Other Clubs' Transfers

I think it was more out of desperation.

Somewhat believe that could be true too.

Heard Sanchez from Bayern was availble for Ā£30-40m is this true? From what I saw at the Euroā€™s last year, I would take a gamble on him.

1 Like

Tend to agree, but I also think they underperformed last year and have some exciting young attacking talent - I imagine Rashford will make strides forward and their midfield and defense will be similar or improvedā€¦ I also think they probably arenā€™t done. Agree Lukaku is a drop from Zlatan of last yearā€¦ they could get similar points total, but I expect them to improve on that even if their football isnā€™t much better.

Iā€™m not having that, we finished above them and beat better teams than they beat in the Europa to win the FA Cup. Winning the reserves cup doesnā€™t elevate anything. Everton arenā€™t competing for top 4 after selling Lukaku.

2 Likes

Yeah points total over 38 games to me is best measure of total quality of the seasonā€™s performanceā€¦ having said that, they are in the CL and we are not and they got 2 trophies last year and we got noneā€¦ going into this year, Iā€™d rather be in their positionā€¦

Indeed. Three years ago they wouldnā€™t be, though. I agree with @arsenescoatmaker , we had the better season (or the less bad season). But yeah, would definitely trade positions with them for this season, which goes without saying.

We didnā€™t get a trophy last season nah?

2 Likes

Of course getting a trophy is fantastic, but the same one on a regular occurrence is not progress, neither is finishing out of the top 4.

2 Likes

FA Cup is the 2nd best possibly domestic trophy we can get.

Winning it regularly is progress, given our drought.

9 Likes

LOL oopsā€¦ yeah that is probably almost as impressive as Euro franklyā€¦ either way, I agree that we were the better team and had objectively the better season, but would trade with them now if we could.

We finished above them because they prioritised the Europa League to get in the CL.
I agree, the League Cup isnā€™t great, but there are posters on here that cling on to the Community Shield as a trophy when we win it.
As for Everton, they are showing a lot more ambition in the transfer market than we are, even if they have sold Lukaku.

1 Like

Europa League > FA Cup. All day. Every day.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a fair point, but I give us the benefit of the doubt on that score. I guess one other thing to consider is the injury tableā€¦ I do recall them having some really shambolic injury situations for a while thereā€¦ obviously we had our share, but I suppose one could look at comparing that as well.

1 Like

They have already spent big on improving the defence in the past, tbh. Hope they fail again.

1 Like

The F.A. Cup is the oldest competition in the world though.

The domestic cup gets massively overrated on that island.

I like the FA cup and all but in truth itā€™s papering over the cracks because we arenā€™t progressing in the league or Europe, in fact weā€™re regressing.

1 Like

And to think they are envious of the F.A. Cup abroad.

No change no progress. The whole of 16/17 is the best example. We didnā€™t get 5th because we had a terrible season. Our place is the same, other teams got by us. Hopefully Liverpool is not passed us on a structural base.

1 Like