Riyad Mahrez

Takuma I-aint-got-a-work-permit Asano. @morrisc311 has something to say about this signing I’m sure.

I know he aint got a work permit, but he does look a talent and has another 10 years to improve…can’t fault the signing really if he did have a work permit i wouldn’t mind seeing him in a striker role here i reckon he could do a job, but we all know if that happened Wenger wouldn’t go in the market for a ready made striker instead of a young project.

Talk about a strawman…I think I know who you refer to with y’all, but amazing that your best response is to get defensive and group me in with them just so you have something to argue against.

Basically:
-if it would’ve been hailed widely as “underwhelming” or not is of no importance to me or the argument.
-What do I care about Jozy Altidore? There’s a million statistics you could come up with like this, like Mahrez, how many shit players like Jozy Altidore can I name that had similar statistics to him before he moved from France? So what? That’s not an argument at all, so again, don’t pretend like it’s registering with me as one, even if you think it’s useful in it’s disingenuous effect it could have on some, maybe even including yourself.
-No one who is not entirely unrealistic actually expects us to be signing a world class striker for big money. That’s not happening, just as it wasn’t happening last summer with Benzema. And if it did, it would just be a huge, incredible surprise. But no one is holding us to that. The sum of our realistic aspirations this summer would be Lacazette. If we do less than that, say, Janssen, I would be skeptical if we did enough, but of course Janssen could later prove me wrong, and Wenger right.
-In what way at all have you responded to my arguments, the meat of which are (for transparency’s sake, I’ll admit that this is a rhetorical question, because I know you haven’t in the least):

2 Likes

We sure as hell would have also called Suarez an underwhelming signing because he only scored as many goals as Altidore in the Eredivisie.

1 Like

The chances are he goes the way of miyachi and park but yea I dont really care about the signing I just think the work permit thing is pertinent if people are passing him off as a signing. Seriously or not.

I wasn’t being defensive (what would I be defensive about since this isn’t about me?) nor was I lumping you with anyone except the board in general. The usual complainers (of which you have become one) would not have been impressed. And it’s highly unlikely that Arsenal would have paid £17 million or more for Janssen that they would have followed it up with the big name striker that the general board concensus – you included – want. Maybe Arsenal will bring in somebody better before the window is over. Maybe not. Let’s wait and see. But I don’t think Janssen would have been a popular acquisition at the time – which is what I was saying.

Hell, they might as well just call West Brom and buy Berahino. Charlie Austin is probably available too. If you want somebody really good, wouldn’t you rather get somebody good at the deadline than settle for second rate just to get it done early? The fact is that I don’t know what’s going to happen in the next two weeks and neither do you. All we have to go on is the crap that’s printed on the internet. So since I don’t know what will happen, I see no reason to panic. If Arsenal buys a top quality center back and a top striker, that will be wonderful. Nobody on this board will be more happy about it than me. If not, I will continue to support the guys Arsenal already has and I’ll give them a chance. Either way, it
s not the end of the world.

Damned most impatient and reactionary bunch I’ve ever encountered.

1 Like

Moondoggie
Damned most impatient and reactionary bunch I’ve ever encountered.

Name me another lot of supporters that would tolerate waiting more than four seasons for a striker, or buying just one first team player, apart from a GK, in the l last twotransfer windows.

You talk as if this has only just happened rather than been going on for several seasons.

What other club behaves do slowly in the transfer market?

2 Likes

Yes!

1 Like

Very good article imo! Do we really need Mahrez? The ‘just sign someone’ syndrome I think is real in alot of fans. We got Ox, Walcott, Sanchez, Ramsey, what we really need is a cb and striker!

1 Like

Yeh, amazing quality those :rolling_eyes:

7 Likes

I found that blog post to be uninteresting and uninformative. As you said, devoid of any analysis

JLH I’m with you bruh, don’t mind the negative Nancy’s our squad is legit.

1 Like

Who cares what we do. We’re fans. It’s the managers job to shut us up when we think a signing is underwhelming. His job is to prove us wrong because we don’t get paid 8 million a year to know if fucking Janssen can score goals and be a good player here.

You’re a scumbag. A person that blames their fellow fans for being fans is the lowest form of life. Fans don’t owe managers anything. Managers owe fans everything.

2 Likes

No work permit = guaranteed continental league experience. Good business that.

Arsenal bought a pretty good first team striker summer before last. He just happens to be injured. And Arsenal has not bought a goalkeeper in the last two transfer windows. They bought Xhaka in this transfer window and Elneny in the last one. Cech was in the one before that.

It’s not Arsene Wenger’s job to shut you up. It’s his job to ignore you and focus on managing the team. And maybe the reason it’s Arsene Wenger’s job to know if “Janssen can score goals and be a good player here” is because he actually knows something about the job and you don’t.

Your only job is to get all pissy and childish and start calling people names when they disagree with you. And you’re doing a good job of it. Keep it up.

1 Like

I’ve bolded (and highlighted, when one followed another) the obvious rhetorical arguments/fallacies here. Don’t think they even deserve response tbh.

As for the parts that do, of course we don’t know what’s going to happen in the next couple of weeks. Hence why I said: [quote=“AbouCuellar, post:722, topic:287”]
Anyways, we’ve got absolutely no excuse not to sign a striker (and a CB). Wenger can fuck right off if he doesn’t do that, tbh. The only excuse for not already having someone like Janssen on our books is if we sign someone better. There’s literally not one excuse I can think of for Wenger if he fails to do this, I don’t think even the most apologetic fellow manager or football exec in the game could think of one for him.
[/quote]

Which, naturally, you still haven’t even begun to respond to. To be clear, your points would only make sense if I had said:

“Wenger can fuck right off when he doesn’t do that”

So no Mahrez then…

Let me try this one more time.

The only excuse for not already having someone like Janssen on our books is if we sign someone better.

Spurs signed Janssen on July 12. One of the few things we actually know (unless Olympique Lyonnais was lying in its club statement) is that Arsenal bid £30 million for Alexandre Lacazette two weeks after Spurs signed Janssen. So obviously Wenger has put some effort into signing somebody better than Janssen. Thus your statement makes no sense. Had Wenger bought Janssen on July 12, the striker search would have been over. There would have been precisely zero chance of signing someone better. So your options here are to settle for Janssen or to try to sign somebody better.

I prefer to keep trying to sign somebody better because (and again, I’m no scout nor do I pretend to be one on the internet) I don’t see Janssen as necessarily a better option than Arsenal already has on the squad. My point in bringing up Jozy Altidore was that scoring a bunch of goals in Holland doesn’t necessarily translate to the Premier League. It might. But chances are he’s not going to suddenly be that world class striker that so many of you believe Arsenal must have. I don’t know that he’s going to be any better option in 2016 than would Berahino or Austin (which is why I brought them up).

So if you prefer to settle for a huge gamble just to get things done quickly, that’s your prerogative. I’d rather Arsenal keep trying to pull in the best striker they can. I don’t care if it goes down to the very last minute of the transfer window. There will still be 35 games left. Plus the Champions League and the FA Cup. So I’d rather have somebody good for 35 games than somebody who represents a gamble for 38. It’s just common sense. And I realize you haven’t counted out making that big striker signing, but you would be ruling it out by settling for Janssen in mid-July. Maybe Wenger won’t be able to sign that big striker. But at least he’s been trying. He didn’t throw in the towel and sign Janssen for the sake of getting it done quickly.

That’s just how every Arsenal related article is these days, with the blog post being extra not worthy anyone’s time. In most cases you know everything after reading the head line as the rest is just the same argument recycled from the summer before.