Old Invincibles vs New Invincibles (FA Cup)

Maitland-Niles is an option at defensive midfield don’t forget. Zelalem should really be playing in this as well, unless we’ve lined him up another loan.

I can see Wenger paying lip service to the Fa Cup this season, perhaps due to the most serious threat he’s ever faced in losing his super duper top 4 consistency record.

A similar level team to Forest away in the League Cup, or possibly weaker with the injuries.

Missing/rested: Sanchez, Ozil, Walcott, Perez, Coquelin, Cazorla, Elneny, Gibbs, Debuchy, Koscielny

He seems to be a skilled player and we are bare bones when it comes to midfielders at the moment. I think he’d play well there.

1 Like

Ospina; Jenkinson or Mustafi, Holding, Gabriel, Nacho; Niles, Xhaka; Oxlade, Ramsey or Ozil, Walcott, Lucas or Danny.

All my predictions go wrong so I’ll stay silent.

2 Likes

Welbeck might make the bench.

Predict us to lose or draw then buddy.

2 Likes

I miss Eddy and his 6-0 predictions :santi:

3 Likes

I’m expecting a win, but it wouldn’t shock me if we lost. It really wouldn’t. We need to take Preston serious.

I’d rest Alexis Cech Bellerin and Kos for this game. I’d play a strong enough 11 to do a job. I really think Wenger will need to take the FA Cup serious, if he has any plans of wanting to stay (even though winning the FA Cup might not be good enough anymore) I think this is his best chance of silverware, if we avoid any shocks and avoid the better teams until later rounds. The Cups don’t get exciting for me until the quarter finals. For me its our best chance of any success this season sadly.

1 Like

It strikes me as outrageous that winning the FA cup might not be considered ‘good enough’ anymore. I don’t think that’s a sign of ‘ambition’ it is just disrespect to a wonderful competition. I agree that it is his best chance of silverware, but even if it is easier to win than the league, I wish fans would stop belittling it (not meaning you personally, but football fans in general).

5 Likes

Its nice to win without a doubt but its the Priority of what managers at top clubs should be judged on.

1 Like

The Fa Cup lost it’s value once the holder’s UTD and the FA themselves chose a shitty tournament in Brazil over defending it in 2000, it’s nice winning it and I’m sorry if you think I’m belittling it but we should be aiming for PL titles and CL’s titles. You think winning a FA Cup at Chelsea, City and UTD will help a manager keep his job if they bottled the league and CL, no chance but at Arsenal you know Wenger will be given a 5 year contract and half the fanbase will celebrate it like it’s the CL. That tells you how far we fallen. Maybe I’m greedy but shouldn’t we all want better. We just gave agree to disagree on this one.

1 Like

Rested.

Optimistic me: Glad he is getting a rest, he needs it.

Pessimistic me: This is potentially punishment for his ‘outburst’ after the Bournemouth game. Or he’s leaving.

1 Like

Good - would have been ridiculous to risk Sanchez on Preston - need him fit for the rest of the season… curious what happens in midfield with all our injuries.

Sanchez must play the majority of league games if we are to get that 4th place come May.

1 Like

Wenger says he’s going strong for this, but it’s hard to see how really, given our injury situation (which all of a sudden seems to have ballooned), plus the ineligible ones and the rested players: Sanchez, Cech, Koscielny…Ozil? I will be surprised if Ozil makes an appearance tomorrow, the guy may have trained, but it’s a big decision for Wenger to make on him. I still think we’ll have enough with our available players to avoid the dreaded 3rd round Cupset, but we have so many players unavailable that Preston could take us if they’re on their game. Lack of bench options etc.

Ospina

Bellerin Gabriel Holding Monreal

Ramsey Xhaka

Chamberlain Iwobi Perez*

Giroud

*Reine-Adelaide if not

Bench will have da Silva, Willock and Maitland-Niles, Reine-Adelaide, surely Welbeck, maybe Walcott/Ozil

1 Like

Bellerin should be rested for this IMO. Jenkinson or AMN will hopefully play

1 Like

Personally don’t want to see any more minutes wasted on Jenkinson at this club.

1 Like

Could well be Maitland-Niles, more likely at RB as you say. I’m really not sure Jenkinson is going to play for Arsenal again.

1 Like

Just play Gabriel there really, I think Jenkinson’s fault is he’s a championship level player who’s manager isn’t ruthless enough to know it. Feel for the poor lad, but too many excuses are made for him cause he’s “Arsenal through and through”, couldn’t care less if he ain’t good enough then he ain’t good enough. I definitely think we won’t see him again in Arsenal shirt. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s let go this January.

1 Like