Santi Cazorla

When he’s fit he does the business and we’re a different team so it would be madness to let him leave just to save a little money.

One injury to him and we have no depth, so replacing him with someone better means if that guy gets injured then we’re back to no depth again.

Sign someone better and keep him is what every other big club would do and if we were to let him go for free I bet he’d end up somewhere like City and we’d instantly regret it.

6 Likes

I agree with you completely, but I was going on Arsenal logic and if we extend him we wont be trying to sign anyone of quality we will simply just be relying on Santi being fit.

1 Like

Santi is a class of player that we don’t have an abundance of. Injury prone or not, I can’t see why under the right planning, you couldn’t keep a player that influential as a top class squad player. Chelsea have Fabregas making a difference in a bit part role and City have Yaya Toure doing similar, we should be doing the same. These players can’t be relied upon week in week out but under good management they can be vital.

We should oust midfielders that no longer serve a purpose even when fit and sign a new first choice midfielder, possibly in Cazorla’s mould. That’s how to assemble a balanced and prepared squad. Wenger isn’t around for much longer so the whole “sell so it forces a signing” approach doesn’t hold as much weight any more.

Cazorla, Xhaka, Coquelin, Wilshere are the only current central options in the squad worth holding onto. One B2B to replace Ramsey and then there’s the choice of keeping Elneny or sending Xhaka and Coquelin to the bench for a new DM.

Cazorla and Wilshere playing less football obviously decreases their chances of getting injured and you can’t ask for much better squad players.

The stupid thing Wenger did was to rely on Cazorla to play week in week out despite all his achilles problems. Xhaka never looked like being suited to playing in Cazorla’s position unless there was an all-round box to box player in the Song or Kante mould alongside him.

1 Like

At least we have found a good replacement for Rosicky. He can barely play 10 games per season atm.

1 Like

A minimum of 10 weeks is what is being reported, Wenger said 6 weeks from when he starts running.

Season over?

Not a good sign at all, especially being 32 years old, this just leads to chronic issues (as if he doesn’t suffer from this already).

I’d love to keep Santi but this really should say something now and the club should be looking at attaining a promising talent from now on. Even if we kept Cazorla for another season, relying on him would be naive.

Let him see out his career in Spain like he wants to, I’m sure he’ll have offers even being in a crooked state, he deserves it.

1 Like

He is one of our best and most influential players but if Wenger persists with him, like he did with other crocks like Rosicky and Diaby, then he hasn’t learned anything.

At his age, and with such a serious, long term injury, he can’t be relied on, and we should look for a top quality replacement, because players like Xhaka and Elneny don’t look suited to play there, Ramsey isn’t good enough, and Wilshere is also a crock and out of favour with Wenger.

1 Like

In all seriousness we should shelve plans to offer him an extension and let him walk this summer, where he’ll easily get picked up by a decent club in Spain to play out his days.

I hate myself.

4 Likes

This is bad, I’ve never recovered from my achilles injury, which was never ruptured but at times I needed to crawl or be on crutches for weeks. I’ve never been able to go for jogs since. Hopefully he recovers…hopefully I do to :frowning: Although he obviously has better care, so hopefully we can see some of his magic again.

1 Like

You definitely should do, he’s still our best player

Arsene should start to find a solution on the market if Cazorla will be out until the end of the season.

Photo: Nacho Monreal & Santi Cazorla visiting the Novikov restaurant & bar in London last night. #afc pic.twitter.com/9otVaHZuXy

— afcstuff (@afcstuff) 12 februari 2017

Not even a trainer (I think you call it that on the island, no?) on his right leg.

1 Like

He is alive!

The protective boot has only one sense: out for the rest of the season.

1 Like

Cazorla’s lengthy absence could prove be Wenger’s biggest fault this season, a damning indictment of how poor we are at such a pivotal point of the season.

We’re mid way through February and we still don’t have a solution whilst Santi is awol, no working midfield to talk of. For a guy like Wenger, famously stockpiles reasonable to brilliant midfielders, has his teams built around those midfields and to then come to a point where we still have no consistent partnerships in there is truly surprising.

We haven’t had a team with a really good midfield or a stockpile of reasonable to brilliant midfielders since the mid 2000s. It’s incredible that we had a far better stockpile of midfielders in the early Emirates era (Cesc, Diaby, Gilberto Silva, Rosicky, Hleb) than we do now.

3 Likes

Nasri, Wilshere (when fit), Cathorla, Arteta for a season. They’ve all fit into a system of some sort is kind of the gist of where I’m going with this. We don’t have any consistent combinations now, largely because we relied heavily on Santi’s technical prowess. Agree though that early Emirates era was better than now though.

1 Like
2 Likes