Serge Gnabry

This might be true but they are very average players regardless. You can’t really deny that Hleb and Rosicky were far better players than Walcott and Podolski.

I agree.

I did not watch much Hleb, but Rocky was a really good dribbler, Poldi was a shooter, Theo could excel when there was space and a good thru ball.
They are all different, and had different abilities.

Evenso. You can’t deny they were just better. Messi is a different forward than Sanchez. But he is still a better player, isn’t he? That’s was the problem we had with those guys upfront during 11-13. Too much averageness in the team.

Better “footballer” because of his overall abilities and contributions, yes.

But you really think the 12-13 team for example was good enough to win the League if Wenger would have used them currently?

Because I feel like you’re denying a serious gap in quality for that team and the 07/08 team (who I thought were the best team we had post-Invincibles).

Podolski was a weapon mate. A better manager would have gotten a lot more out of him.

A bit odd he didn’t find a better club then and is playing in that Turkish shit League :sweat_smile:.

“cheap buy-back clause”.

Wenger gonna Wenger. He just can’t change :wenger:

I never watched the 07/08 team so I can’t compare, but I did watch the prime Rosicky when he was at BVB.

By bellow’s chart, can we say the current team (2015/16) is much better than the 12/13 team?

He has already past his prime long before he joined us, long before he screwed up his ankle and lost his speed.

Like that pub player RVP?

I do. Because the 12/13 League performed to their level that season. They were not better than that. The 15/16 team massively, for what reason(s) I don’t know, underperformed imo.

But like I asked. You really think that team could have won it?

RvP actually performed for Arsenal/United before he went there. Podolski was always questioned at Bayern and Arsenal, the top level.

12/13 team had a number of new players as our key players.
15/16 team had the most stable roster and able to keep the core and key players together to play together for a few seasons, and yet, the goal scoring number and total points (especially last season) did not improve (much).

My answer is no, the 12/13 team could not win us the title right now, and neither the 15/16 team.
The only constant of these teams is Wenger. The football we played in the past few seasons was dire and toothless. We might have a hot streak and we could have a cold streak on the other hand. The team was just not playing consistent enough to post a real challenge.

After signing Mustafi and Perez, I am looking forward to the new season and see if we can have a breakthrough or just another top 4 trophy.

Should have flogged off Theo & Ox and said you will have a chance at some decent minutes and see if that helped him sign.

With players like Cech, Sanchez and Ozil the latter team had far more quality then the 12/13 team. Their ceiling was/is much higher imo. You could argue that that is were Wenger failed, but I feel like quality-wise, on paper, there is really no question that the 15/16 squad was the best we had in a long time. A squad you could have higher expectations (not title winning perse) of than the 12/13 team imo. Those expectations are not met however. But that’s a different discussion.

You are right, that’s my point.

We have far more better individual qualities now than 12/13, but our football is not better.
We are not playing more attractive, more effective, and we are not scoring more goals and getting more points.

That’s sad.

Rvp was EPL proven though, Podolski never stood a chance.

I literally can’t think of one occasion where we’ve put a buy back clause in a transfer, apart from a dubious “first option” in Fabregas.

I know you’re trying to say he’s being cheap, but it doesn’t really work if he’s never done something like that before. :wink: