Riyad Mahrez

Absolutely brilliant way of putting it.

I’ll say for a 3rd time, I’m saying this in response to “what other fans would stand for…”

Most other fans would kill for what we have

1 Like

Because their expectation levels are lower and they don’t have the resources to compete with clubs like us.

I know a lot of West Ham and spurs supporters, and they are a lot more content with their own situation because they see their club’s doing the most they can with the resources they have.

They can’t understand why Wenger won’t spend on the players it’s obvious we need.

But I can tell you, they are more than happy for us to keep Wenger, because of his lack of ambition in the transfer market, and the fact with him they feel there is a lot more chance of them catching us while he is our manager.

Do you care if it takes three or four years though?

4 Likes

Well, your attempt at trying to bring some amount of perspective to things is commendable. Indeed, most fans would kill to be in our position, supporting a team that is always in Europe, is always finishing in the top 4, has some world class players, and won something major as recent as a year ago.

Having said that, most fans do not pay the prices our fans pay to watch us. Most fans don’t travel hundreds of kilometers every match day, spending in excess of 100 pounds, following us. Most clubs don’t have the fan base we have. Most clubs don’t have the money spinning ability our club does. Besides, you always aim to improve things in life, whether that be personal or professional life. You always strive to do better. You don’t always succeed and you don’t always try hard enough, but in general, you’re always looking to move ahead.

Leicester won the league last season. Should they not aim to replicate that success or should they look back at their humble history and just satisfy themselves with another season in the premier league? Will their fans not be disappointed if they were not to try and win the league again and by that I mean do everything in their power to achieve that target?

Just because you want more from your situation, doesn’t have to mean you don’t appreciate your situation. If you have the resources to improve your situation, yet you refuse to do what is needed, you have to expect a few bemused, confused looks. Now if that situation involves the emotional and financial investment of hundreds of thousands of people, the backlash is but obvious.

And let’s be fair, Arsenal fans have been patient for a very long time now.

4 Likes

Read Sunny’s post. :arrow_up: Again, again and then again. No ones ungrateful for what we have achieved. Good god some people are thick sometimes!

1 Like

That would make sense if every club had an equal amount of fans. But seeing as they don’t, and the big clubs who win things have millions and millions of fans across the world, it’s much more likely true to say that the majority of football fans will actually see their club win something.

That’s besides the point really. The point is that we support Arsenal Football Club, one of the great British football institutions. That’s why we expect more of our team than lots of other fans. Just like Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juve, Bayern fans have higher expectations of their teams than fans of other clubs.

1 Like

If I was born in south London I’d be a crystal palace or charlton fan, If I was born in Essex id be a Southend fan and support them just as passionately as I do Arsenal…

Technically you should be a West Ham fan no @JakeyBoy ?

we had less points than we had the last 3 seasons before. It’s really spinning it to see last season as improvement overall. It looks good on paper, no doubt, but we were dog shit for a lot of that campaign.

4 Likes

I grew up in East London rather than North, but my Grandfather and Dad were Arsenal fans (though my Great Grandfather was apparently a Spurs fan, the fucking scumbag) and I was taken to my first match at 4 or 5 years old. Season ticket from 7.

So I don’t really buy into the idea that I “technically” should support West Ham.

Firstly it is perfectly valid to support a team that has been in your family for two generations regardless of how close to the club’s stadium you live. Secondly, if as a child you are able to regularly watch a certain team play live that’s really fucking cool, and it’ll be better to pick that side as opposed to one you’ll never get to watch. Which would have been the case with West Ham.

What’s your point anyway?

5 Likes

Yeah I have a hard time quantifying the progress. Getting the same results despite improving the team a lot (Sanchez from Podolski, Ozil from Ramsey I guess, Cech from Szczesny with no significant player losses except possibly Sagna), I’m not sure if that’s better or worse? It’s probably what’s made me most question the coach.

No real point was just poking fun with the West Ham point, I take it your dad or granddad were originally from Islington?

My point still kinda stands though, you were lucky to be born into an Arsenal supporting family, If everyone in your family supported Layton orient you would dream of your club getting passed the first round of the FA cup, Luckily for you you’ve seen more success in your lifetime from the club you were born into supporting than people who’s entire family support normal football teams that never win anything

Sounds like “you should be grateful to God because you were born in Europe and not in Africa where they haven’t any type of food to eat”.

I don’t understand your point of view in this case, Kaner.

1 Like

Right, so I’m lucky I’m an am Arsenal fan @Kaner. I can get on board with that idea. But I don’t know what I’m then supposed to do with this notion.

Is the point really that I should simply be happy that I’ve seen some success and not expect any more because at the end of the day Leyton Orient fans wish they’d had our level of success?

I don’t see why us being better, historically and presently, than a lot of clubs is a reason why Arsenal fans should accept stagnation and mismanagement of our club. Do we have to wait until we are on the level of some of the teams below us before getting dissatisfied? Or would you be there telling us that we should be satisfied with the situation because 80% (rather than 99%) of other teams and fans would still like to be in our shoes?

4 Likes

Name another set of supporters, of a top team, that would tolerate 10 years of not competing for their national league or Europe, without sacking their manager?

Quite frankly, Arsene is lucky to still have this job.

6 Likes

I’m very very sure we will see a lot more success from our club in our lifetimes., again that’s more than most football fans could ever dream of

You can say we haven’t all you want but we have competed and been pretty close to winning the league in the past 10 years

And therein lies the problem. You’ve set your bar so low, that merely coming close in a season is laudable.

It’s like some strange version of Pavlov’s dog.

2 Likes

What makes it worse we’re not even doing such silly things as scoring more goals or conceding less, despite our improvement in quality. It’s full hand-brake and Wenger needs to find a way to show any kind of noticeable improvement to regain trust in him and his team or else we may really see us drop comfortably behind the ones we’re challenging when it comes to attractiveness (and pulling power) in the PL and that’s when we as fans may just be happy with the participation medal in the CL for qualifying, which honestly would be disappointing for a manager of his stature and a club as big as Arsenal.

Kaner has always been the ultimate AKB. To suggest that we’ve competed for the league in the last 10 years is laughable. Falling out of the title race in March/early April (and most times earlier anyway) is not competing for the title. Failing to advance past the last 16 in Europe for the last half decade is failure. Winning 2 FA cups brought Wenger more time but the patience of the fans has worn thin and rightly so.

I have been an ardent supporter of Wenger for years now. But like many I have begun to see the limitations in our manager and the obvious failings and still trying to blindly defend Wenger against the viable and valid criticisms being levelled at him is frankly embarrassing.

One of the highest paid managers in the world at one of the wealthiest clubs in the world and the results simply haven’t good enough.

It’s not even like we play nice football anymore.

5 Likes