Petr Cech

He is refering to Cech’s save against Bournemouth. The one Afobe shot during one of the corners.

but yes, thank goodness Son was a coward there.

Why’s that relevant to his distribution, did Cech cause the corner? I remember the incident but not the build up.

no a4tt was talking about the save.

Oh right now I get you, thought A4TT was talking about the Son intervention on his knees. Cheers.

Yeah the save he just made this last week against Bournemouth. At 2 - 1 that’s a huge save. Probably would end 2 - 2 if Cechs positioning and reflexes aren’t so spot on.

2 Likes

Yeh I’m in no hurry to replace Cech, even with him slowing down and the fact that he’d probably have more chance at saving a penalty if he vacated the box to mind fuck the player, he’s still amazing compared to anything we have had in the last number of years.

We could do with a few more well placed WC old heads throughout the team.

2 Likes

Yeah you are right tbh.

What I mentioned earlier was that without Giroud in the team our key outlet for playing upfield (from the keeper) is lost, and if you compare Cech to other top rated keepers he is pretty dire with getting the ball where it needs to go, either to instigate an attack or to just take advantage of a gap.

However he is absolutely better than anything we have had prior, that isn’t remotely in doubt, but there is certainly room for viable and relatively inexpensive improvement.

1 Like

I’m uncomfortable with Cech having some special status as undisputed Arsenal GK. Chelsea didn’t treat him with with such huge sentiment when it was clear he was declining and a better talent emerged, neither should we. We should actively be on the look out for quality young goalkeepers to displace Cech

3 Likes

Good news then, he doesn’t. Theres already two guys who deputise for him to a decent level and theres another lad still on our books minding the sticks over in Rome. This isn’t a position we need to be madly pursuing but as always if we can improve it, we should.

Yeah we have Ospinaaaaaaaa. Best backup in the league. Hopefully when the time comes he is the replacement full time

1 Like

Ospina ain’t in the same class as the likes of De Gea/Lloris/Cech et al.

I agree he’s a great back up but we should be looking at having a world class player as our No.1.

Hopefully by the time Cech retires Wenger will be gone and we won’t have a manager who will spend the best part of a decade negating such a vital position.

4 Likes

Another chance for Petr Cech to maybe save a penalty for once…

…ah nope. Still shit at them.

4 Likes

Worst in the league at saving penalties without a shadow of a doubt.

I’m sure you have detailed analysis to back this up.:slight_smile:

1 Like

I will get his Arsenal Statistics later but he hasn’t saved one in his one and a half years at the club.

We seem to have conceded quite a few of them recently, anyone know how many?

Not been much in the way of red cards for or against us so far this season, but early in the season we had a few penalties go our way and it seems in the last couple of months we’ve conceded more than a couple too.

In the league Im pretty sure we have been awarded 4 penalties ( 2 of which we have missed ) Conceded 5 penalties ( all 5 have been scored )

1 Like

In his career, in all competitions (international, club), he has faced 64 and saved 16.

That’s a rate of about 36% saved.

5 given against us this season.

1 Like

Fair enough, thanks.

Cech’s record better than it appears on the surface then, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that percentage was a little higher before he played for us.