If I was told that a footballer called Wayne would be caught on camera scoffing a pasty (NOT A PIE!!!) then I would certainly have guessed at the wrong one.

It’s all a bit ridiculous really. The reaction to it has taken a bit of the shine off an otherwise nice occasion.

1 Like

Imk sooo fucking psyched about the Lincoln City game . My Great Grandad went to the game at lincoln in 1915 and swore their goal was offside and that we should have been awarded two penalties.
It was his dying wish that we wreak a terrible revenge for this blot on the record books and the hatred of the Lincoln Imps has been handed down to generations of Draytons along with his cloth cap and jockstrap !

3 Likes

Sat 11th at half 5 bit… 1 year 1 day after Martin passed, so a decent win and rememberence drink…could get very messy…
Martins bench at the Marsden…RIP.

6 Likes