Mikel Arteta (Soon to be Mr. Manager)

He’s just saying his opinion. Calm down lol

1 Like

Is it his opinion though?

It’s more likely what he thinks he should say

Lampard is one of the best pundits in the UK tbh. I believe it will be his opinion

read people.

‘I welcome the news that Arteta is FAVOURITE to become the new Arsenal manager.’

Not, ‘is going’ but is favourite. Which he is

Bollocks. I said it numerous times as have others.

You are the only people

Arteta’s reading of the game and defensive know-how was surprisingly good imo. He understood what a disciplined and mature performance was, both on and off the ball. Something sadly quite rare at this club.

For me, he’s yet another footballer denied credit that his work deserved because of out-of-date aesthetic expectations within the sport. For such a dynamic sport the respect for detail is really quite low even among highly paid TV pundits.

I personally believe signing him is one of the very few outright success stories in Arsenal’s recent transfer history, given the context of the club’s position at the time of his signing. He was a very important short-term stabilising cog in that midfield.

I don’t care for comparisons with other number 6’s we’ve had and all these individual battles going on. What matters is he delivered performances we needed during a certain time we needed it. I think him at his physical best would have done an important job in any top possession team.

The big issue with Arteta was longevity - given that he’d joined in the twilight of his career. He just couldn’t physically cope after the September 2011-December 2013 time period. Wenger was totally irresponsible for keeping him as the first choice option after that.

3 Likes

:arteta: Joke of a club.

1 Like

Feels like 2011 again with the Arteta thread in the rumour mill. #AnnounceArteta

2 Likes

I’d thought it is quite telling that the pinnacle of his career has been a mediocre Arsenal team. But his quality probably wasn’t recognised…

Anyway. If his appointment is meant as the continuation of a certain style I hope he can learn proper pressing and compact defending to this team.

The one good thing about Arteta is that if anyone can teach Xhaka how to play the DLP role and anticipate both teamates positions before passing and to coach defensive positioning despite a lack of speed it is probably him.

So far only @Electrifying and @Calum are supporting Arteta ahahah :mustafi:

I think the way the club are staggering about making the announcement of a new manager is indicative of who has always been on charge of our transfer policies. Delay, delay, delay. It’s always the board playing silly beggars. The last time we made an early signing was Sanchez in 2014.

The only hope I can muster here is that the Italian league season isn’t over yet. Allegri talks can only be finalised (I hope to God talks have taken place covertly beforehand) after the Serie A season has been concluded.

If it was going to be Arteta, it would have been announced by now. Can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t have been

4 Likes

I can forgive you if this didn’t stick in your mind lol

5 Likes

I don’t see how that’s really an argument against him, not fault in 2011 he played in probably the worst Arsenal team talent wise under Wenger and 2012-13 it was probably second worst.

I was thinking the same thing.
If it was another manager who was already in a job, they would have to wait until the club had finished the season, but as Arteta isn’t managing anywhere there is no real reason it hasn’t been announced.
But I’m sure it will still be him.

Maybe they’re waiting for Arteta to finish colouring in his, “How To Manage A PL Football Club For Beginners” book, before they announce it :grinning:

Why would it already have been announced if it was Arteta?

It doesn’t have to be, but he isn’t in managerial position and if he is the person the board want then why not announce it after Wenger has left straight away.

Exactly. Besides, all we know is the club is holding/has held talks with him. That doesn’t mean they don’t have other candidates for the job. Its possible Arteta is the first of the candidates they spoke to, and they will hold talks with others in the coming few days before making their decision. It’s also possible they spoke to Arteta about a different job, perhaps an assistant manager with the aim of taking over sometime in the future. Who knows?

As far as we know it has been done but they are approaching others for the technical staff etc. An (official) announcement is the least important of it all.