Per Mertesacker

Look out for the signing of someone aging and useless from MUFC …oooops we are there allready !
Deja vou all over again !

The best way to conclude transfers is to offer the price the club actually wants.

6 Likes

It might be worth a try.
I’ve heard rumours that other clubs try this strategy and sometimes it works.

5 Likes

Source? Sounds dodgy and a bit of a gamble to me!

2 Likes

Many congratulations to our Big Fucking German. The captain for me should be capable to be the trade union between all the “souls” into the squad.

Mertesacker is it.

Will be hard to replace him on the pitch as leader. In this case, figures like Santi Cazorla, Petr Cech and Koscielny will be perfect.

1 Like

Pfft he has been captain for last 2 seasons anyway.

Lead more than 60 games as captain.

I love Per but I really wish we would adapt to the landscape in front of us more often. He’s out for half a year, honestly just give the C and VC to people that will be playing. I know the armband means nothing anymore but that’s down to our own doing with the real captain for each season always being the vice captain to someone injured.

confirmed as new captain too :frowning:

Per Mertesacker believes the serious knee injury he suffered in July will not spell the end of his career at Arsenal.

Mertesacker has not featured for Arsene Wenger’s side since suffering the problem during pre-season and is not expected to return to fitness until the early stages of 2017.

Summer arrival Shkodran Mustafi has formed a solid partnership with Laurent Koscielny during the early stages of the campaign and Mertesacker’s role as an automatic starter at the Emirates Stadium appears to be in jeopardy.

But the former Germany international, whose contract expires at the end of the season, is determined to stay upbeat and is adamant he could still have a key role to play for the Gunners.

“I believe that I can reach a level again on which I am important for the team. I have the feeling that this is not the end,” Mertesacker told Kicker.

"I look at the perspectives for me and my family, and I think that I’ll intensify those thoughts from January on.

“That’s also the time when you can listen to other things [offers] when your contract is expiring.”

Given that Mertesacker is 32 concerns have been raised in regards to his ability to get back to the top level, having already entered the twilight years of his career.

But the central defender believes giving himself enough time will be the most crucial factor in his recovery as rushing back too early could curtail his career.

"I know that I need to allow myself time. The more time I allow my knee, the longer I’ll be able to play football.

“I can increase the workload already and I am no longer in pain,” he added.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/per-mertesacker-believes-he-can-still-be-an-important-player-for-arsenal-when-he-recovers-from-knee-a3361161.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Captain curse strikes again :wenger:

Can’t see him getting another contract. Probs back to Bundesliga on a free then? Been a brilliant servant to Arsenal football club but like Arteta his time has passed.

1 Like

I think he’ll get a one-year extension

1 Like

Hope so. it’s bullshit if he doesn’t really unless hes properly fucked post injury.

Surprised at that Sham. Personally don’t think he is good enough anymore and I imagine at this point in his career he would want to play every week which he won’t here.

1 Like

Per’s probably not the best to use full time anymore but I’d still love to keep him for backup or rotational defender. I guess it just depends what he wants from his career. Tons of game time, or somewhere where he feels at home.

1 Like

Always been a big Per fan. He gets way too much grief for my liking.

Hard to know if he wants to play every week,i know if it was me I’d put more value on being at a bigger club, but thats me. He has over 600 career appearances too so its not like hes miased a load of games over the years.

4 Likes

We have a lot of CB’s though. One of Gabriel/Chambers/Per has to leave next summer IMO.

[quote=“Calum, post:115, topic:105”]
We have a lot of CB’s though. One of Gabriel/Chambers/Per has to leave next summer IMO.
[/quote]Sounds like that might make a good discussion for another thread, all have their pros and cons, be interesting to get thoughts from others on who should stay and who should go :slight_smile:

1 Like

meh, should’ve signed Gary Cahill.

I dont see any reason we can’t keep them all. Unless we sign more players and dont have a spare squad space.

@AbouCuellar id have been happy with Cahill when we were after him but I’m very glad we ended up signing Per instead.

That was another BradyMagic joke. For me we definitely made the right call going for Per.

I didnt miss the joke. :slight_smile: