Other Clubs' Transfers

If they won’t play ball, we can just do a madness and go all in for Girounaldo. :sanchez2:

https://twitter.com/Coral/status/875636102626910208

:neutral_face:

2 Likes

Like @arsenescoatmaker says this system does seem to solve a problem we have had for the longest time. I.e. us being caught less often on the counterattack.

What we need to manage imo is to become less easy to beat. That’s the key to a sustained title challenge. The last time we challenged for the title we lost our first game in December and lost only three games in the whole season. I hope 3-4-3 is something that can provide that.

We need three good attackers anyway, because we got no proper depth after Ozil and Sanchez. Chamberlain or Welbeck as wingers just don’t do it for me.

2 Likes

It’s not about accommodating Gabriel.

The first choice back three will be a combination of Mustafi, Kosc, Holding and Monreal.

I’m more than happy to sacrifice an attacking player to accommodate that back three.

4 at the back has been a massive liability for us for over a decade now, we’d lose games that we were dominating because of the way we set up with a back four. Regardless of when we had a fantastic attack.

It’s like @arsenescoatmaker said, our fullbacks and dm’s always get caught high up the pitch leaving our two CBs massively exposed at the back.

Plus our wingbacks still get to push up and help the attack. Bellerin/Ox and Kolasinac are very attacking wingbacks so that won’t be a problem either and it’s not like we were winning loads and scoring tonnes of goals with 3 in midfield and 3 in attack. Removing that 1 attacking player and replacing him with a CB that then allows for more freedom in our midfield to push forward makes more sense and has worked for us.

I’d be perfectly happy to start building a team around 3-4-3 and sticking to it because 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 hasn’t been successful for us enough.

6 Likes

It would especially be a blessing if Walcott’s minutes are continue to be cut down :slight_smile:.

Case in point the 09/10 season. We were scoring for fun that season, but because of the fact we were exposed on the counterattack the gap between us and Chelsea/Manchester United remained significant throughout the whole season.

1 Like

Donnarumma stabbing Milan in the back, Conte threatening to leave Chelsea and Ronaldo threatening to leave Real Madrid.

Today is a good day for football drama.

2 Likes

Conte really?

Huh Conte?!

No such luck.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/875649213975023618

@Bl1nk

I’d trust Di Marzio over Sky Sources any day tbh

4 Likes

‘Additionally, Conte is said to have asked for: 1) A direct line of communication to Roman Abramovich and the owner’s first line of command at the club, director Marina Granovskaia. 2) Power over the appointment of assistant coaches with the replacement of Steve Holland a priority. 3) Full control over Chelsea’s academy as a condition of becoming personally involved in the club’s youth ranks, including the freedom to introduce a new academy chief. 4) Improved financial terms.’

Fair do’s. I have no idea really who is reliable and who isn’t.

It doesn’t surprise me that he’s unhappy. Think they failed him last summer and they’re failing him again this summer.

2 Likes

I really think it’s far too soon to say what 343 is (and isn’t) for us right now because of such a small sample size. If you take the early spell of last season where we smashed Chelsea vs the spell at the end I’d say the team at the start was better.

With a back 4 we’ve had prolonged periods where we’ve looked like a good team and periods where we’ve had a good defensive record too, so it’s hardly impossible.

I don’t think you can blame formations for players lacking motivation, confidence or common sense. We’ve looked good and bad with all sorts of setups. We bottle it because we’re bottlers with a substandard coach and our players aren’t as good as they could be.

There will come a time where we play shit with a back 3/5. Wenger is never going to play a full season of conservative football. We’ll reach a time when there are holes, or teams work out how to exploit it and if we don’t invest in offensive talent

3 Likes

Opponents of a certain level or certain managers we’re always able to expose those fundamental weaknesses we had on a structural basis. Those stretches were against lesser teams and all that. For example it was somewhat of a surprise to a degree when we lost points against both Manchester City and Everton last season after we did reasonably good the 15 odd games before that. But you could see it coming from a mile away we were going to struggle against those teams, because of the those weaknesses in that system. This change is certainly worth a try for a whole season.

1 Like

Sky Sources aka the front pages in Portugal :joy:
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/875693329656238080

I’d buy him just so we’d be able to entice Mbappe to come play with his idol.

4 Likes

United? Just trying to think any other club that could afford him. Fergie had a word at the CL final

Much ado about nothing.

Sky happy to run with it to fleece people with betting, Ronaldo isn’t leaving Real because of tax bollocks. They won’t let him go and leaving the country isn’t exactly going to stop them from moving forward with any potential case.

If true I doubt it’s nothing more than a tantrum.

2 Likes