Riyad Mahrez

Goal.com are bloody dire.

Clickbait personified.

2 Likes

would love Mahrez at Arsenal

1 Like

Same

1 Like

Ha, I would offer 30% of the fee we offered last year.

His year was concerning though, motivated or not; he really was trash.

to be fair to him he stuck around the season after they won the league knowing that they wouldn’t challenge again, so for that he deserves a move to a big club and even though he wasn’t as great this season he still showed a few glimpses of the season before

Would prefer Gnabry.

5 Likes

Who would have guessed it :poldi:

3 Likes

I’d take him in a heartbeat. Our midfield and even forward options are really lacking in technically gifted players, bar Cazorla, who can’t be relied upon anymore fitness wise, and Xhaka whose good in this respect but not great. He’s got a great eye for a ball but hasn’t the greatest touch and suffers when put under pressure. Coq and Neny obviously have different skillsets, and Ramsey is more of an auxiliary striker. If Alexis is off, he can slot in next to Ozil and we need a striker, if by some grace of the gods Alexis stays, he can move up to the striking role and we have Mahrez in next to Ozil. Sometimes. In other matches I imagine it would make more sense to have Welbeck upfront as an outlet, and we could have Mahrez on the bench, which would be excellent depth.

How much do they want for him?

If we’re keeping Ozil and Sanchez, then I’d love Mahrez as a depth option as it would show real intent to make one more go at competing for the league.

I’d hate Mahrez as a replacement for Ozil or, especially, Sanchez. He’d be a downgrade and wouldn’t make us good enough to compete for anything meaningful in the short run. But he wouldn’t be an ideal player to build around for the future either since he is already 26 and probably as good as he’ll ever be, lacking a truly world class ceiling.

If Wenger sells Sanchez and replaces him with Mahrez as his big transfer splash, it all adds up to finishing somewhere in the 5-7 spots while also having no real plan for the future.

2 Likes

A lot of the fans have said “we’ll take £40m” as if they get a say in transfer negotiations :grin: but to be fair, they’re probably not that far off in their evaluation. I reckon £35m would be enough, considering the player wants out.

Fuck Walcott off for 25, sign Mahrez for 35 and i’d be happy with that business.

5 Likes

x2

This is my argument with lots of players e.g

Wilshere out for £XXmillion - buy an upgrade for +£20 million+

repeat throughout the squad

Gibbs, Iwobi, Ramsey, Gabrial (bring back Chambers?)

Add £10 to £20 million to their sale price and get 2 x better player

Oh absolutely agree with you, I don’t even see how Mahrez qualifies as any sort of ‘replacement’ for Sanchez, they are such different types of player. With Ozil I can understand why they me categorised as a ‘of a type’, but Mahrez would be a very definite downgrade if he is meant to replace either of them. I definitely see him as adding a certain element to the squad in terms of skill on the wings/advanced positions which is currently there, rather than plugging in spaces left by departing players. The only way this could be marked s transfer progress is if we retain Alexis and Ozil as well, or if Alexis leaves, if we secure Mahrez and a top striker, but I’m not holding my breath.

Why would you sell Iwobi?!

Yeah he was the one on the list I didn’t agree with, Iwobi has talent and young so wanting us to Persist. If his finishing does not improving though he will just be another frustrating youngster that had potential.

coz he’s shit and you’d get a shed load of money for him, meaning if you added £20+ million to the money you get
you’d be able to buy a World class first choice, starting player that would actually make us a better team

that’s why

or are you one of these that thinks he’s going to turn into something special just like the Ox, Walcott, Wilshere and Ramsey have not?

1 Like

it’s 99% certain that’s what he’ll be, hence sell for over inflated money now before everyone works out he’s a show pony, then use the money to get someone really really good

I can’t tell if you’re underestimating how much world class players cost or overestimating how much we could get for Iwobi. Could be either one or both.

It all sounds a bit Football Manager-ish

2 Likes

If he is “shit” then who will pay a shed load of money for him? He isn’t “shit” by the way. Such a stupid thing to say.

It’s far too early to say how he’ll turn out. He showed some promise earlier on in the season. Out of the players we should be looking to offload, Iwobi is quite far down the list.