Summarise Arsène Wenger as manager since 2006

AVB played some very high lines, which saw us thrash them in the league and John Terry was regularly humiliated as he was too slow for those high lines. Ancelotti played attacking football. Di Mateo set them up to sit deep and counter attack. It was the only way they were going to beat superior team like Barce and Bayern.

Either way I wouldn’t want to be a club like Chelsea giving no time to the manager. It’s a club with no soul. Anyway as good a place for this as anywhere

1 Like

United hadnt won the league since 1967 and it had become a huge weight on the shoulders of all united managers.
Robson, whiteside and Paul Macgrath had huge drink problems effecting their form. Two of them were moved on and had to be replaced.
Having a top class back 5 and squad with european, League, League cup and FA cup winning experience was a far better prospect imo.
The huge media circus that was/is Manchester united especially at that time is a bigger pressure. Also factor in 2 merseyside clubs dominating the game it was a pressure cooker of a job.

1 Like

You can pick at the phrasing I used, perhaps I should have worded it more carefully. All I was intending to say is that he was the manager when they won the Champions League. So to answer you, no I don’t think he was responsible for it happening at all.

I still think my point stands. There are examples of managers achieving tangible success and then being fired, which was the point I was making in response to the idea that we couldn’t have sacked Wenger after he managed our team when we finished second.

3 Likes

It wasn’t like Monaco were smalltimers either. Won the League in '82 and had two other top three finishes before he joined them.

1 Like

sorry mate, genuine misunderstanding. wasnt picking.

No need to apologise, even if you were being picky. Sometimes being picky is justified.

I have to tell myself that because I’m a pedantic cunt.

1 Like

No but it becomes far harder when Marseille became the biggest spending team in world football.

Marseille were 6th in 87/88. I’d say that was fairly early in the takeover from Tapie and Marseille was in the midst of an transition.

Shit

When we moved to the Emirates Wenger, along with Ferguson and Mourinho, were the best managers in the PL.
Mourinho was successful, but he didn’t build teams or bring players through from the youth team, they were teams that he bought for an incredible amount of money, and he is still doing the same at Man U.
So, for me, Wenger and Ferguson were the top two in the PL.

There were a few seasons after 2006 where we could have won the PL title but his stubbornness, along with the boards inability to back him financially, meant that those seasons were wasted.

Up until two or three seasons ago, Wenger was still competing for a top four place, but since the arrival of new managers to the PL like Klopp, Guardiola, Pochettino, Conte and even Koeman, Wenger’s standing has slipped, and these managers have overtaken him.

So with Mourinho taking over Man U it means all the other top six clubs have arguably better managers, with new ideas and as willingness to change when necessary which is something Wenger seems reluctant to do.

This is why I don’t think he will sign a new contract, simply because he is on a downward curve and all the other managers are heading in the opposite direction.

It’s a shame, because up until a few seasons ago I really thought he would change and turn it round.
If he did stay, not only would it mean he would not be able to keep our best players, we could fall even further behind all our rivals, and it would be even harder to reverse the damage he has done.

1 Like

Under achiever. He did what he did because there was very little competition around at the time. Look at him now he’s got competition. Useless.

Who would have thought we would live to see our great club with all its tradition and glory become a laughing stock?

That man Wenger is a joke ,but the club is a bigger joke for sticking with him.
He respects nothing but money. If he was honourable and cared for the club he would have walked before now.

Greedy, useless wanker.

And breathe.

2 Likes

Been a fan since 2006/07, so, Wenger’s done great up until recent times, I’m grateful for all the great players developed/signed and good football. This season since February and Leicester winning the title major disappointments. It’s best he goes out with a bang with the FA Cup.

1 Like

Unlucky you missed the glorious 98-2006 period.

1 Like

Not everyone was old enough to experience it.

MILF-o

Manager I’d love to fuck off.

That Chelsea team should have never won that CL title. The luck they had was nothing short of ridiculous. First Barcelona, tons of chances missed, Chavs get one chance and score. Fair play, but on any other day Chavs would have been sent home with 5-0. Then the final, same story. Bayern were all over them. Hitting woodwork and generally unlucky. Chavs again stumble and bumble their way to the win. It was to me one of the most undeserved CL winners in the history of that completion.

2 Likes

If your opponents don’t score and you do there’s no luck involved. Chelsea simply won because they scored more goals than Barcelona on the day.

Besides you could easily argue they’d been robbed blind only a few years earlier with the multitude of penalty shouts and bad refereeing decisions the referee made in favour of Barcelona.

So if anything it’s a case of what goes around…

1 Like

When teams hit the woodwork against you a total of 7 times in the semi finals/ final I have to say a lot of luck is involved.

2 Likes

Or maybe they just didn’t hit the target? How about that?

1 Like

Its a matter of an inch though which has a huge element of luck.

2 Likes