Summarise Arsène Wenger as manager since 2006

At the risk of taking this off topic, Ferguson and Mourinhio made their names at smaller clubs winning domestic and european success. This in turn brought them to the attention of bigger clubs who,s primary asset will always be money.
In Fergusons case he has produced and promoted a lot of good players and teams in that time.

Well, that’s always been true to an extent. You can’t compare ten mil transfers which have been run of the mill for about 15 years now to a 35m+ transfer of which there has only been about 40-50 ever that were more.

This was true when he first went to Man U but after that he rarely produced any players that turned out top quality.
When Wenger and Ferguson were battling it out every season for the top two places, Ferguson was outspending every other club in the PL by more than double.
Just like Mourinho, he was buying squad players for what most clubs would be their record signing.

The main difference between Wenger and Ferguson is that when they won the league Man U would go out and buy even more world class players, but Wenger used to keep with what he had rather than strengthening significantly.

Ferguson was a horrible person but he knew what it took to win, and he did it, even if it meant being underhand about it, and that goes for Mourinho too.

When Wenger first came here he had new ideas and a will to win, he also bought players with the same attitude, but since the Invincibles that has gradually changed and complacency took over.

No your not doing him a service here. The team he produced at Aberdeen was an excellent football team and proved his credentials.
In scotland he was in the pauper position and had to find away of beating the 2 big spenders.
Main forte of Ferguson and which makes him the best of any era is knowing when to sell players no matter how big they are.
Yes he paid top dollar at times but as long as you get your rewards on the pitch thats acceptable to me.
Still gave room and chances to lesser lights like O shea, Evans and Welbecks to the end.

3 Likes

I think it is in a world where West Ham can bid 30m for players and Watford can turn down 35m for Deeney and Leicester can spend 30m on Slimini.

The only reason Perez cost us 16m was because of his release clause and tbf the only reason Giroud cost 12m was due to his release clause too.

His achievements at Aberdeen were impressive but there was more of a level playing field back then because it wasn’t all about money. Dundee United also won the Scottish League when he was manager. Back then Ipswich, Derby, Notts Forrest and Villa all won European trophies. IFK Göteborg pulled off a UEFA Cup. The football landscape was massively different.

Obviously a top manager but some context is needed.

In turn Wenger beating the most expensive team in Europe at the time in Marseille to the title is mighty impressive.

1 Like

But that surely just means Ferguson just transcends both sides of the game successfully.
I dont anybody else has really ever done that before.

1 Like

I would agree that Ferguson was a very successful manager but in his first five seasons he won nothing and it was the FA Cup win that kept him his job.

When Wenger came in at Arsenal he won the PL and FA Cup double twice in his first five seasons, and was also never out of the top two and transformed the way, not only how we did things, but influenced other managers as well.

Personally I think Wenger could have done what Ferguson did at Man U but there is no way Ferguson could have done what Wenger did with us and certainly not with such a limited budget.

1 Like

Definitely and he is a winner through and through. Although people forget there were United fans called for his head before he first won them a title, which took about 7 years and some many thought he was past it during Arsenal/Chelsea’s league wins. With the money United continually invested in the 80s, 90s and 00s and the amount of times they broke the British transfer record success seemed inevitable. They could spend 30m on a centre back in 2003, a fee we didn’t spend on any player until 2013, a decade later.

Some of the criticism for their current decline also has to rest on his shoulders after he left a squad full of good old players and average young players.

2 Likes

I disagree with that as I think its proven he worked without money in Scotland.
Wenger inherited a better squad than Ferguson at United too imo.
Just to Stress though im not under playing Wengers success here.

2 Likes

Do you truely believe Di Matteo won them a champions league title?

Or rather, that they wouln’t have won it without him?

I don’t believe they would have won it that season had AVB continued managing.

1 Like

You’re talking shit more than anything.

Dictator.

that isnt the same thing at all.

But a nice-ish one. More of a Khrushchev than a Stalin.

I just called wenger sexy af and a gilf. Nothing gets past you does it??

I’m not sure he did, Fergie inherited a squad that had won the FA Cup and finished 4th/3rd for several years and had players like Bryan Robson, Strachan, Whiteside and Hughes.

Wenger injerited a squad who had finished 5th and 12th in the prior seasons albeit going to a CWC final. Ofcourse he inheritaed the famous back 5 and Bergkamp but Platt, Merson were past their best and Wright was too really. In 2 seasons the team was transformed with Vieira, Petit, Overmars, Anelka

Both managers inherited squads with a strong drinking culture/problem

1 Like

He did though. Obviously the team wasn’t one he built but he set them up and they won it.

Jake said he won them that title, and i just want to understand what he did to win it.

You say he set the team up, but my understanding is that the lineup picked itself and they played the exact same football as they did prior to his appointment.

Sometimes you hear ‘you cant expect a manager to have an impact in X amount of months’. So im not sure what to think here.