Scum

May I remind they were 8 points clear of us with 4 games to go :joy: :joy: :joy:

8 Likes

Why isn’t there a YouTube compilation of that amazing Spurs feat.

Truth is spuds will be cheering the loudest after wenger leaves. They’ll have a good chance of finally overtaking us as daddy of London.

Other than Arsenal being stronger financially what separate us from them?

1 Like

1 fa cup and 2 league cups is all Spurs fans have seen in my lifetime, that’s a big difrence IMO

10 league titles.

Also a huge gulf in the size of each club’s global fanbase.

I’m not talking about the past i’m looking at the future. Our past honours mean nothing in terms of competing for trophies in the future.

The the size of the fan base factors in to the commercial aspect

EDIT

Better way to phase my question would be: Are Arsenal better placed than Spurs to be successful in the future?

But how ‘small’ are Spurs actually? Sure not as worldwide as us, but they aren’t building a 60000-seater for nothing.

No they wont.

Because Chelsea is it already.

:arteta:

1 Like

I’d say yes, substantially based on the financial difference between the clubs and their perceived stature in the world of football.

Per the recent Swiss Ramble post, our revenue last year was £351M. While we don’t yet know that of Spurs, their revenue the previous year was £196M. That is a massive gulf. While the new stadium will help them quite a bit, they’ll also be paying off the debt for a long time and they will continue to lag behind on commercial revenue, which is really the engine of revenue growth these days for top clubs, while also likely having their CL participation more intermittent than ours, and therefore lagging behind on broadcast revenue too.

Even without Wenger, I think Arsenal will retain the stature of being a “big club” that players from other countries know and respect in ways that Spurs simply do not. This will help with recruitment.

The only reason Spurs are competitive right now is that they had four roughly simultaneous successes that are unlikely to be repeated - stumbling on a WC striker in their own academy, buying Alli and Alderweireld for peanuts, and hiring a very good manager in Pochettino, largely by default. Levy and Co deserve some credit for those successes but there isn’t much reason to believe that they were the product of genius rather than luck. Getting a player like Kane out of your academy is essentially a random occurrence. Levy has an awful track record hiring managers and, had Moyes been given another year and the United job not opened up, by most accounts Spurs would have hired LVG rather than Pochettino. Alli and Alderweireld were good scouting but those players could have easily gone elsewhere, especially the latter, who left Southampton under somewhat shady circumstances. On balance, I don’t think there is really that much to fear from Spurs in terms of how their club is run. There is no reason to believe that they will suddenly become BvB or Atletico, consistently punching above their weight by scouting and recruiting better than everybody else. They had a few fortunate successes simultaneously in terms of player and manager recruitment, which has propelled them into contention, but regression to the mean is a bitch and likely coming in the future.

2 Likes

Yes we are, thanks to the shite we just went through with the stadium and staying in the CL light meanwhile. Look at the players we can now buy. Sure all kinds of things can happen but as we’re all theorising, yes we are better equipped. I mean honestly who the fuck cares about Spurs? Anywhere, really? They’ve achieved fuckall while playing fuckall football, they’re the type of club that can lose to an already relegated Newcastle side 5 to 1 in the last game of the season, absolute shite.

In the long run they don’t have squad depth to play in all comps and they don’t have the pulling power to attract top class acts but will always have to find hidden gems to compete which they’re bang average at at best.

Most importantly though, in the long run they will need to be in the top 4 in England to get CL but there are two Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal plus a Liverpool with Klopp working each year towards the same thing, and the first three can just push in more dosh like the cash game it is whenever they feel threatened. This issue with being a mainstay in the top 4 will be the biggest issue for them I would guess. But ofc that is just what it is, a guess.

4 Likes

Valid points.

But I don’t think a better financial position automatically means more success. Just look at post SAF United for example

1 Like

Yes, I absolutely agree with that. There are not guarantees, particularly when the league is so competitive. If our club is not run well, then they could easily have more success than us.

You’re doing them short a bit. They have consistently finished in the top 6 since the days of Martin Jol. Apart from the period with Juande Rames. A solid 10 years now. That wasn’t the case the 10/15 years before that. Found some solid players too during those years, Modric, Bale, Berbatov, Eriksen, the question is if the new stadium can propel them to the next level.

Another thing too, is how long might it be before Poch is poached? He’s well respected and must be drawing a few glances in his direction. If he does go elsewhere, are Tottenham that big a club to draw another top level manager? I’m not sure that they are.

That’s fair, especially regarding past recruitment successes. But for most of the last decade they’ve had revenue somewhere in the range of 4th-7th in the league, so they’re really just performing to expectations. I guess what I’m saying is that I see it likely they’ll continue to be in that category going forward - a club that sometimes gets into the Top 4 but more often does not and which would need all the stars to align perfectly to ever challenge for a league title.

Once Zidane inevitably gets shown the door, I think Pochettino will be very high on the list of successors at Real Madrid.

1 Like

Banned.

4 Likes

So essentially they are in the same position as us :wink:.

3 Likes