Riyad Mahrez

You act as if it’s not personal choice of who someone chooses to support and frankly your entire argument is childish and pedantic.

Are we discussing something or nothing?

Something. There is definitely a thing that is being discussed.

2 Likes

I don’t set the bar anywhere I just support my team it as simple as that

Arghh guys, don’t argue in transfer threads.
Have some mercy.

4 Likes

Its a results business. The board demand top 4, Wenger delivers each season. Wenger hasn’t failed in his objectives.

If the target was Prem and CL, then yes he has failed for over a decade. But realistically its not, no matter what PR bull we are fed.

How does it make no sense? It’s such a simple statement. The only way that us not already having signed a striker is excusable–I used Janssen simply as an example–is if we sign someone better. Nothing you’ve said has refuted that in the least. And you’ve also created a false dichotomy here. There’s no reason why we couldn’t spend money on someone like Janssen, or someone more ready than Asano, and then also sign a better striker like Lacazette.

Again, are you not seeing your strawmans? Who in their right mind said Janssen would come in and be world class? Your point in bringing up Jozy Altidore is about as prosaic a point as saying that if there’s a lot of clouds tomorrow, it might rain. It’s not a point at all.

Fact is we’re dealing with a pretty low bar here. It’s not hard to improve on Giroud or Alexis as striker options. It’s certainly not hard to improve on Alexis as a striker option, at least.

Again, it seems you really aren’t conscious of the way you keep shifting the goalposts to make your argument sound somewhat convincing (which it’s not). How is Janssen or a striker of his price a huge gamble? That’s like saying we took a huge gamble when signing Rob Holding (in terms of the prices for strikers and CBs respectively we’re talking similar levels of comparative outlay between a Janssen and a Holding), and now we can’t sign another CB because we’ve signed Holding. Again, false dichotomy. And I don’t know how you can “realize [I] haven’t counted out making that big striker signing”, because I have, that’s the point. Anyone who is realistic has. That would include Wenger, and if he is putting all his eggs in that basket he is being unrealistic, and thus not carrying out his job satisfactorily. “But at least he’s been trying”…are you really listening to yourself?

I’m sorry for some harsh language. You seem an intelligent poster whose posts in the past I’ve sometimes found convincing. But the stuff you are spouting right now is just so apologetic and leaking with massive holes that it’s pretty frustrating, it’s clear you’ll use whatever kind of fallacious devices needed to take up the opposite side of everyone else (who’s sensible).

3 Likes

I keep coming in here for Mahrez news and get disappointed each time… lol :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Just pretend it’s called “Why we won’t sign Riyad Mahrez” and it becomes a lot more enjoyable.

5 Likes

Walls and walls of text, very Brady in here.

None of that is what you said though. You said “waiting four years for a striker.” You didn’t specify that you meant Messi or somebody like that. You just said a striker. Welbeck is a striker. And you said “one first team player.” First team players aren’t limited to the starting XI (which, by the way, Elneny has been quite often). Both Xhaka and Elneny are first team players. Sorry that you haven’t gotten the fantasy team you want. That’s life.

1 Like

This is the part that has led to me to lose a lot of patience in Wenger. We’re not building a specific model anymore where only certain players fit. We’re not a ‘Barcelona-lite’ anymore. If anything, I find our build up play very very dull.

1 Like

I’m tired of going around in circles with you, so I’m just going to focus on this one statement to try once again to explain the flaw in your argument. Arsenal is not going to spend £17 million on a third or fourth string striker. Apparently you’re mixing Arsenal up with Manchester City. Be realistic. Arsenal is a club that operates on a budget. They have rich owners, but they don’t have an owner that throws millions of his own money at players. Sure, Arsenal could spend £17 million on Janssen (or anybody else that cost about that much) and then throw £50 million or more at that big name striker, but you know as well I do that that’s not going to happen. And it wouldn’t happen if Arsenal had another manager either. Arsenal isn’t that club.

If Wenger doesn’t succeed in bringing in Lacazette or some other big name to get the fan base wanking, there will still be options in the £17 million range out there at the deadline. If he fails to bring in either, then you have a right to complain. But to demand that he should have bought a £17 million striker two and a half months before the transfer deadline just in case he failed to get the £50 million striker absolutely makes no sense.

You see, £17 million strikers are a dime a dozen (figuratively speaking, of course). There are plenty from which to choose. So there’s really no hurry on that. Wenger’s focus should be on quality, not speed of transaction.

1 Like

But since the choice we’re discussing is settling for a £17 million striker or continuing to search out that top class striker, it hasn’t been four years. Danny Welbeck was bought two years ago. Now, I’d certainly settle for a healthy version of Danny Welbeck. But I’m not settling for an unproven commodity like Janssen. I’d rather keep trying to get somebody better right up until the deadline. If Arsenal has to settle for a £17 million guy at the deadline, then so be it. It might even be somebody more proven than Janssen. But you know as well as I do that Arsenal is not going to pay £17 million for a third or fourth string striker, so if they panicked in mid-July and bought Janssen or somebody like him that would have been it. The striker search would have been over. And none of you would have been happy about it (I know I wouldn’t have).

1 Like

To my AKB comrades, I do think being an Arsenal fan is easy, you are right about that.
It still irks me how unsupportive Arsenal fans have been since Emirates move.

But Only spending what we have since Cech, is not enough.

Log off & let people vent.

Right then, so all that and it’s because you apparently didn’t actually read what I said, or it didn’t register with you. No wonder you weren’t responding to my argument in the least.

For the fourth time (it’s not like you can blame me for not continuing to offer you what I said):

Which is absolutely consistent with the bolded. And the line after is just another strawman, having nothing to do with what I’ve actually said.

I’ll say what I used to say to Brady: consider genuinely thinking bit about your position, instead of just having a position and doing everything you can to convince yourself and others of it.

4 Likes

You’re right.

There is absolutely no excuse to not buy a striker and a central defender.

We should just pay £60m for Benzema, Griezmann or someone else and £25m for Mustafi.

Instead of waiting for the chain reaction, maybe we should start it for once.

Mahrez would be great, and in a perfect world we’d spend £125m on Mahrez, a striker and Mustafi, but I just can’t see it happening.

You should know that any posts in here will have nothing to do with Mahrez transfer news lol, you think there’s a chance we will sign him?

One could hope :’(

Where is Brady? Did he get banned or summat?