Skhodran Mustafi

Standard. He immediately got used to Arsenal :wenger:

fucking internationals why are they playing him a new transfer in a friendly ffs

4 Likes

Did he go off?

5 Likes

Heā€™s fine. Now joined by Ozil.

1 Like

Fucking hell! I was scared as shit! But heā€™s still on the pitch and looks ok. Only a bad knock I hope.

1 Like

I was ready to sign the war intent to start a war against Finland.

4 Likes

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Poropartio.jpg

2 Likes

Heā€™s fine though so I guess itā€™sā€¦

http://www.americanthinker.com/images/bucket/2015-08/195132_5_.jpg

1 Like

Yeah, this guy fucked up big time :poldi:

Yeah that is what I saidā€¦ the point I made is that results speak louder after 10 years. You can no longer point at edge cases over and overā€¦ at some point it isnā€™t good enough, especially when you are carrying cash balances so out of whack with the rest of the teams we are competing withā€¦

You have no idea how business works if you think it isnā€™t about aggressive spending. yes they did aggressively spend - that is why they got funding and then went public in the first place FFS. And after that, carry debt even though they have massive cash flow and cash balances (esp. in the case of Apple) and even then Apple is oft criticized for not spending the money - the whole damn point of companies is to have higher ROI than you can get through traditional cash investing, otherwise WTF is the gd point.

Even SwissRamble eloquently stated that Arsenal were risking hurting their brand and their overall potential valuation through underachieving.

Seriously, if you arenā€™t investing to maximize results, you are inviting criticism, it is as simple as that. That is true for pure sporting reasons and fandom as well as in the corporate world.

4 Likes

Injured allready ? Only Arsenal can do this ! We are cursed call the witch Doctor .
The Germans should have replaced him immy , its a fcking friendly !
Still Wilsheres gone so they need work for the treatment table in the Diaby Room !

He isnā€™t injured. He played the full 90min.

He got a big kick on the ankle and then got up and played the rest of the game which I found surprising considering how he went down !

Maybe he has that English grit weā€™ve been searching for

2 Likes

Nah. You donā€™t. You run a company responsibly. Thatā€™s how you do it. Pointing out the one in a thousand example where it works is poor arguing. And you start off by saying aggressively spending and end up with investing. Those are two different things, Aggressively spending has a decent success rate when youā€™re on top, to keep you there, which is why that is exactly what clubs like Real Madrid does. Investing is what is responsible, something that with a good idea gets you to the top if youā€™re persistent, which is what clubs that are not Real Madrid does. Like us. And correctly so. If aggressively spending was a sureway to suceess everyone and thier mom would be doing it, it is called aggressive because there is risk associated with it, otherwise it would be calledā€¦ investing.

We can spend what we make as long as Kroenke doesnā€™t Mansour us up a bit. Which would be nice. But complaining that we donā€™t spend like an Oil club when we donā€™t get any Oil money from daddy is just dumb. Simple as.

1 Like

You are parsing words - we donā€™t even spend the money we have. Almost all companies competing in a serious way are spending what they haveā€¦ again, that is the whole point of a company. You seriously have no concept of ROI and opportunity cost. Saying ā€œno, it is about spending responsiblyā€ doesnā€™t actually mean anything. You are implying being aggressive = being irresponsible. And since you used the word ā€œinvestingā€ - using the money you have towards achieving ROI - which we ARE NOT DOING WHEN WE HAVE 200 MILLION IN THE BANK.

The notion of risk in investment takes into account both sides (i.e, convervatism vs. aggression). And some of the worst risk in business is sitting on cash (same with individuals). Obviously you need some to handle operational costs and some amount of risk absorption, but no one in their right mind believes we are doing this - everyone understands we have more money than we need.

Again, I go back to SwissRamble, who made the very argument that if you are trying to protect and grow your investment, footballing success/failure is crucial to this and that given how close we have been so many times, it is hard to argue we are being smart on this front. And that is a pure financial argument.

And your last sentence is ridiculous and straw man and you know it. I never said nor has anyone else said we need to spend like an oil club. But when you have the most cash on hand of any club in the world, are the 7th biggest football club in the world, you really arenā€™t pushing as hard as you could for success. If you are arguing against that, then we simply disagree on that key point -

4 Likes

Unfortunately the club wonā€™t tell us how much reserve fund is enough; otherwise, we are just stacking up the money and this argument (to spend or not to spend, how much should we spend?) will keep going on and on.

@oompa

Spending money wonā€™t guarantee success but neither not spending/to be conservative.

See the results and influence after we purchased Ozil, Sanchez and Cech? See the difference in between games with them and without them? You know the answer. We just donā€™t have enough quality players (I donā€™t mean to spend 100m), and we donā€™t have enough quantify.

We were 10 points off the top last season, because we tied and lost some games that we were not supposed to. IF we had a better striker to rotate/compete with Giroud, to score a few more goals when Giroud was having his 10-game goal scoring drought period, the scenario could be different.

Only to buy a keeper for the whole season, was not acceptable for a club like Arsenal. Talk about being responsible, Wenger was not. A 27-year old Perez is not really a gem that took him and his whole scouting team that long to locate. Could we get him last season? Absolutely we could. Just 25m, we could spend that money anytime, but we did not. Wenger chose not to upgrade, not to reinforce, not to strengthen.
He risked the team results by his own judgment, and he failed.

1 Like

The AST calculated from the financials that are available to the public that our transfer budget for this window was Ā£96m or something like that? Do you know how much we spent this window?

Agree with everything bar possibly the very last part. I do not think for a second that buying players is like seven eleven and you just bring them to the counter. Plenty of the players we have signed we have scouted for months or have had a dialogue with for up to a year. I have always been a loud proponent for us buying better strikers. For years. Iā€™m just not convinced that we havenā€™t because ā€œWenger doesnā€™t want toā€. I think the reason we signed Ɩzil, Sanchez, Cech and the likes is because we refuse to buy players that we assume would be average, we want better. So if we canā€™t get good strikers we donā€™t get any, and I believe that is the scenario.

We bid for Suarez, say what you want about how the event but the point for this argument is that we clearly understand we needed a quality striker. Iā€™m sure weā€™ve had dialogues with all kinds of clubs on players like Benzema and Lewa and other proven strikers, as well as players like Lacazette and so forth. Why we donā€™t get them I donā€™t know but I donā€™t believe for a second that it is because we donā€™t want them or want to save the cash or w/e.

Could we have gotten Lucas Perez last year? Yeah probably, after a season where he scored 6 goals. Maybe we didnā€™t get him then because he wasnā€™t good then? Or at least hadnā€™t showed it to anoyone, scouts or fans? 99% of the people here didnā€™t even know he existed two weeks ago.