Summer 2016 Transfers Thread

They have still bought well so far though, albeit they still need someone at the back.

C´mon guys. Cut the “Wenger doesn’t sign new players” rant. Signing new players not always means improving the squad, Manchester clubs have been proving it for years now. None of the names that have come up for the ST backup will improve significantly the squad (not Lacazette, nor Morata, nor Icardi,…). Burning the money on mediocre players as other EPL clubs are doing won’t make any difference.

You can definitely blame Wenger for not getting trophys, but throughout all these years he proved he knows how to spend the money and how to get the max out of most of the players he brings in (he had his mistakes as well, no doubt).

We need a backup for Giroud, considering that Wellbeck will be out for a long time, but if no great player is available (and clearly, there are none), we should not waste tons of money on players that don’t worth it.

3 Likes

Great players are rarely just easily available, you offer big money and thats generally how they become available… Its rare they just fall in your lap.

But not signing players, when it’s clear there is a clear lack of quality in certain positions, won’t improve the squad either.

The correlation between clubs that buy the best players, and the clubs that don’t, is absolutely clear.

That is why Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola etc have been so successful.

If there is a weakness in the team, change that player.

How can you defend having Giroud as our starting striker for so long, or Flamini playing so many games, or players like Almunia and Fabianski staring for us, or any number of constantly injured players that Wenger has stuck with but rarely played, or under performing players like Walcott and Chamberlain, who start so many games.

How long does this have to go on for?

Are you seriously happy that we are going into yet another season short of those quality players we need, and will have to watch the same dismal performances from the same underwhelming players that have clogged our team up for the last few seasons?

We are stale, and if we don’t strengthen Ozil and Sanchez will be off, and I suppose you will be happy with that too.

1 Like

Dunno what you have against Giroud, but he is a fine Striker.

Wenger was keen to strength the ST position when he tried to sign Suarez, and only a tricky move from Liverpool prevented us from getting him. He also asked Real Madrid about Benzema when many papers suggested than they may be willing to let him go.

Wenger is always alert on the what the market may offer (he attempted to trigger Vardy’s release clause but the player declined the move), but you guys just want signings no matter who we bring in. Lacazette, Morata or Icardi are no World Class strikers and the improvement we may achieve with their signing is just minuscule (at a huge price).

Same case has happened with the Centre Back. Teams like Manchester City or United have wasted embarrasing amounts of money on players that won’t have any impact on team performances (Mangala, Otamendi, Demichelis, Marcos Rojo, Blind, Jones). And that has happened in other countries as well (Barcelona payed 20M € on a 31 years old Jeremy Mathieu that wasn’t a CB at that time and that has played poorly for them, and let’s not talk about Vermaelen).

2 Likes

I thought that we wouldnt buy anyone prior to Gabriels fall and Im still not convinced we will buy now

Dunno what you have against Giroud, but he is a fine Striker.
I like him I think he’s OK but we will never win the league with him up front in the style we play !

Wenger was keen to strength the ST position when he tried to sign Suarez, and only a tricky move from Liverpool prevented us from getting him. He also asked Real Madrid about Benzema when many papers suggested than they may be willing to let him go.
No tricky moves at all ,Saurez didnt want to play for us ,he used us to try and get barca to bite

Wenger is always alert on the what the market may offer (he attempted to trigger Vardy’s release clause but the player declined the move), but you guys just want signings no matter who we bring in. Lacazette, Morata or Icardi are no World Class strikers and the improvement we may achieve with their signing is just minuscule (at a huge price). Well we will never know on that one because he wont sign them

Same case has happened with the Centre Back. Teams like Manchester City or United have wasted embarrasing amounts of money on players that won’t have any impact on team performances (Mangala, Otamendi, Demichelis, Marcos Rojo, Blind, Jones). And that has happened in other countries as well (Barcelona payed 20M € on a 31 years old Jeremy Mathieu that wasn’t a CB at that time and that has played poorly for them, and let’s not talk about Vermaelen).
Love the BFG but he is way way past his best , we needed to replace him but we havent and now Gabriel is down askin g prices will increase ,but I doubt if he will spend spend top dollar.
Any player is a risk but you have to take them now and then ! Arsenals priority is the price b4 ability thats even more risky
[/quote]

1 Like

We’re after Insigne apparently…

Would be robbery if someone was to sign him for 10m!

