Serge Gnabry

Er, no.

Not at all, one of Ox’s biggest limitations is he struggles to associate with his teammates in the final third, from what we’ve seen of Gnabry so far in his small spell in the team a few seasons back, youth level & Olympics, he’s definitely better in this regard. It’s why Iwobi earned a spot in the team so easily, he was able to come in the team and at the least combine and help sustain pressure and not often be the cause of attacking moves breaking down.

3 Likes

Ox is a proper athlete. He’s built like a brick shit house and puts in the hardwork in the gym. Gnabry on the otherhand is not and has been known to have weight issues.

Granted Ox has had a few niggling injuries but at least he is there or thereabouts in terms of fitness now. He’s much more experienced than Gnabry too. Gnabry is yet to do anything of note in top flight football at all. It’s not even a contest at this moment in time.

1 Like

I can accept a box to box midfielder not having a good final third ability… stats won’t show all they would do.
But as an attacking player, you need to have a good final third. Shooting/finishing, crossing, dribbling, assist, SOG, key passes… Ox’s final third is POOR.

Not saying Gnabry is really better than Ox, but Ox, who has a few more years of experience, is NOT better than Gnabry either.
Also Iwobi, how many good games under his belt that guaranteed his spot on this team, while Gnabry just had a very very good Olympics (at least it is not Emirates Cup or Charity Shield) recently.

I don’t see the logic and consistency behind.

I dont see the logic behind saying Gnabry is better than Ox when theres not a shred of evidence to prove otherwise. Its just all conjecture and opinion.

1 Like

If you watched Gnabry in the Olympics you’d see that he’s quite fit and explosive atm. Weight issues is speculation, he’s got a thick body shape, maybe even thicker than Ox’s. Perhaps it’s true about his not taking caring of himself off the pitch as much as he should, I doubt it because there’s no evidence to support it but I hope it is, because it would at least give me one logical reason for why we haven’t bet on him.

That said, who the fuck cares if Ox is built like a “brick shit house” and “puts hardwork in the gym” if he’s not a good footballer? Very English attitude, I have to say, to give the benefit of the doubt to a player simply because he looks like a “beast”.

Neither is Ox, lol. Though in Gnabry’s short run in the team in 13-14 he was more effective than Ox has been in any 6-7 game run with us, and that was at age 17-18. You’ve offered absolutely no basis for saying “it’s not even a contest at this moment in time”. As I said, if experience hasn’t meant anything fuck all for his production, it’s obviously not a check in his favour…

Gnabry is a better player, that’s obvious if you have followed them both. He has qualities and quality in general that Ox doesn’t have. Whether injuries or fitness or work ethic issues get in the way of him fulfilling his potential remains to be seen but needless to say I’d much prefer to be betting on Gnabry than Ox.

Yet you can’t give anything close to evidence to prove that Ox is better. Don’t go asking for evidence when you can’t give any yourself. All you can give is 5 seasons of ineffectiveness, which is actually evidence in Gnabry’s favour, because Gnabry was effective in his short chance in the team.

3 Likes

Ox has played more games, scored more goals, has provided more assists and has remained fit for a longer period than Gnabry. Those are facts.

That’ll happen when you’re 2 years older, have been given more chances, never sent out on loan, and have 152 apps to Gnabry’s 14 despite only scoring 15 in all of those apps.

Andros Townsend has also played more games, scored more goals, provided more assists, and remained fit for a longer period than Ox. So what?

@AbouCuellar

MM, I know Ox tracked back more than Podolski, but other than that, by looking at below’s stats… which part makes you feel like his is good enough, or evidently “better” than Gnabry?? Number of appearance? Goals? Assists?

Ox’s goal against Chelsea in the community shield was better than anything Gnabry has ever done in his career.

Ox is also infinitely more experienced, domestically and otherwise.

It’s folly to suggest either has more potential than the other because we just don’t know, and besides, what good is potential? We are still waiting on about 6 others to fulfil theirs (namely Iwobi, Ox And Theo), so what impact could Gnabry really have any time soon?

Flamini scored 2 goals against Spuds last year was even better, and he had more experience… So??

If that one goal in the CS is the best you can describe of Ox, that is very sad actually.

I wasn’t aware Flamini was a winger, or even part of the comparison / discussion?

Then how much value that one goal in the “yeah-the-big-deal-Charity-Shield” have?
At least Flamini got us 3 points and our “rival” got embarrassed.
You said that “one goal in Charity Shield” was better than anything of Gnabry’s career was simply bullshit.
For importance, Flam’s 2 goals meant much more than Ox’s goal in CS.
As a winger/wide player, Ox did not accomplish more and contributed more than Gnabry. He just played more games and that’s it.

people say anything to fit they angender. It’s like me sayin well kosh has scored more goals than gnabry so we did need him. it’s plain silly but whatever. this whole ox scapegoating has got out of hand by our fans it’s like group hystria couple irrationalism which makes no sense at all.

1 Like

He has been average for a long time and hasn’t really shown any sign of improvement. I’m not surprised that this provokes some criticism.

1 Like

I think the Ox and Theo hate is definitely magnified by having both of them. It’s literally exhausting to watch them battle it out week after week seeing who can be slightly less shit than the other.

Were we to have someone like Drax/Mahrez/Gotze on the wing we probably wouldn’t care one bit if we had Theo or Ox as backup. Unfortunately as it stand we do and our RW is possibly going to be a huge reason we don’t win any honours this season, unless young Iwobi turns it on.

Which is more likely than Theo or Ox deciding to suddenly stop being shit at football.

3 Likes

Yeah you are right about that.
Gnabry certainly showed more chemistry with teammates.

I am lost. AbouCuellar was comparing Gnabry and Ox, I was responding to the flow of that conversation.

Why do you keep mentioning Flamini? You are aware he is a) not an Arsenal player and b) not a winger, right?

Don’t think it’s too hard to follow man, he’s used Flamini as an example to show why your argument re: Ox in the CS was pointless.

2 Likes

I dont think Ox has really been good enough for Arsenal but contributing to two community Shields and an FA Cup, and knowing he has a performance like AC Milan away hidden in his locker puts him ahead of Gnabry in my books.

But hey ho. Flamini scored a banger against Tottenham so it’s all now null and void?

“Potential” is vastly overhyped, incredibly volatile and is not something I really wish to quibble over. If the concept of potential was in any way reliable, transfer strategies of already established/ high performing players wouldn’t be so pivotal to success, and our youth project would have conquered the world.