The players don’t have to be that much better, just different.

As I said, this team has gone stale.
The same old players, getting the same injuries, with the same average performances, while Wenger keeps repeating the same old mistakes,.

We have bought just two first team players since Sanchez came here, and one of those was a GK, and spent around 45m, which works out at an average of about 23m a season on players.
Mid table and bottom of the PL clubs are spending more than that.

Do you seriously believe Ozil and Sanchez will stay here if this lack of transfer activity continues?

2 Likes

Bony scored more goals than any other player in the Premier League in 2014. Had Arsenal bought him when City did, you’d have been wanking all over yourself. If he goes somewhere else now and gets regular playing time, he could round back into that sort of form.

As for the chavs, you lot keep telling me that all the big money clubs get every player they want when clearly they don’t.

I’ve never seen that posted on here.
What I have see people say, is that when clubs like Chelsea need a position filling, they fill it.
They don’t wait around of several seasons with gaping holes in their squad.

1 Like

Sorry, Moondoggie, I, along with practically anyone else on this forum, would like something better than “pretty good”. Bony sort of smacks of “any port in a storm” to me.

And as for the chavs, I really don’t give a flying fuck.
Bony scored more goals than any other player in the Premier League in 2014. Had Arsenal bought him when City did, you’d have been wanking all over yourself. If he goes somewhere else now and gets regular playing time, he could round back into that sort of form.

As for the chavs, you lot keep telling me that all the big money clubs get every player they want when clearly they don’t.

Can you point me to where I said that? When you free up your wrist, that is.

1 Like

Il say one thing which I know to be true , if we dont add depth to the squad this year it will cost you 20 to 30 percent more next year !
Prices are NOT coming down , OZil must be worth 60 plus sanchex 50 plus !

With all this market madness, the goal shall be not to be the biggest spender but the smartest. Talent is expensive only if you discover it after others did. Arsenal and Wenger proved to be one of the smartest during all these past years by spending little (net expense) and still assembling very competitive squads.

You can be smart be recruiting early talent and breeding it or you can be dumb and buy it after you let it go before (Paul Pogba and Nemanja Matic say hello).

English clubs have been investing big on their youth systems, however no Big Club has taken advantage of it as Arsenal has done. That’s something you should praise Arsène (and the rest of the management) for and that you will quickly miss once he’s gone and replaced by someone like Mourinho, Van Gaal or Hiddink.

English clubs have been investing big on their youth systems, however no Big Club has taken advantage of it as Arsenal has done. That’s something you should praise Arsène (and the rest of the management) for and that you will quickly miss once he’s gone and replaced by someone like Mourinho, Van Gaal or Hiddink.

We have produced Kieren Gibbs and Jack Wilshere in the last few years ,that not much of a return . Still to early to Judge Iwobi Akpom but our youth system under Wenger is nothing to be proud of !

Ox ,walcott,gnabery,coquelin,bellerin,fabregas were all poached from other peoples youth systems !

1 Like

Who have we brought through in the last few seasons?
No more than any other club, I would think.

It’s fine to bring young players through or bring in cheap players that turn into world class players, but we rarely do either.

It’s even more annoying when we have so much money to spend but continue to persist with the same players every season that aren’t good enough.

I don’t care if poached from other clubs or bred by us. I’m not trying to start a moral debate.

Two years ago we promoted Coquelin and Bellerin from the youth system (Gnabry got minutes as well). Last season was Iwobi who got his chances and proved well.

Let’s be honest if Fabregas was originally poached by Chelsea or ManCity he would have never made it to the first team.

I challenge you to name those players that went through the youth system of Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool or Manchester United and made it to the first team (only one I can recall is Sterling for Liverpool and those promoted by Van Gaal whose future don’t seem bright under Mourinho’s).

1 Like

They are not gonna sell him as well.

Lol…not this again.